Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
1990 savage transmission issues (Read 247 times)
savageone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ontario,Canada
1990 savage transmission issues
10/13/13 at 13:13:13

Hello folks new to the site and savages,  I ve read the thread closest related to my issues but no answers found just bought the bike about a week ago paid 1500 cdn certified the day before pick up, Po demonstrated it worked as I have no liscence planned on refining skills and getting it in spring any ways first day I rode 2days after pick up works great next time stuck in gear can't put in neutral to start next day pops into neutral fires up great but acts like its only a 2 speed and had a lot of trouble stalling stalled about 10  times had to start once in gear with clutch in as always been told it wouldn't hurt now I can't no matter what get it into neutral tryed to start with clutch in and its trying to lurch forward so is this all clutch adjustment issues or is my transmission toast any help greatly appreciated , this is a huge impostion as I am working on budget

stock 1990 650 recently purchased getting ready for overhaul
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: 1990 savage transmission issues
Reply #1 - 10/13/13 at 19:21:16

Don't know what your experience is,... but, motorcycle tranny's don't like to shift when sitting still... (they work differently than cars)...
A little lurch when starting a cold engine in gear is normal...
And, check that the shift lever is adjusted to a good height for your foot...(it's adjustable)... (new riders have had shifting problems before, that related to bad lever position)...

Transmission problems are very unusual on this bike... it's usually something simple...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 10/14/13 at 03:43:33

Like a bent shift linkage... Making my latest one out of Harley cast offs. Should be around $7 in parts when it is all said and done.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 10/14/13 at 07:41:36

Technique, yes, old clunky mechanical stuff requires it. Its not a computer, cant just poke a button. Stopped, in neutral, holding the clutch lever in allows the tranny guts to stop spinning, if 1st gear isnt lined up inside, its not going in gear. Let out on the clutch just a bit to ,ake things spin again, then itll clunk in & go,.If you stomped on it, then youve also got a bent shift rod now, probably,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/14/13 at 08:13:14

Good shifting technique for just about any occasion...

apply pressure on the shifter in the direction you want to shift,
pull the clutch in, rpm up or down and let it out.  
and in most cases you've changed gears.  sometimes it takes a little more effort, sometimes less.

resist the temptation to stomp on it.  you'll just bend stuff and make it worse.

At a stop, it's the same thing, but don't let the clutch all the way out, just feather it, you'll feel the gear clunk, then repeat till you're in 1st.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 10/14/13 at 08:20:16

Yea,, I rolled up to a stop in 4th once,, ONCE, .. Didnt take a sec to work down thru them. but BOY was I embarrassed..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savageone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ontario,Canada
Reply #6 - 10/14/13 at 09:43:41

thanks guys ill try all of these things and I know its not just a push button everything all works together and i consider it an art im far from perfect but hoping i didnt bend anything or nothing snapped off and jamming it up. as have been gently and when trying to get in gear always roll the bike forward and back its just stuck, sometimes i feel a little wiggle,having a more seasoned rider check it out tomorrow if neither of us can do anything then my local shop does discount work over winter, im fairly mechanically inclined but dont know if i should tackle this

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 10/14/13 at 09:54:29

Have you gently pressed down ( engine off) & rolled it?

IP Logged
savageone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ontario,Canada
Reply #8 - 10/14/13 at 13:38:17

Sure have tried rolling forward back wards second time this happened since purchase shifter will move very slightly but been stuck for a few days ,clutch is dragging slightly almost had it fired up will have to charge battery tonight as i should have done already hoping if I get her started in gear things will move better and let me get it moving will keep updated and hopefully have good news tomorrow

IP Logged
savageone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ontario,Canada
Reply #9 - 10/15/13 at 15:28:09

Well got it started today  started riding up road in hopes it would go into another gear with some movement and nothing i have a single speed bike, so i guess igot to take her apart , can I tackle slow and steady with basic experience or save head ache and go shop route

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 10/15/13 at 15:41:23

I would jack the rear off the ground,
take the shifter arm and see if you can shift up and down while rotating the wheel by hand.

check the shifter for any binding/hitting/rubbing anywhere.
check the link for straightness.

There was one or 2 guys that had there shifter mech's outta place inside the cover.

WWW   IP Logged
savageone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ontario,Canada
Reply #11 - 10/16/13 at 14:32:27

well everyone finally got some access to tools and some answers. Disconnected linkage from spline and where shift lever should have fallen loose it still wouldn't move was able to bend back so now I can shift from first to neutral to second hard into second still nothing beyond that but I'm buying a new shift lever, thanks for everyones help and advice I look forward to learning from everybody

IP Logged
savageone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ontario,Canada
Reply #12 - 10/20/13 at 13:26:13

if I have linkage removed from spline should gearshift lever not move freely ??  It was stuck solid as a rock lithium grease n lots of working at it honestly may have bent it back got it moving  I have first neutral and second but none past that . Since lever was disconnected from trans does this mean bent shifter? And is there anything internal that could make 3,4 just not work or likely all shifter related.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 10/20/13 at 13:38:33

Gonna' guess that it's all shifter related...
Get that fixed before looking for more trouble...

PS.. the shift linkage rod is reverse threaded on one end...

Are you knew to motorcycle riding?...  (I ask because this may be technique related)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
savageone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ontario,Canada
Reply #14 - 10/20/13 at 14:02:56

fairly new like under 2000 km but this is my fourth bike , I thought of it being just me aswell but it was working great all gears parked 2 speeds next time I rode then stuck once parked  disconnect lever got it moving I've got 2 again also seasoned rider tested same issue going to order lever tomorrow will update once I know more just wanted to kinda ease my mind lol

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:21:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1990 savage transmission issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.