Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Breathing / Vents (no air box) (Read 77 times)
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Breathing / Vents (no air box)
10/29/13 at 18:57:30

Ok so I've done the mini bat mod and eliminated the breathing system.

Now I'm wondering how best to deal with the breathing system without this.

I've got the tube coming out the head cover, and the carb drains as well to deal with.

Should I just put that tube into a remote separate of some kind and then route that back into the carb intake? Collect all of the carb drains (VM36) and route them down to the road?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Breathing / Vents (no air box)
Reply #1 - 10/29/13 at 23:02:11

If I understand correctly,.. the "carb drains" are actually vents, and should be directed upward, not down... open to atmosphere, no need to cover of block...
The larger crankcase vent, should be given some kind of filter...
You can buy nifty looking mini filters that will fit the end of that tube... or, at a minimum, stuff a copper/stainless steel kitchen scrubby into the tube...(the object is to restrict oil vapor from escaping, and allow it time to condense and return to the crankcase)...(also to prevent dirty air from being sucked back into the crankcase)... but,.. it does need to vent to atmosphere, just like the carb vents...
I'd go with a little mini filter,.. if I couldn't find a way to route the vented oil back into the carb, like the stock set-up...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
savagebob

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/30/13 at 01:18:20

that's odd cos the carb is brand new and the two vents are actually wired downwards with little fasteners so I assume they are meant to face down.
There is a 3rd vent tube from the bottom which just has a loose tube so I'm not sure where to put that so it looks nice..

Sticking a filter on the end of the crank breather is a simple solution.

But, in my experience with cars, crank breathers are supposed to have a vacuum on them actually 'sucking' on that tube. Which is why people re-route the crank breather into a canister and then back to the intake. Just no room to do that nicely on a bike..(other than factory setup) Undecided Maybe I need to make a mini canister somewhere to separate the oil/air and route that back to the carb intake somehow...

What about the breather line from underneath the fuel tank?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/30/13 at 04:30:48

Yep, on the VM36 you can just leave the factory vents in place as they are, no need to modify or extend them.  The tube from the bottom is and overflow pipe.....and chances are you will never see anything flowing out of it.....provided you don't drop the bike!

The crankcase vent needs to breath.....and either use a small filter or construct a breather box and route a hose back to the intake side of the carb.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 18:27:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Breathing / Vents (no air box)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.