Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Changing tires were a PAIN!!! (Read 280 times)
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Changing tires were a PAIN!!!
10/18/13 at 07:17:42

Purchased some Dunlop 404's and had a buddy of mine show me how to remove old tires and install new ones. The tire that came on the bike was a 140/90/15 so I ordered the same size. Taking the tires off the wheel was a pain in the butt but we got it done. Front went on just fine without a hitch but the rear was a total different story. Once we got the rear wheel back on the bike we realized that it was too close to the left side of the fender wall. I could barely get my finger in between the tire and the fender and it was really close to rubbing the belt guard. The old tire had rubbed on the head of one of the bolts under the fender and carved a groove all the way around the edge of the tire. He did a bunch of adjusting but could not figure out a way to fix this so he ended up taking the wheel off, removing the spacer on the right, trimming it down about 5 mm or so and put the spacer back on. Then he took the part that he trimmed off and put that on the left side next to that spacer.
I looked and could not find anywhere on this site that mentioned anything like that.

The next issue we had was that after putting the wheels back on and tightening everything back down the rear tire would not turn without using some muscle. Thought the brake was tightened down too much and the belt was too tight. He messed with that for a while and then felt confident that all was well. Took her out for a spin and when he came back he said that the rear brake was squealing. It wasn't doing that before. When I rode it home I was almost embarassed at how much they squealed. Felt like people must have been staring at me. Questions and/or comments please!! I am tempted to just take it to the cycle shop down the road and get them to go over it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Changing tires were a PAIN!!!
Reply #1 - 10/18/13 at 08:10:15

The spacers were on the wrong side, cutting was, well,, not necessary, just swap sides,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 10/18/13 at 08:16:58

Your buddy owes you a set of wheel spacers...

Check to make sure the brake plate and swingarm tab set is correct... there is a mounting tab that slides into a double tab... if it isn't right, the brake plate is sitting at an angle and rubbing the shoes into the drum surface. Easy and common mistake.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
trini tuner
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Miami, FL
Reply #3 - 10/18/13 at 09:34:10

Oh boy I thought I had it bad when I first changed my rear tire. I had to order an inner tube two or three times (and wait for shipping) because I kept pinching them with the wrong tools. On the last time I also got some real tire irons, it was for sure a learning experience, the first time is usually the longest it took me about half the day to get the correct technique down and the tire off with a couple of flathead screwdrivers. The second time was a breeze literally 5 min then the third time after took about an hour lol. I kept at it knowing that people change their tires on the trail when they get a flat and my dad kept telling me "that's like a little bicycle tire". Oh yes and use gloves! Tire changing is not a skill to do bare handed, if your at it the whole day your hands will hurt the next day.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 10/18/13 at 09:42:22

WD wrote on 10/18/13 at 08:16:58:
Your buddy owes you a set of wheel spacers...

Check to make sure the brake plate and swingarm tab set is correct... there is a mounting tab that slides into a double tab... if it isn't right, the brake plate is sitting at an angle and rubbing the shoes into the drum surface. Easy and common mistake.

It could be since he's modified the spacer, that the tab is bottoming out in the slot kicking the hub out of alignment with the drum.

Regarding the spacers, there's a fat one and a skinny one.  the fat one goes on the left and fits into a seal.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 10/18/13 at 09:43:37

I came up the cockamamie idea to make a couple of those flower pots where you turn a car tire inside out and paint it...
I wrastled them gator's for a couple of hours on my back patio... sore for a week... Grin...

I can't understand why people pay to go to a gym, when there's so many stupid ways to tucker yer'self out right at home...
Like aerobic tire wrastlin'...  Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 10/18/13 at 09:46:50

Its really pretty shocking that someone would modify parts that came out instead of just swapping sides,, That guy is scary..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 10/18/13 at 10:09:42

Serowbot wrote on 10/18/13 at 09:43:37:
I came up the cockamamie idea to make a couple of those flower pots where you turn a car tire inside out and paint it...

Well that's pretty stupid, why would you paint it?  It's black isn't it?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 10/18/13 at 10:18:53

Maroon... no, not moron...
...the color... maroon....

...(Maroon is one of those words that just loses all meaning if you say it a few times)... Undecided...

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #9 - 10/18/13 at 10:58:27

aegerprimo wrote on 10/18/13 at 07:17:42:
...so he ended up taking the wheel off, removing the spacer on the right, trimming it down about 5 mm or so and put the spacer back on. Then he took the part that he trimmed off and put that on the left side next to that spacer...

I think I have deleted 7 responses to this already, how about I just go with "live and learn"...

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #10 - 10/18/13 at 14:53:11

That's some pretty bad mechanicking. Thanks for sharing. And maybe don't let your buddy at your bike again? Re: the brake squealing. Maybe the sides of the brake shoes are rubbing on the side of the drum and backing plate now you're misaligned/ missing a mm or so of spacer material (you lost the thickness of the hacksaw blade of spacer material when your mate cut it.)?

Fitting tyres: Try knocking the tyre on with a rubber mallet next time. You can do the whole fit without a tyre lever going anywhere near the tube with a bit of practice (and liquid soap lube). It works great. I only use tyre levers to fit the tyre if I'm fixing a flat on the trail, away from a workshop.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 10/18/13 at 15:45:50

First, get new spacers, they are no longer the correct length. When the axle is tightened youre squeezing the swingarm in further than it is supposed to go.

IP Logged
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Reply #12 - 10/18/13 at 16:20:41

Well S*#t!! I guess i will be taking it into the shop to fix the spacer problem. Thanks eveybody..Oh yeah, and the brakes are not squeaking anymore. It rides great. Even going over bumps, no rubbing on the tires anymore.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 10/18/13 at 16:33:05

Naaah,, YOU can do it. Ive pulled the rear wheel many times alone. Snotta big deal,,Gotta block it up soze its off the ground, but not far. How far depends on what ya have handy. If you have a pry bar, then far enough to get it under the tire. If you have a 2 foot long 2X4, then far ehough to get that under it, Just make sure ya know which spacer goes on which side,

Before you start into it, since its riding okay, wait on some of these other guys to pitch in,, You mite just ride it like that till its time to pull it off for a new tire,,

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 10/18/13 at 18:56:53

JOG,.. this is a lady you're talking to...  
Not to be sexist, but some folks might have trouble hefting a 370lb bike...
Especially without a lot of experience...

Then again,.. she may just kick my butt for even thinking such a thing...  Grin...

Hmmmm?... I really need to think of a nickname for "aegerprimo"...
I can't spell it without looking it up... Undecided...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:20:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Changing tires were a PAIN!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.