Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Old guys need to cultivate calm & slow down (Read 196 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Old guys need to cultivate calm & slow down
10/16/13 at 07:51:31

When you get old, your capabilities decrease, your memory goes and your temper gets short.   You tend to screw up more & more often.

Angry

Why shouldn't it piss you off?   You have done this stuff a thousand times, now it is screwing up on you .... it is enough to make anybody mad.

I stuck a case last night while resizing primed 30-06 brass.   I had had to cobble up a center spud from a 7.62x39 die set so it wouldn't push out the installed primer since I had primed small number of unsized (but they were deprimed) brass left over from an old experiment.  

Why did I presume it was all sized?   Because I always buy a large lot of milsurp brass when it is really cheap, wash it in the sink to get the dirt off of it, dry it in the oven, bulk lube it all with a little cooking oil, then deprime and full length size it, chamfer the primer crimp off, bevel the mouth some then wash it again to get shavings off, dry it then store it in sealed bags for when I need it.

Except for some of these particular cases ....  deprimed but not sized because they were going to become straight walled wildcat .444 cases I guess.  

Like I said, the memory is the first thing to go.

Anyhow, I was struggling to get the die set up right and I hit a machine gun fired piece of brass that simply cycled in hard and STUCK tight.  I pulled the recessed rim right off the back side of the case when I tried to extract it.

I tried several stuck case tricks but this one was stuck too too good for any of them to work.   All you have to work with is the little flimsy 3/16 steel neck resizing spud and whatever is left of the torn up head.

I was down to the big hammer stage of things, was going to have to order a new resizing die ....  and I was frustrated and I was mad.  

Prime ingredients for mauling and breaking things.

Instead, I went to bed and slept on it.

Got up the next morning, lubed the stuck case/die from both sides with light oil and then put the stuck mess on the eye of the stove on low to warm up some.

Clipped a little quarter inch piece of clear plastic hose as a thread protector to go around the 3/16 spud, got my can of Brake Parts Cleaner and my big 5 pound sledge hammer.

Threaded the piping hot die down into the press, sprayed a good bit of brake parts cleaner down inside the hot brass case (where it did a good Mount Vesuvius impersonation) immediately stuck the piece of plastic on the protruding spud and thumped the little protruding spud and the little tiny bit of clear plastic tubing hard with the big assed hammer.

Hammer blow forced the plastic down inside the threads centralizing the 3/16 spud, drove the spud down to the inside base of the stuck case where the pool of rapidly boiling/evaporating Brake Parts Cleaner had cooled the brass case down inside the still hot steel die body creating a size differential of a thousandth or so (brass expands/contracts more than steel does).

Out she comes ....   pretty as you please.  
The die was not damaged at all.

================

The point of all of this is that as you get older things are going to frustrate you more.   Getting old sucks in a lot of ways but having stuff foul up on your more often is the one that makes me get angry more than all the rest of them.

Gotta cultivate that calm stuff in your head -- the angry stuff just makes it worse.

Don't hurry .... you hurry more you screw up more.

Putting it up for the night and sleeping on it is the better path to take to a good outcome.

This applies to working on your bike, too.

« Last Edit: 10/18/13 at 01:49:19 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Old guys need to cultivate calm & slow down
Reply #1 - 10/16/13 at 08:29:49

Oldfeller wrote:

Quote:
Gotta cultivate that calm stuff in your head -- the angry stuff just makes it worse.

Don't hurry .... you hurry more you screw up more.

Putting it up for the night and sleeping on it is the better path to take to a good outcome.

Words to live by. Ought to be on big poster on the wall of everyones workshop, regardless of their age. I've watched a few young guys start throwing tools around when a job that should have been routine suddenly went to he**.  Sometimes you just have to put the tools down and just walk away for a while.

I've stuck a few cases in my rifle dies - probably from not enough lube - but they were not primed yet so I was able to knock them out with a hammer and punch.

