Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Cylinder cover/head & cylinder overhauling (Read 429 times)
slickiverson
YaBB Newbies

Norway
Cylinder cover/head & cylinder overhauling
10/15/13 at 14:16:56

I´m doing a complete overhauling on the cylinder cover/head & cylinder on my 1987 Suzuki Savage. I ask you Savage-gurus to help me make a list over what parts, gaskets, bolts etc. I should replace?

Should i buy a new camshaft chain? Mine is stretched, but I have the Verslavy Tensioner.

My Savage is almost at the 50000km mark.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Cylinder cover/head & cylinder overhauling
Reply #1 - 10/15/13 at 14:19:58

slickiverson wrote on 10/15/13 at 14:16:56:
I´m doing a complete overhauling on the cylinder cover/head & cylinder on my 1987 Suzuki Savage.

Should i buy a new camshaft chain? Mine is stretched, but I have the Verslavy Tensioner.

You might as well... as well as new guides...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 10/15/13 at 15:33:58

I would consider the starter torque limiter upgrade.

oversized piston, rings and bore job.

cylinder base gasket, head gasket, figure 8 o-ring, head plug,
copper washers, sealing washers, clutch gasket, alternate lengths of clutch rods,

WWW   IP Logged
slickiverson
YaBB Newbies

Norway
Reply #3 - 10/15/13 at 18:07:07

Thank you "verslagen1"! This upgrade you are talking about, is this a "upgrade cylinder kit"? If so, where do I buy it? A friend of mine mentioned a 666ccm kit for the Savage?

I need to repair my cylinder because it is cracked between the cooling fins. Some idiot that have been working on the bike in the past apparently don't know what a torque wrench is..

If the trim-kit you are talking about is cheaper then fixing the old original one, well, then I may have to buy a kit. I recon I have to juice up the carburetor as well?

IP Logged
slickiverson
YaBB Newbies

Norway
Reply #4 - 12/09/13 at 20:45:30

My cylinder cover/head & cylinder is now done at the engine repair shop. I am almost ready to reassemble the engine, but should I buy a new cam chain, tensioner for the chain & cam chain guide? Do I need to remove the clutch in order to change the cam chain? If so, is there any seals/gasket etc that I should buy? Any tips or tricks?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 12/09/13 at 21:46:21

Everything cam chain should be new, Buying a Suzuki tensioner is not the answer, Get Verlagens unit,
You mite consider having the cylinder treated,,talk to Serowbot.. I think his is treated.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
cafecarl

I love old
motorcycles

Maine
Reply #6 - 12/10/13 at 03:39:08

I changed my cam chain without removing the clutch on my '86. After they went to a 5 speed trans, I'm told the clutch needs to be removed. You should be OK on your '87.
+1 on the torque limiter upgrade, good idea, I will do mine next time I'm in there.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 12/10/13 at 07:26:16

after '86, they changed the primary ratio and the clutch has to be removed to get at the cam chain.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 12/10/13 at 07:40:08

verslagen1 wrote on 12/10/13 at 07:26:16:
after '86, they changed the primary ratio and the clutch has to be removed to get at the cam chain.

Verslagen.

So......if the earlier 4 speed clutch basket and crankshaft sprocket were used in a later 5 speed bike - Would the bike turn fewer rpm's at cruise?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 12/10/13 at 08:11:38

Dave wrote on 12/10/13 at 07:40:08:

Verslagen.

So......if the earlier 4 speed clutch basket and crankshaft sprocket were used in a later 5 speed bike - Would the bike turn fewer rpm's at cruise?

let's see, when I change the speed on the drill press, smaller driving, bigger driven it goes slower...

So no, more rpm's for the same speed.

hmmm, I wonder what the gear ratio's are in an '86   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
slickiverson
YaBB Newbies

Norway
Reply #10 - 12/10/13 at 13:00:53

I am talking about the tensioner-arm. I already have the Verslagen-tensioner. The cylinder is treated and I also bought new piston-rings.

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/09/13 at 21:46:21:
Everything cam chain should be new, Buying a Suzuki tensioner is not the answer, Get Verlagens unit,
You mite consider having the cylinder treated,,talk to Serowbot.. I think his is treated.

IP Logged
slickiverson
YaBB Newbies

Norway
Reply #11 - 12/10/13 at 13:03:50

Ok, is there anything special I have to be aware of when I disassemble the clutch? Do I find everything I need to know in the "Clymer" book?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 12/10/13 at 14:13:06

slickiverson wrote on 12/10/13 at 13:03:50:
Ok, is there anything special I have to be aware of when I disassemble the clutch? Do I find everything I need to know in the "Clymer" book?

undo the 4 bolts on the spider, remove the main nut, and replace the spider and at least 2 bolts.  This will keep the clutch pack together an avoid some problems.

Stuff some rags in all the oil return holes at the bottom of the case, so you don't loose your watch, wedding ring or anything else.

when you pull the clutch off, there's a ring behind that holds a pin.  collect that pin before you loose it.  On that ring is a gear, note how it's installed.  Reversing it can cause loss of oil pressure and disaster.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 12/10/13 at 16:19:25

IDK how many miles are on it, but Id put fresh chain guides in it if they look worn.The Verslagen is, IMO, the single most important mod to make on one of these.,Not for performance reasons, of course, but simply to protect the engine. Ditching the stock petcock for a Raptor is next, IMO.
I think the chain guide that the cam chain tensioner attaches to is more important to replace than the other one, BUT, IF the other one needs replaced, IIRC, That one means ya gotta pull the head, so, have a good look at those 2 parts.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JayDuta
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 12/11/13 at 00:54:55

Mind if I ask a question here? I just got the Verslagen mod and as I was installing the guides back in, I damaged the cam chain guide. I just received the replacement part, but know I'm wondering if I should also replace the cam chain tensioner and chain as well? Is it necessary to replace? The tensioner is double the price of the guide. I have a 96 with about 4,XXXXmi on it. I'm hoping its ok just to replace the guide and not have to drop more ends.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:29:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cylinder cover/head & cylinder overhauling

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.