Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any of you ever hear a squeak from the front tire? (Read 107 times)
MrPazloe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern NJ
Any of you ever hear a squeak from the front tire?
10/03/13 at 06:59:19

Hey gang, greetings to all!

Any of you ever hear a squeak coming from the front tire?? Mine squeaks when I roll slowly, like at a light. It's a squeaky sound like our brakes make. Could it be the steering nut under the triple tree?? Or the front axle?? It doesn't squeak steadily when the tire spins, only seems to be one spot that squeaks when the tire makes a revolution.

I put the bike on the lift and spun the tire- No noise. Only squeaks when I'm sitting on the bike (I weigh 155lbs soaking wet). Any thoughts?? Bike has 2000+ miles so I doubt it's a bad bearing..

2006 Ryca Suzuki Savage (2300 miles)
Army green with black spoke wheels!
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Any of you ever hear a squeak from the front t
Reply #1 - 10/03/13 at 07:51:02

Dry axle shaft. Pull it, grease it, bet the sound goes away... It's pretty normal, my bike makes all kinds of odd squeaks, thunks, rattles, always has and I bought it brand new in 98.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/03/13 at 07:59:12

It might also be the brake pads on the rotor.  My front brake would squeek with the original equipment pads.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MrPazloe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern NJ
Reply #3 - 10/03/13 at 10:56:43

Thanks for the input WD, Dave, I just got home from work and will be spraying some brake quiet on there. Easy stuff first right. If squeak persists I will do what WD recommends and grease the axle. I'll make sure to report back in a day or so.

There is a certain charm to these big singles, I can't quite put it into words, all I know is that I will take these simply perfect thumpers over fancy Harleys every time Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 10/03/13 at 11:29:32

I know for me and my neighbors......the sound of my bike doesn't seem to intimidate anyone and may well disquise my speed.  The bike just quietly motors along and doesn't make much of a fuss about it.  When I am out riding and see someone in their yard working or playing ball with the kids.....I give a friendly wave and they wave back.  I don't feel the same way when I hear a snarly sportbike approaching.....even though the rider may be a really nice guy.  Somehow that sound high revving snarly exhaust tone just puts me on edge....especially when there is a group of them all blipping the throttle.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Rush-rks

Lurking &
Learning

Beckley WV
Reply #5 - 10/03/13 at 11:42:00

They do rattle, sqeak, buzz vibrate.  When you think you got them all quiet another starts Grin If its nothing serious just chalk it up to its charm.  I'm betting its your rotor/brake pads.  Mine doesnt squeak when you spin the front wheel off the ground but do get a noise from the brakes..

2006 Suzuki S40 Boulevard bone stock other than idle-mix adjustment out 3/4 turn from factory setting
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 10/03/13 at 14:15:12

Pry the brake padaway from the rotor/ slide the caliper to create a gap /both sides of the rotor, roll it,, see if its brakes or axle.
If you could jack the tire up it would be good.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MrPazloe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern NJ
Reply #7 - 10/03/13 at 14:58:00

Okay, so, I jacked up the bike and backed the brake pads off some so there would be plenty of space between rotor and pad. While I was there, I sprayed brake quiet on the pads and rotor. Big Mistake! Now the brakes squeak BIG TIME. Part of the reason I went with these EBC pads is because they barely make a peep.

So, the previous squeaking was coming from a dry axle?? WD may be dead on. I'm gonna go pick up some grease, but my question is this.. If the tire doesn't spin directly on the axle, why would I need to grease the axle??? Am I to grease the ends of the axle, to benefit the bearings??

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 10/03/13 at 16:32:25

Nope grease the whole thing. Sometimes even new bearings have a bit of a tight spot and the axle will try to turn in the race instead of just supporting it. Usually goes away after the bearing gets warm and the grease disburses. BUT, sometimes the bearing was just made or installed wrong, greasing the axle lets the race spin on the shaft instead of dragging on the shaft.

It is an old old old Harley riders trick when nothing else seems to work. And I'll take a basketcase Knuckle, Pan, UL/VL or JD over a running Savage, no problems no second thoughts.  Trying to get my 1957 HD sent from western WA, but it needs roughly $28K in parts and labor to be perfect again... my Savage just needs the wiring finished.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
MrPazloe
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern NJ
Reply #9 - 10/08/13 at 10:39:08

PROBLEM SOLVED! Thanks WD, that old school Harley trick worked nicely. I greased the entire axle and squeak disappeared.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/06/24 at 17:46:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Any of you ever hear a squeak from the front tire?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.