Send Topic Print
Motorcycle Lift (Read 639 times)
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Motorcycle Lift
10/02/13 at 21:05:06

I have a coupon for this Motorcycle Lift. Price $300. Is it worth?
http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-motorcycle-lift-68892-8495.html

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Motorcycle Lift
Reply #1 - 10/02/13 at 21:26:04

If ya need a lift, seems to be well enough received..

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php/topic,65634.0.html

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #2 - 10/02/13 at 22:04:46

Is there any particular reason you want a lift rather than a jack?  This is 1/3 the price your looking at, and it's rated at 1500lbs.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326249_200326249

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 10/02/13 at 22:12:24

You can make one of these in 20 minutes for 0 to $20 dollars... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/02/13 at 22:35:21

Hey, Row,, whats that block under the swingarm, just above the belt?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #5 - 10/02/13 at 23:54:46

Looks like part of the stock belt guard, just painted black and maybe a little trimmed off the bottom.

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 10/03/13 at 03:15:10

I made a version of this wooden bench for almost nothing in parts.  I had some scrap plywood and some used eyebolts to use for the tie down points.  I adjusted the size a little bit to work with the plywood size I had, and I didn't want those side pieces sticking out so far on the front end as I new I would fall over them all the time.  I used the wheel chock from my trailer.  When you are not using it the plywood pieces just pull apart and stack in a small pile against the wall.  The only bad part is that for the Savage....it takes 2 people and a ramp to get in on and off the bench.

http://www.bbcracing.com/old/box/

IMG_0969.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Reply #7 - 10/03/13 at 07:33:49

HondaLavis wrote on 10/02/13 at 22:04:46:
Is there any particular reason you want a lift rather than a jack?  This is 1/3 the price your looking at, and it's rated at 1500lbs.

Somehow it doesn't look like it has enough stability to me Sad

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 10/03/13 at 07:55:53

HondaLavis wrote on 10/02/13 at 22:04:46:

I have both a jack....and the wooden bench that I made.  The jack works well for most things and it is stable.  For wheel changes, brake pads, shocks, etc. it works fine.  When I was in a 4 month major renovation project and cutting and welding and moving and changing and wiring and painting and moving and adapting.....the bench brought the bike up at a better height for visibility and access.  Sometimes I even used the jack on top of the bench when changing the forks or wheels.

For general maintenance the jack works fine....for long term projects the bench is much better.  With the bench however.....you still need some form of jack to get the wheels up off the ground on occassion......350 pound motorycles are hard to lift.....even one end at a time.

So....is that $ 300 coupon you have something that is available online....is their a coupon code that we can use and you can share?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Reply #9 - 10/03/13 at 08:06:56

Dave wrote on 10/03/13 at 07:55:53:
I have both a jack....and the wooden bench that I made.  The jack works well for most things and it is stable.  For wheel changes, brake pads, shocks, etc. it works fine.  When I was in a 4 month major renovation project and cutting and welding and moving and changing and wiring and painting and moving and adapting.....the bench brought the bike up at a better height for visibility and access.  Sometimes I even used the jack on top of the bench when changing the forks or wheels.

For general maintenance the jack works fine....for long term projects the bench is much better.  With the bench however.....you still need some form of jack to get the wheels up off the ground on occassion......350 pound motorycles are hard to lift.....even one end at a time.

I see the advantage of having a jack. I just watched a video clip on YouTube comparing three jacks...

I need "something" to make my bike higher I don't need to knee down or sit on garage floor while working - it's a little bit harder in my age and condition Smiley It's not a project. Just regular maintenance. I have to change air filter and fuel valve the following weekend. It would be much easier if I stand next to the bike. Smiley

Dave wrote on 10/03/13 at 07:55:53:
So....is that $ 300 coupon you have something that is available online....is their a coupon code that we can use and you can share?

I got it in the flyer at home. I can scan it and post it here if it helps?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 10/03/13 at 08:10:53

Afan wrote on 10/03/13 at 07:33:49:
Somehow it doesn't look like it has enough stability to me Sad

One fellow made a board that adapts the savage to it as the exhaust hangs down preventing access to both sides of the frame.

Just remember, that thing don't fold up and store away into a tiny little box.

WWW   IP Logged
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Reply #11 - 10/03/13 at 08:25:01

verslagen1 wrote on 10/03/13 at 08:10:53:
One fellow made a board that adapts the savage to it as the exhaust hangs down preventing access to both sides of the frame.

Just remember, that thing don't fold up and store away into a tiny little box.

Agree. I was wrong...
Thanks

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 10/03/13 at 11:16:00

Here is one from advanced auto
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_1500-lbs-m...

Sears has several, I bought the red one and use a board on the left side under the frame to level the bike, works fine for the savage. Although it wouldn't fit under my Harley (lowered 1") unless I drove up on a 2x4.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-motorcycle-atv-jack/p-00950190000P?prdNo=2&blo...

If you are worried about the stability of any type of motorcycle/atv jack, just put some pressure nuts into your cement floor and bolt it down, then strap your bike to the stand.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Afan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Des Moines, IA
Reply #13 - 10/03/13 at 11:17:59

Motorcycle Lift Comparison
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avJ2a0oOvCU

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #14 - 10/03/13 at 11:53:51

That one from advance auto looks practically identical to the one from northen tool.  Both have loops on opposite sides that you can use to strap the bike to the jack. Then you just have to figure out how to keep the jack steady.

I need to design a bike jack that uses a concept I've seen in aircraft jacks.  The ones I use at work have spring loaded wheels, so when there is not any weight on the jack you can move it around, but when you use it to lift something, the springs are compressed and three other flat-footed support legs touch the ground. This gives you more stability when the vehicle is in the air.  Yeah, do that and make it wider...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:27:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Motorcycle Lift

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.