Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Leason Learned for the month (Read 67 times)
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Leason Learned for the month
10/22/13 at 18:50:25

Don't turn off your petcock for more than a week your floats will stick and your crank case will flood with fuel  Undecided

It rained mostly every day for 2 weeks so the bike sat, so I had cut the petcock off. Come back two weeks later cut it on ride the block park it and next day smell gas from a flooded carb and crank case /sigh/

IP Logged
rextec
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Leason Learned for the month
Reply #1 - 10/22/13 at 20:26:27

If this happens again turn the petcock on long enough to fill the bowl and tap a plastic screwdriver handle onto the carb bowl to free the float. Works most of the time!

IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #2 - 10/22/13 at 20:56:14

Already pulled the carb and checked it seemed fine put it back together and its still flooding just bought a rebuild kit with a float needle replacement I'm thinking the seal has gone bad on the float needle

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 10/22/13 at 23:18:37

You know you can "Clean-up" the seat with a hand-held drill bit and about 3 turns of light presure ...  Wink ...  a lot of the needles have a rubber tip so be real carefull when you buff the grove out of it - or you'll change the angle of seat between needle and seat.   If ya spin the needle and use a fingernail emreboard its easier than you might think !  Smiley

What have you got to loose ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #4 - 10/23/13 at 07:23:00

If I plan on leaving the bike for any amount of time unriden I typically turn the petcock off and run off the fuel in the carb, never had any issues. If you leave the gas in there to evaporate on it's own then you are left with the sticky residue from the ethanol which can gum stuff up  Huh

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 10/23/13 at 08:26:57

ToesNose wrote on 10/23/13 at 07:23:00:
If I plan on leaving the bike for any amount of time unriden I typically turn the petcock off and run off the fuel in the carb, never had any issues. If you leave the gas in there to evaporate on it's own then you are left with the sticky residue from the ethanol which can gum stuff up  Huh

Yep.....Me too.....only more anally!  On the way home each night I turn the petcock off at the intersection about a mile from my house.  As I pull into my drive to close the gate, the bike is idling and usually runs out of fuel right on time.  I then coast down the drive and park the bike in the garage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 10/23/13 at 08:46:11

I never do nuttin'... Huh...

Pet's on 24/7... only ever shut off to remove the tank or carb...

... once in while, I switch over to reserve just to pull some fuel from the bottom of the tank and exercise the reserve tap...
Undecided...

If my floats stick or seat leaks,.. I'd rather find out with the bike parked, than have it show up while I'm riding on it...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:33:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › Leason Learned for the month

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.