Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Installing HD highway bars (Read 75 times)
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
Installing HD highway bars
10/04/13 at 19:40:21

I came across an earlier thread that mentioned this. I have the bars and they will mount fine at the top with a u-bolt and looks like it could be a direct fit to the brake side lower engine bolt. But, the shifter side has a lot of "stuff" like the kickstand, etc. that complicates things (to me) Any info/ photos, etc. on how to do this would help. Also the thread mentions replacing the acorn nuts on the engine bolts with self-locking nuts. Why and wouldn't lock washers and nuts be ok? What about torque specs?

Rick in Indiana

Any S40 owners in the Fort Wayne area?

2012 S40 w/12,000 miles: drag bars with bar end weights, raised seat, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Installing HD highway bars
Reply #1 - 10/04/13 at 19:56:41

You need to run a couple extensions off the front lower engine mount bolt. At least 1/8 inch thick plate stock, which leaves no room for lock washers and such. Either that or modify the engine mounting points of the frame and heat the crash bar to run inside the down tubes. Been working on the Knuckle/Pan straight leg frame crash bar for mine since it is no longer a toy. I'd forgotten how user unfriendly the Savage chassis actually is.

And those bolts are M10x1.25 thread. Finding good lock nuts for them is a chore. Spent over an hour hunting a pair yesterday.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
rijopiatt

Columbia City, Indiana
Re: Installing HD highway bars
Reply #2 - 10/06/13 at 07:55:47

Ok- thanks for the response.

2012 S40 w/12,000 miles: drag bars with bar end weights, raised seat, Raptor petcock.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:41:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Installing HD highway bars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.