Send Topic Print
old guys (Read 143 times)
canmabe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

old guys
11/04/13 at 12:01:17

How many old guys out there>I am 67,just got a ls 650..Too old to learn, never rode before?Nervous.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: old guys
Reply #1 - 11/04/13 at 12:14:40

We recently took an age poll... see the results here -   http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1380662219

We have alot of old farts around here.  Age is just a number.  If you're body and mind are up to it, I don't think there is a "too old" to learn.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
canmabe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 11/04/13 at 12:29:12

Thanks for the link.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #3 - 11/04/13 at 13:33:55

canmabe wrote on 11/04/13 at 12:01:17:
How many old guys out there>I am 67,just got a ls 650..Too old to learn, never rode before?Nervous.

I advise every new rider to take a motorcycle safety course. At least in PA, it's free and well worth the time

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 11/04/13 at 15:24:36

canmabe wrote on 11/04/13 at 12:01:17:

Welcome to the party dude.  
I'm 64 and been riding a while and intend to continue for as long as I can swing a leg.
Fresh air helps keep you young and virile.
Yep, it's an absolute fact.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 11/04/13 at 16:05:17

LANCER wrote on 11/04/13 at 15:24:36:
... intend to continue for as long as I can swing a leg....

If you can't swing over the saddle, get a step-through scooter and continue riding.

WWW   IP Logged
walterpump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern Ontario
Reply #6 - 11/04/13 at 16:45:14

72 yrs of age here.
Sold my bmw650 fall 2012 and thought that's it, riding is done.
Nope; got the urge again and bought a 2003 Savage in September this year.  Have 3000 kilometers on it and having loads of fun.
Hope for at least one more ride, maybe this week, before winter sets in in Ontario, Canada.
Take Care guys & girls

Modding Madness
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #7 - 11/04/13 at 18:39:12

I'm on the young side of the "old farts" group at 58 1/2. When I started riding way back in 1973 it was rare to see someone my present age still riding,and most of those were on BMWs. Biking was a young mans game back then due to the toll those old scoots (and the parties and lifestyle)took on your body.

Biking has taken on a completely different slant today. It's become more mainstream and acceptable for one thing. The equipment has become more dependable and easier on the body too.so it's not uncommon to see couples well into their 70's still riding,even touring cross-country.

As suggested by "limpaway", do the MSF rider course. Take it easy and just get out and ride. And always remember Zars' rule #1.......Ride Your Own Ride! Translated to plain english...don't let anyone push you...don't try to keep up with a group or otherwise try to ride beyond your comfort level. Follow that and you'll be just fine.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 11/04/13 at 21:55:15

CanMaby

Turned 60 last Feb.  I spent one year of my adult life with-out a bike (Collage,took to much funding).   Well it was the worst year ever !   I'm making up for it now with a S-40 and a 883 both !

Hope to meet ya some time next summer if not befor  Smiley.

Where you from ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 11/04/13 at 23:05:01

My father in law will be 88 on Thursday and is driving me crazy trying ti get me to fix the 1971 CL100 stashed in the barn. He still wants to ride (even though his car license should have been pulled 20 years ago, yeah, he's that scary behind the wheel).

My Dad on the other hand is 68, and hasn't ridden since 1964 0r 1965. I just rehomed the 1963 Honda CL72 I was redoing for him, he said that with 2 fake knees it wasn't worth it.

Now me, I'm chronologically 41, physiologically in my late 70s. Been off the road for 3 years, that ends in the next month or so. Being w/o a working bike for that long has been torture. I've had over 100 street legal motorcycles. Most of them points fired and kick start only. Started looking today for the Savage's replacement, as I need something a bit more comfortable as a primary bike. Savage will be stretched 6 inches rearwards, get a chain conversion, round frame backbone, 4.75 gallon fuel tank, rigid frame... I'm 6'2" and change, around 240 pounds, so the stock frame relegates the Savage to "cute little toy motorcycle" status.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
anebv8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rangiora,New Zealand
Reply #10 - 11/04/13 at 23:26:46

Wink  Smiley

1450200_541113339300301_351833135_n.jpg

Ago Solvo Intereo Puteus
  IP Logged
walterpump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southern Ontario
Reply #11 - 11/07/13 at 09:43:58

Went for a 3 hour ride on Tues 5th Nov.  Temp was approx 55F and sunny.  Awesome ride for November.  Might get out again this weekend.  At 72 yrs of age this riding is awesome and I think I like my Savage best of all the rides I have had over the years.
Will have to post a pic soonSmiley

Modding Madness
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #12 - 11/07/13 at 11:05:33

WD my first road bike was a CL100. Back then the speed limit was 55, the bike would do 69. Rode it over 20,000 miles. All I ever did was replace the timing chain. I'd ride it back then it was fine on what was called an interstate. It would cruise all day at 55. In 1975 I bought a limited edition Honda 350 and I thought I was king of the road. 85mph, wow. As far as age I'm just 59 but my doc says due to my disability I have the body of at least a 70 year old. Some days like today I feel like I'm 100. I'm hurting so bad theres tears coming out of my eyes. The goverment outlawed my pain pills beginning the first of the year and I dont know what I'm gonna do. Suffer I guess. I've still got my baby Ninja but the carbs are stopped up. Sri was gonna help me rebuild them, (cant see that well anymore) but he's dissapeared off the grid. My diabetes along with Lupus really scwews with my eyesight. Somedays I refuse to drive a car but I would love to get the Ninja running again.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 11/08/13 at 20:37:46

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:27:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › old guys

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.