Motorcycle Lift (Read 639 times)
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Re: Motorcycle Lift
Reply #15 - 10/03/13 at 14:58:02

Almost all the jacks they have screw down feet to keep the jack from moving while working on the bike.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #16 - 10/03/13 at 16:35:36

I have a jack & that H-F lift. They both have their uses. I modified the lift with one of the chocks H-F sells & I ride up the ramp into my shed & right on the lift where it locks in place & is parked upright. Makes it simple to check the oil before backing it down the ramp & out the door.
If I'm actually going to do any work I add my tie-downs that are already adjusted & in place, ready to use.
My only real problem is I have to remove the w/s to raise it all the way in my shed.
For me it's worth $300 but I work on other peoples bike too.

« Last Edit: 10/04/13 at 04:33:35 by Dave »  

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 10/04/13 at 06:37:43

I did some searching for a discount at HF.

I found this 25% off coupon that would help.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20off-coupon912-aff-17549.html?utm_source=cj&utm...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #18 - 10/04/13 at 07:02:23

Dave wrote on 10/04/13 at 06:37:43:

http://www.harborfreight.com/20off-coupon912-aff-17549.html?utm_source=cj&utm...

Cannot be used for floor jacks.  However, sometimes the person at the register will let them slide.

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 10/04/13 at 07:43:50

Badass94Cad wrote on 10/04/13 at 07:02:23:
Dave wrote on 10/04/13 at 06:37:43:

Cannot be used for floor jacks.  However, sometimes the person at the register will let them slide.

I was thinking about this being used for a lift.....but glad you pointed out about the jack exclusion.  The price they have listed fof the lift is normally priced $ 699.99 but they have a sale price of $ 429 shown.  I did see that people are selling the coupons they cut from their sale fliers on eBay!

IP Logged
diamond jim
Serious Thumper

North Alabama
Reply #20 - 10/04/13 at 08:21:30

HondaLavis wrote on 10/03/13 at 11:53:51:
That one from advance auto looks practically identical to the one from northen tool.  Both have loops on opposite sides that you can use to strap the bike to the jack. Then you just have to figure out how to keep the jack steady.

I've read that a single company makes the same jack for maybe a dozen different stores.  So the HF, Northern Tool, Autozone, etc, jacks are all the same just painted different colors.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 10/04/13 at 09:13:26

a m/c lift may not be termed a "floor jack"

ask before hand, play stupid, just ask if you can use it for the purchase.

You can always bail out of the purchase if they change their mind at the cash register.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 10/04/13 at 10:06:50

Naah,, tell them you want it,, let them drag one up to the front from out of the back,, THEN drop the coupon on them,, hopefully there will be a good line behind you,,if the cashier doesnt wanna letya slide, request a manager..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #23 - 10/05/13 at 09:00:55

Got this in the email box today

A Harbor Freight lift that looks like a J&S

http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-Capacity-ATVMotorcycle-Lift-60536.html?c...

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 10/05/13 at 09:32:30

I've been told that the craptman jacks are made in china and are not repairable.

Hense, look over the jack and see if the hydraulic bottle jack can be swapped.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 10/05/13 at 09:42:43

Why is Made in China not repairable? I have a 50 jack from HF.. It died, I fixed it,,it was no worse than fixing the Craftsman jack Ive had for 27 years. AS long as the jack isnt welded into the frame & you can access it, then the o-rings otta be accessible.
What IS tough these days is finding anyone who works on jacks.. Labor MUST cost enough to live on,, & the cost of living is too high to make repairing a cheap jack cost effective..
Look to see if you can buy a replacement jack, just in case you cant fix yours one day,,& with HF stuff, one day can be the day after the warranty is gone,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #26 - 10/05/13 at 16:36:42

I built one from left over lumber and a piece of pipe like Serows, it works great, it's easy to use and is completely stable.   Cheesy

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 10/06/13 at 06:54:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/05/13 at 09:42:43:
Why is Made in China not repairable?

A few years ago I rebuilt a Craftsman floor jack, I got the repair kit from Sears.  A friend of mine recently got a Craftsman 2 Ton aluminum jack that was made in China, and when the seal leaked he found out he could not get parts.  A web search revealed that this is a common problem on these jacks and the owners really get screwed.  The warranty is for a year and one fellow used his 5 times in that period...and the seal started leaking and the jack was then junk as it cannot be repaired.  I am not sure if this is some new liability/lawyer related thing, or if they just don't want to sell you parts anymore.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 10/06/13 at 09:19:12

O-Rings is O rings..I got mine from a hydraulic shop. Same place I got the rebuild kits for the hydraulic cylinders on the back hoe..
HF doesnt sell parts,, except the plastic filters that go in the gravity paint guns. Anything else ya buy, if ya need "parts" yer outta luck,,
Sears? Yea,, my dual action sander I paid about $80.00 for 30+ years ago? YOu can buy all the metal parts, but you cant buy the rubber one that makes the valve.. Took me almost 3 hours to build one out of a piece of tire,.,
I find solutions to problems when lots of people stop, believing theyve exhausted all possibilities,, I used to run a warehouse. People would come in asking for things they knew I didnt sell,, One guy came in with some off the wall Need,, He told me that someone had told him that if you ever need anything, Go to that place & ask him,, cuz if he doesnt have it, he will know where to find it,I rarely had anyone ask me for something that I couldnt help them,

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #29 - 10/07/13 at 15:22:52

Yeah its a shame, when K-Mart bought out sears, the craftsman brand changed over to china made stuff. My adopted dad used to only buy craftsman because it was made in the USA, I got into the habit and recently bought their new "bolt-on" drill that has interchangeable heads for different tools, Black and Decker came out with them like 2 months later and look exactly the same.

To me its not just a quality question.... if we could keep the factories here it would be better for our economy...but that's a discussion for the other forum.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:18:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Motorcycle Lift

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.