Quote:
When you get old, your capabilities decrease, your memory goes and your temper gets short.   You tend to screw up more & more often.

I use a single stage press. I usually seat the bullet in each case right after charging it with powder. Loading a bunch of 38s not too long ago I picked up a case ,seated the bullet, and tossed the round into a box with the other rounds I had just loaded.  Then realized I hadn't put any powder in that case. Looked in the box and had no idea which one was the squib. Had to pull apart ten or so rounds till I found the empty one. You don't even want to know the names I was callin' myself while I was doing that. Angry

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 10/16/13 at 17:33:11

lad the die wasn't damaged, talk about frustrating huh.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 10/16/13 at 20:05:43

OF I feel your pain, stuck a 30-06 case in a RCBS die a few months ago and went through the same getting it out. Ended up heating the die with a propane torch and cooling the brass with a little water. Still had to use a hammer to break it loose. Think I was resizing some range brass 270 into 30-06.
 Been working on a fun cast bullet load for a 30-06 using a Lee .311 100 grain bullet over 5.5 grains of Bullseye powder. Spits the bullet out around 1400fps and is real accurate out to about 75yds. The brass needs to be necked sized to .311 and I'm using a home made bee's wax, pariffin, STP bullet lube. The bullets are water dropped wheel weights and I'm loading them as they come out of the mould.
 The load will work on any 30 caliber rifle, been shooting it out of a 7.7 Jap Arisaka also. Probably would work on a 30-30 or a Mosin.
 Only stuck one round so far, didn't dump enough powder, getting old does stink sometimes.  Wink

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #4 - 10/17/13 at 06:40:37

Yup....

never been more angry ..... than at my own self. Thing with me is.. I have screwed up so many time that I am kinda use to it. I still get angry, but often weight the cost of replacing the parts I am about to destroy, versus the endorphins released by following through with the act in anger.

well most times...

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #5 - 10/17/13 at 07:13:44

When something silly happens I always wonder if it was because of something I did or didn't do or was it just a random cosmic fart that blew my way. I've tried to stop getting angry about sh!t, it's a waste of energy that could be used better else where. The older I get the more I resent my own stupidity. Cheesy

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Old guys need to cultivate calm & slow dow
Reply #6 - 10/17/13 at 07:48:33

Naw, I think it is all part of getting older.

Right now I am relatively "poorer" than I have ever been, so I am not buying any new toys to play with..

However, I have a few old toys that I put aside whenever the projects went south on me or I lost interest in them.

Today I am working on a bubbatized K31 rifle that I had thought would make a good short action rifle, until I took one apart and held the stripped receiver in my hand.  Wow, that steel weighs a ton ....

I dropped the project for several reasons, the odd case, the action type with no scope mounts, the heaviness of the stripped action.

Goal is now to put it together into a salable finished rough bubba gun with 100 rounds of ammo.  Stated intent is a "good functioning truck gun" that looks finished enough for that use.

K31 is inherently accurate, so I expect the finished truck gun to shoot well enough for rough hunting work.   If it does really well and I learn to like it again, I might finish off the stock to make it beautiful.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 10/17/13 at 09:20:13

I learn something new everyday !  ....  Case in point ---   bulk lube it all with a little cooking oil,

Had never thought of that !

Long time ago , in a desperate time and place far away , I bought a "Stuck Case Remover".   Its  threads the primer hole of the stuck case and lets you pull it out by grabbing the inside , kinda like streching and making skinner something.  I used it about 20 time in 20 years !  Last time was 223 brass being made into 222 , (55 grs/Wheel weights/GC.  at about 2000 is a plesant shooting round and will take anything in my neighborohood .  And the Contender Carbine / 18' barrel is light and handy) .  All my pistol stuff is carbide now .

So you put cases and cooking oil in a bowl , shake, size , and then into the wallnut shell media for a polishing ?  Huh

Smiley

I saw this title and for a moment thought you were refering to your driving habbits ... Grin Grin Grin Grin     Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 10/17/13 at 18:58:42

MM,

If you polish using a media tumbler, do that first while the primer pockets are still filled.

