Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
500 and 750 cc Harleys (Liquid cooled) (Read 367 times)
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
500 and 750 cc Harleys (Liquid cooled)
11/04/13 at 18:41:46

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: 500 and 750 cc Harleys (Liquid cooled)
Reply #1 - 11/04/13 at 18:55:41

Hmmmm......HD comes out with something new and it's the same old "V" shaped powerplant. And water-buffalos to boot????? I was really hoping they would bring out a big-bore single or a paralell twin with a 270* crank.

Oh well....... looks like Triumph is still the king!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #2 - 11/04/13 at 20:34:57

Triumph needs a 500 twin!!!! Just copy the old one with a modern engine. The future of motorcycles is downsizing. With smaller engines making more HP and better mpg there's no point in riding a hog.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 11/04/13 at 21:10:42

Looks like Harley bought some old Honda VT engines... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 11/04/13 at 22:52:37

Serowbot wrote on 11/04/13 at 21:10:42:
Looks like Harley bought some old Honda VT engines... Huh...

I was gonna say that...  Angry

I bleed HD black and orange. Unfortunately for me, HD went out of business in 1964. If it isn't 6v kick only, it is NOT a Harley Davidson. So, 8 years before I hatched, the Motor Company quit making the real thing.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 11/05/13 at 00:25:20

I gotta say, that I like the looks of the new H.D. Street 500/750s ... and am curious to see more stats on the 750 to compare with my '06 VT750DC Spirit ... particularly the HP numbers ... it already beats the DC Spirit with EFI, a 6 speed tranny, belt drive and rear disc brake ('06 Spirit = dual carb, 5-spd, chain drive & rear drum).

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 11/05/13 at 00:51:15

I put about 5k on Honda vt500,.. and it was a fantastic little motor...
Nice sound,.. good pull, it would do 105mph tops, and the 6th gear was a real OD (it dropped rpm's to a purr at 80)...
The styling was very "Jap chopper", and it felt that way...  I never felt anything but geeky on it... but, it looks like Harley fixed that...(one thing Harely does pretty good, is make bikes that aren't geeky looking)...
So,.. it actually could be a darn good line of bikes...
I'm just not sure the HD crowd will accept them as real Harleys...
A 500 air-cooled single (which they already have a motor for, would have sold like hot cakes)...
The Blast motor was pretty good,... but the styling on that thing was as bad an imitation of sport bike, as 80's Jap bikes were of Harleys...

I just can't understand why I'm not the CEO of something... I'm so much smarter than most of them...
They could at least ask me first... Undecided...
I'd hire out as a corporate consultant for a flat million per job...
Huh...

Pass the word... Grin Grin Grin...

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 11/05/13 at 02:05:48

Methinks that these new Street models are Harley-Davidson's latest foray into expanding their liquid-cooled line-up ...which they of course, started with the V-Rod ... be interesting to see where this goes ... and to see if Yamahog will answer with a Bolt-like replacement for the 650 V-Star ... and if Suzuki will finally get around to replacing the LS650/VS800 models with a truly modern Roadster to compete in that segment ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 11/05/13 at 02:55:16

It is interesting that HD has gone this way, but a wise move too.  They need to get into this market for survival/market increase.
As already stated, it will be interesting to see how this compares to Honda's engines of the same size.  When I looked at them that thought came to my mind immediately.

I think Suzuki should turn the LS650 back into a standard type street bike like the 250 they have now, redo the head so it has a proper exhaust port like the old DR650, with a similar camshaft, update with FI and a good exhaust system.
It would be a good running basic motorcycle with plenty of power for general purpose riding/commuting/etc and be affordable for a lot of people.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 11/05/13 at 04:58:01

I don't really care for the looks of it personally.  A few nice features, but the huge-ass radiator is hideous.  I do see it as a nice canvas for lots of cool mods though.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #10 - 11/05/13 at 05:54:20

To me the new bikes looks like a Suzuki S50 and a Yamaha Bolt mated and had a fugly child. I'll stick with the Intruder/S50 over a copy of a Jap bike made in India. And Babyhog is right, that huge radiator has to go. That radiator makes the one on my 750 Intruder look tiny.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 11/05/13 at 07:19:03

I dunno why they went to water cooled. I can understand getting into the smaller / lighter bike territory. IIRC, I heard that for the first time in years their new bike sales had dropped. I know Ive seen plenty of guys riding a bigger HD whose gal was on a sportster. Ive seen them look at me, on Bull, & I know those looks were " I wish I had a bike that size"..
Water cooled just adds an element to maintenance & make it heavier,,
Im not a fan,.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #12 - 11/05/13 at 07:57:21

+ 1 to most of the comments.

I wish HD well on these bikes. I am not a fan of water for waters sake, I have to assume its to rein in emissions. ( a more stable temp, gives the FI computer something to work with).  First thing I went looking for .. weight.. well that sits good with me 480 wet... not bad!

They seem to really want this bike for other markets (outside the US). So even if it fails here... it may succeed elsewhere.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #13 - 11/05/13 at 08:42:23

Liquid cooling allows for closer tolerances in the engineering ... which should give more HP per cc than a comparitively sized air-cooled unit ...

Read on another site that the new H.D. Street 750 should be putting out 50+HP ... that's roughly equivalent to Suzuki's VS800 Intruder/S50 at approx. the same weight and more than the Honda VT750DC Spirit @ 45 or so HP for 500+lbs

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 11/05/13 at 08:44:19

On the bright side.... maybe my 883 won't be a "girls", "beginners" bike anymore...
Embarrassed...
Danggit'!... Do you have to ride a road barge to be a man?... (I think it's affecting my hormonal balance, lately...
...I'm getting moody)... Undecided...
Grin Grin Grin...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:27:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › 500 and 750 cc Harleys (Liquid cooled)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.