Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Choke (Read 102 times)
njrmahoney

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Choke
10/07/13 at 14:27:46

I have had my savage for about 1 yr 2003 with 5500 miles. don't ride that much. I have always felt that the bike performs better with the choke on. I switched out the petcock thinking that this would fix it. but it hasn't. Why would the bike run better, more power off the line and on acceleration in every gear? I suppose it could need a good carb cleaning.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Choke
Reply #1 - 10/07/13 at 16:04:02

The enrichment valve only works at low throttle settings.

If your bike runs better with it on.....you have a carb problem and not enough fuel flow at low throttle settings.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
njrmahoney

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/07/13 at 17:44:48

That's interesting. On a properly adjusted and clean carb, should having the choke pulled out on a warm bike cause poor running?

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 10/07/13 at 19:39:41

A choke uses a flap to reduce the amount of air supplied while still using the fixed amount of fuel, thereby richening the mixture for cold operation.  Our bike has an enricher which gains a similar outcome but in a different manor, it adds fuel to a fixed amount of air.  I would venture to say that if your bike is running optimally with the enricher being used that your carb is very lean on the low throttle as Dave pointed out.

What mods have you done to her?   Huh

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 10/07/13 at 22:12:09

Well,... mine gets boggy,.. and makes nasal vocalizations... when I run with choke after warm-up...

You may be a bit lean... you shouldn't run better with "choke/enrichment" when fully warmed up...

Seeing as you say,.. you don't ride much... it may be something clogged up. rather than a jetting problem...
Never try to fix a problem with jetting changes...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
njrmahoney

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/08/13 at 04:34:51

[quote author=764D47516C4D5147220 link=1381181266/0#3 date=1381199981]A choke uses a flap to reduce the amount of air supplied while still using the fixed amount of fuel, thereby richening the mixture for cold operation.  Our bike has an enricher which gains a similar outcome but in a different manor, it adds fuel to a fixed amount of air.  I would venture to say that if your bike is running optimally with the enricher being used that your carb is very lean on the low throttle as Dave pointed out.

No mods, but not the original owner. So this bike does not use the normal style choke. The choke pull is actually operating the enricher, which also operates on its own on deceleration.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:37:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Choke

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.