I bulk oil inside an old walmart plastic bag, rolling the brass around until it is lightly greasy with canola oil.   Go very lightly with the oil, excess oil builds up in the die making little oil dents in the brass.

Then I bulk deprime resize, then I wash it so it isn't oily any more, then I dry it in the oven, then I chamfer the case mouth and remove the crimp from the primer pocket.  Then I wash it again and dry the brass again so you can get rid of all of the brass shavings.   I generally wash in the sink like it was dishes, no need to make a big production out of it.

Oily brass into your tumbler ruins your media, so don't do that.

« Last Edit: 10/18/13 at 01:46:00 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #9 - 10/18/13 at 14:28:37

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/17/13 at 18:58:42:

MM,

If you polish using a media tumbler, do that first while the primer pockets are still filled.

I bulk oil inside an old walmart plastic bag, rolling the brass around until it is lightly greasy with canola oil.   Go very lightly with the oil, excess oil builds up in the die making little oil dents in the brass.

Then I bulk deprime resize, then I wash it so it isn't oily any more, then I dry it in the oven, then I chamfer the case mouth and remove the crimp from the primer pocket.  Then I wash it again and dry the brass again so you can get rid of all of the brass shavings.   I generally wash in the sink like it was dishes, no need to make a big production out of it.

Oily brass into your tumbler ruins your media, so don't do that.

too late... that's a big production compared to my dinky .38's work
Wash
dry (air)
tumble in corn cob
let it rip on dillion progressive

I have about 2500 nickel brass.. but most of it is circa 1990, and was used when I go it.  I lose 5% per 100 with a side rupture. No worries, as I don't load any of it hot, its all target stuff.

I bought new .357 to load with 180gr flat nose lead. You can feel those puppies leave the barrel!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 10/18/13 at 17:36:28

.357  I have a grocery bag full of brass that I have worn the nickle plating off of it resizing it and tumbling it time after time.

My Lee .357/38 carbide die sizing die is worn enough that you can rotate the bullets with finger pressure after seating them with a little roll crimp (or else the case walls themselves have just gotten that much thinner).

Not many cracked cases over the years -- case side cracks/mouth cracks in .357 cases mostly come from overworking the brass on resizing/roll crimping.

A Dillion square deal or full progressive is a very nice set up, I was never that well off.   Lee Pro 1000 was my pick back before Dillion even cranked up their square deal idea.  

I do own their big Dillon vibratory bowl unit as it was the biggest and best unit out there (still is, isn't it?).    

« Last Edit: 10/19/13 at 02:18:06 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #11 - 10/18/13 at 22:04:17

Hay Pine

What 357 is that ?      

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 10/19/13 at 02:16:41

It's Pine, he only uses Dan Wesson .....

I'm  a Ruger boy.

What brand is you ?

Might want to look at your shooting range facilities some, it's gonna get used a bit on this upcoming spring trip.

Grin   Grin

All of us old timers here on the list seem to like to shoot & reload some.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #13 - 10/19/13 at 09:06:37

I've started reloading for a little Ruger .380 LCP when the ammo hit $25.00/box. Ended up making a mould to cast the bullet with and drilled a tapered hole in a piece of 1/2 in plate steel for resizing, i'm just tapping the slug through the hole with a small hammer and a drift. Works great for target rounds and fun shooting and so far there hasn't been any trouble with leading.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 10/19/13 at 13:12:03

Be careful spraying Brake Cleaner on hot stuff.  Some of the Brake Cleaners used to have Chlorine in them - and when you spray it on hot stuff it makes poisonous Chlorine Gas....and has killed people.  A lot of the Brake Cleaners list "Chlorine Free" on them....and that is the reason.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:24:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › Old guys need to cultivate calm & slow down

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.