Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
valve tap when hot (Read 128 times)
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

valve tap when hot
07/24/07 at 13:44:33

I am getting a fairly loud tapping noise when the engine is hot.  I assume it's the valves needing adjustment but it only happens after the engine get hot.  I'm wondering if it's because the oil has thinned out.  Should I put in a high weight oil?  I am using 10w40.  I know that others have mentioned that a slight tapping noise is normal but this sounds excessive.  It still rides just fine, but I will probably do a valve adjustment soon.

I would appreciate any insight you may have for this "problem" and tips toward correct adjustment.

Thanks,
Todd

IP Logged
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Re: valve tap when hot
Reply #1 - 07/24/07 at 17:28:03

I just noticed the same thing happening on mine sunday after sitting in traffic for about 25 minutes, but I just adjusted the valves less than 1500 miles ago. Also running 10w40, I have some 20w50 I'm gonna try next oil change. Hopefully that will help.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/24/07 at 18:32:43

Yea, mine ticks a bit louder when it's hot, too. When I think about the reason for setting valves with some gap in them it starts me thinking that maybe they really should be louder whenits cold, The valvesget longer when they get hot & close the gap( or so I thought) So, anyone want to explain to me why they get louder when hot? I know I shouldnt, but I have been thinking that since even at the hottest Ive seen the thing, the valves still tick, that being so, I wonder if they cant be set a bit closer & still not hurt anything?

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 07/24/07 at 18:49:37

My take is that as it gets hotter the oil gets thinner and provides less protection.  I'm guessing that's why the valves are supposed to be adjusted when it's cold.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/24/07 at 19:20:42

The reason the valves get louder when hot is the head is aluminum and the valves are steel.  When I did a thermogrowth of the cam chain versus the cylinder the diference was ~.015".

So, the head being aluminum grows more the the valves.

I don't have the history to back it up, only Suzuki's recommendations.  Adjust as required by zuki.  And consider the valve noise a red idiot light, and it's telling you to pull over and let it cool off.

You'll have the same issue with 20w-50.  I don't know the viscosity at the temperature when your valve start to knock but at the desired running temp the oil is thicker.  So less oil maybe circulating.  If you really want to improve protection, use syn.

Just my opinion.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 07/24/07 at 20:21:05

Hmmm, I did only use conventional.  I was worried that Synth would mess with the clutch and tranny (too slippery).

Would adjusting the valves help or are you implying that i'm running lean?  I have a 155 jet and no mods.  I find it hard to believe that too lean is my problem.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/24/07 at 20:46:12

I don't use it myself, but what i've heard is better cooling and no breakdown of the oil.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/24/07 at 21:09:02

[The reason the valves get louder when hot is the head is aluminum and the valves are steel.  When I did a thermogrowth of the cam chain versus the cylinder the diference was ~.015".

So, the head being aluminum grows more the the valves.

Okay, I am trying to visualize the head, cam, rockers & valves. The cam sits in aluminum bearing surfaces cut ib the head. The rockers are mounted to,,, what? ( my minds eye goes blind right there) Then, the rockers slap down on the valve end when the cam lobe comes up & hits the rocker.

Now, aluminum expands more than steel, ( I happen to know that because you said so, else I would be guessing) Okay, Now, IF the part I cant visualize just happens to be on top of the hottest part of the engine, & I think it is, & IF that part gets taller, then it would increase the gap on each end of the rockers! Making it tick harder. Well,, since it does that about every time I ride, I guess if its hurting it, it will just have to die an early death, cuz I am not gonna stop riding when I hear that extra Tick, I will let you guys know if I lose an angine over it.

Ver, thanks man, those answers that include scientific fact really help me understand things,. Maybe I will & maybe I wont actually use what I learn, but that doesnt mean I dont appreciate the info,

Of course, If I have got this figured out wrong, I hope you can explain it so i can "get it", I may be a hundred miles off here.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 07/24/07 at 21:40:17

You got it, the rocker shafts are on top of the head.

And Aluminum grows faster than steel.  Not much air flow or fins up there either.   Grin

I took off the chrome up there.  I hope for a little more cooling.

WWW   IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 07/24/07 at 22:45:42

Wow, with the ticking, timing chain tensioner, and oil leaks, I can't believe they are still using this engine!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/24/07 at 22:58:07

Internal combustion engines are generally a pretty crude piece  of work. Jus think about what they really do for a minute. I am amazed that they even run for more than a few 100 miles. You have a metal slug dragging hardened rings sideways up & down a sleeve, hoping nothing sticks to anything moving at a different speed. There are explosions that drive the rings out tighter against the sleeve. There is a very this wall of oil between parts that are being crushed together by compression  boosted by the explosion. Now, go back in time to metallurgy that just wasnt all that great & lubricants that literally "couldnt stand the heat" & it gets easy to see hopw a car would be shot at 100,000 miles. This engine at least has a roller bearing on the big end. Thats gotta help a lot. None of this explores the tension on things at the top of the exhaust stroke.
Yep, Internal combustion engines are crude, minimally effective & so VERY attractive!

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #11 - 07/25/07 at 05:39:23

it's certainly not the viscosity of the oil that's causing the noise.

We're using multi-grade oils in our bikes.  That means that the same oil will have different viscosity properties at different temperatures.  

In the case of the 10w40 that Suzuki calls for in the Savage/S-40:  At start up, the engine oil has a viscosity index of 10, meaning that it will flow very easily at temperatures above 32*.  At a around 212*, the base oil in the blend begins to thin out and loses it's lubricity.  Thats where the blended oil viscosity takes over.  At temps above 212*, the oil with a viscosity index of 40 is used to protect the moving parts and provide continued lubricity.   The 40w oil is good for temps approaching 400*.  Higher viscosity oils will protect to higher temps (such as in diesel engines where head temps can reach 600*)

Synthetic based oils can continue to provide lubricity at much higher temperatures than organic based oils.  But at normal operating temperatures, they provide little better protection than organic based oils.  

What makes the difference in the performance of the blended multi-grade oil is not only the quality of the base oil , but also the additive package of modifiers and detergents as well as the oil's ability to dissipate heat.

In a large displacement, single cylinder application such as the Savage/S-40, a synthetic base or synthetic blend oil will likely provide more upper cylinder protection and better cooling than conventional organic based oils.

My own experience with the different oils supports this opinion.  On my Savage, I do develop the valve tap after prolonged periods of idling (stuck in traffic).  But that noise diminishes when I get back up to speed and the passing air begins to cool the cylinder.    When using conventional oils, the valve tap happens sooner and seems louder than it does with the syntetic base oil that I selected.

On a related note, it is important to select motorcycle-formulated oils only and not use automotive formula oils.  Automotive oils have additional friction modifiers that can cause the wet-cluuch to slip, glaze and eventually fail.

Suzuki offers a synthetic blend as well as a full syntetic oil for it's air-cooled engines.  Mobil 1 also makes a very good full synthetic motorcycle formula oil as well.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/25/07 at 09:13:55

A notable exception to the automotive oil & friction modifiers is Rotella -T 15-40. I am running that. It costs less than $9.00 a gallon at Wally Mart. May be penny wise & $ foolish. only time will tell.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 07/25/07 at 11:01:25

Rotella-T's come up before as one recommended by many folks but there was also the discussion of it having been designed for diesel engines.  Something about it suspending a lot more soot that one designed for gasoline engines.  I don't know how bad this migh or might not be but I just seemed to remember it from one of the MANY preexisting oil topics on this site.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 07/25/07 at 11:13:09

if i remember right, it has ash witch will leave deposits in the combustion chamber.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/02/24 at 00:18:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › valve tap when hot

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.