Send Topic Print
Belt Wear (Read 92 times)
CoyoteJosh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Belt Wear
10/09/13 at 16:44:43

I purchased a new 2013 S40 just over two months ago. As of today I have just over 3,100 miles on it, and noticed that there are some marks on the belt that look like it is being chewed up a little. I guess I am just wondering if this is normal wear and tear, or if this could be an indicator of a bigger problem such as the belt not being aligned properly. I did a search and couldn't find anything on this topic, so I took some pictures and have attached them along with links to higher resolution images.

Thank you

-Josh

« Last Edit: 10/09/13 at 18:15:37 by CoyoteJosh »  
  IP Logged
CoyoteJosh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Belt Wear
Reply #1 - 10/09/13 at 16:45:24

I couldn't attach images until I had one regular post, so here they are.

Thanks again.

http://i.imgur.com/nBvOB5C.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nBvOB5Cl.jpg

IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca
Reply #2 - 10/09/13 at 16:58:57

Just a guess but did you feel the edges of each part of the sprockets to see if one is sharp or has a protrusion that's causing the marks?

Big Sur
  IP Logged
Cloudy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gordonton, New Zealand
Reply #3 - 10/09/13 at 17:01:56

Do you ride regularly on a gravel road? Looks like stone damage to me.

Wife- 06 Suzuki S40
Me-05 Speedmaster, Short Slashcut TORs, Thunderbike A,I,R Kit, K&N Air Filter,Snorkel Removed, Dynojet Stage 1 Kit(126 main), NGK Iridium Plugs, Bar End Mirrors, Fenda Extenda
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/09/13 at 17:26:29

Look at the pulleys & see if theres any rough spots that will continue to chew on the belt.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 10/09/13 at 18:09:57

Too tight a belt setting, on pulleys that are not polished smooth. Guys, that is NORMAL for a new Savage, the stealership invariably sets the belt too tight. Mine was set so tight that I aired out the front tire and popped both fork seals 5 minutes into owning the bike.

The pulley and belt have to wear into each other, running the belt looser will prevent the chipping and gouging, yet still allow for them to mate up. Harley belt drives are the same way, ditto Yamaha and Kawasaki (even the old KZ440 and 750B parallel twins).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
CoyoteJosh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/09/13 at 18:10:08

Cloudy wrote on 10/09/13 at 17:01:56:
Do you ride regularly on a gravel road? Looks like stone damage to me.

The road that I live on actually switches from pavement to gravel about a quarter of a mile before I get to my driveway. That would make a lot of sense if that were the cause. I will investigate the pulleys tomorrow for rough spots when it's light out.

If those look fine it's more than likely from the gravel, which would be unavoidable I suppose.

Thanks for the prompt and helpful replies.

Also, the roads I ride between work and school throughout the day have been getting resurfaced, and when I try to take alternate routes I just hit more roads that are being resurfaced (I know, in Minnesota there's two seasons; Winter and Road Construction). I did notice that about two weeks ago there was a lot of loose chunks of road being flung up at me, and a larger one hit the bottom of my bike making a loud thud. I didn't notice much if any wear on the belt before school started back up and I was hitting the construction.

IP Logged
CoyoteJosh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/09/13 at 18:16:54

WD wrote on 10/09/13 at 18:09:57:
Too tight a belt setting, on pulleys that are not polished smooth. Guys, that is NORMAL for a new Savage, the stealership invariably sets the belt too tight. Mine was set so tight that I aired out the front tire and popped both fork seals 5 minutes into owning the bike.

The pulley and belt have to wear into each other, running the belt looser will prevent the chipping and gouging, yet still allow for them to mate up. Harley belt drives are the same way, ditto Yamaha and Kawasaki (even the old KZ440 and 750B parallel twins).

I'll also perform the board recommended belt tension 90 degree test tomorrow, just to ensure that this isn't the case.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/04/24 at 01:58:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Belt Wear

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.