Send Topic Print
Ordered Dyna slip on's (Read 155 times)
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Ordered Dyna slip on's
10/04/13 at 12:05:52

There are tons of postings here regarding which jets to use when doing the dyna conversion. Can someone tell me in simple terms what I need to get. I have a 97' savage totally stock except possibly the air filter. I took it out and it looked real crappy so I ordered a new one from the shop down the street. They looked it up in their book and ordered me HiFloFiltro Air Filter - HFA3608. After installing it though it runs like total poo!!! Took it out and put old one in and runs fine! WTH? Anyway...I have the stock 145 main and 52.5 pilot. I know i need the washers for the needle and new main and pilot jet but what size. I live in Atlanta which is 1050 ft above sea level.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Ordered Dyna slip on's
Reply #1 - 10/04/13 at 16:39:56

Just a guess, but since it runs like poo now,.. let's assume the clean filter is making you lean... the Dyna muff will lean you a bit more...
So,.. I'd start with a #152.5 main,.. and #55 pilot... (I don't think you'll need any more than that)... (you might do okay with just a #150/52.5 combo)...
Try one of those,.. and then see if it feels hichy at a slow steady cruise,.. if it does, do the spacer mod...
JMHO...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #2 - 10/04/13 at 20:55:39

I did the washer thing on the top of the air needle diaphragm and then added a dyna. Didn't need to add a jet kit, it runs great, didn't even need to adjust anything, sounds great and the wife noticed it had a little more spunk!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
doctorpc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/05/13 at 05:46:10

Its odd you mention the air filter i am new at this and i have an o6 S40 with about 43oo miles on it  i needed to change the battery and figured while i had ths seat off i would do the air filter i used the same one you mentioned as an exact replacement from Bike Bandit  and after changing it i had to raise the idle a bit or the bike would stall on start up

IP Logged
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Reply #4 - 10/05/13 at 15:33:21

In true "me" fashion", I went ahead and took off the stock exhaust, header and all. I had to take the whole thing off just to get those shotty phillips head screws off that hold on the heat shield. Anyways, it looks like the screws (2) that hold on the stock muffler are part of the muffler itself and cannot be removed. SO...do I just find another bolt that will fit the new dyna muffler and use that along with the washer that was there to secure it to the muffler mount on the frame? And.....is it cool that the dyna doesn't butt all the way up to the lip on the header pipe? There is only about a half-inch gap between the dyna and the lip on the header. Don't want to muck anything up.
Lastly, for now at least, the muffler that I got off ebay looks like it has no baffles. The seller insisted that it does. Tried to post a pic but it would not work. Can someone post a pic of what it should look like? Mine looks like a hollow pipe that is lined with tiny holes. Thought it would be more "significant" Wink

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 10/05/13 at 15:57:31

That's a bummer... A stock Harley muff should be blocked in the center with a solid round plate.. You can't see any light through it...
Sounds like your baffle has been knocked out...
I'd demand the money back...
That's going to be way too loud (obnoxious loud), and run like crap...

If you can't get a refund... go to the hardware/auto store and get a freeze plug that just fits and bash it down to the center of the pipe...using a broom handle or something...

Someone here may be able to chime in with the correct size plug...
Anybody?...

PS.. not sliding all the way up, is okay, as long as it seals good with the clamp...
You want a "carriage bolt" for the rail mount... (it has no screwdriver slot.. just a square under the head that will lock into the slot)...

Best luck... (modding is a hassle, but worth it in the end)... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Reply #6 - 10/05/13 at 16:24:48

yeah I thought it seemed a little bit weird that I could see light all the way through the end of the muffler. I sent the guy an email and he said that the battle was there and that what I was seeing the little tiny holes was the baffle. I will get my money back   don't worry about that. Thank you so much for your help and i am attaching a pic so you can tell me what you think.

C360_2013-10-05-15-22-33-442.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 10/05/13 at 17:23:59

That's not a muffler.....That looks more like a Kazoo!

That is definitely not a stock DYNA muffler that I have ever seen.  It should have a pipe that goes back about half way before it has a solid piece of metal in the center.  Then on each side of that solid center piece there will be about a dozen small holes...the exhaust has to go out the holes to go around the center block off and into the outer jacket, then come back in through the holes and into the center pipe on the backside of the center block off....then out the back.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:38:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ordered Dyna slip on's

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.