Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
frustrated with my savage (Read 594 times)
Wickid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

frustrated with my savage
09/28/13 at 13:43:54

I am new here and have found a lot of great advise on my savage LS650, however I am having problems with my bike.

This is what is happening: just rescently i was ridding my bike and she just lost power. dead stop like i ran out of gas. Had a full tank. I started her up and ran fine all the way home.  several weeks later she did it again. only this time it was everytime i stopped at a light or stop sign. I thought it was a vac line problem. so i installed a new vac line. ran fine. the she did it again. I changed the spark plug three times. last time with a hotter plug. ran for awhile and had alot of power. well two weeks ago I took her out and headed down the road. she started sputtering. got to my destination and she would  not start. she wanted to turn over but would not start.  I know it has to do with not getting enough spark. My question is? Could that be a coil issue.

Also is it normal for a savage to rev higher as it warms up. mine does. help
thank you
Wickid

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: frustrated with my savage
Reply #1 - 09/28/13 at 13:59:48

Wickid wrote on 09/28/13 at 13:43:54:
I am new here and have found a lot of great advise on my savage LS650, however I am having problems with my bike.

This is what is happening: just rescently i was ridding my bike and she just lost power. dead stop like i ran out of gas. Had a full tank. I started her up and ran fine all the way home.  several weeks later she did it again. only this time it was everytime i stopped at a light or stop sign. I thought it was a vac line problem. so i installed a new vac line. ran fine. the she did it again. I changed the spark plug three times. last time with a hotter plug. ran for awhile and had alot of power. well two weeks ago I took her out and headed down the road. she started sputtering. got to my destination and she would  not start. she wanted to turn over but would not start.  I know it has to do with not getting enough spark. My question is? Could that be a coil issue.

Also is it normal for a savage to rev higher as it warms up. mine does. help
thank you
Wickid

You have a fuel delivery problem,not a spark issue. Search the forums here for "petcock" and "raptor" You'll find tons of info on the issue. This is a very well known and discussed issue!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/28/13 at 14:02:45

Yep,, increased rpm as it warms is normal enhough. I set my idle up when I fire up & as it warms up I adjust down. Usually takes 15 or 20minutes forme to be satisfied. Never let it run belopw 1,000 rom, Higher wont ruin it, lower will
Aslow loss of power & dying is fuel,  a sudden shut off is electrical,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
njrmahoney

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/28/13 at 14:49:51

Try running the bike with the petcock in the Prime position. If it runs fine, time for a new petcock. Or switch it out. I am in the middle of switching to the Raptor petcock, I made the mistake of not using genuine Yamaha Raptor petcock, and got one from some aftermarket place, the fuel nipple is the wrong size. Now I have to wait for the correct one in the mail. The weekend is wasted.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 09/28/13 at 14:59:37

If you are still using the stock Suzuki vac petcock, then you are dealing with the same issues the rest of us had to go through.

Get rid of it and replace it with a real Raptor 660 mechanical petcock.

Go to Tech Section and hit the Index to find your information.

Do this BEFORE the gasoline actually starts dribbling down the vac line and mebbe sets you up for your very own, very very personal weinie roast.

Like the man says,  use good judgement and DO NOT PROCRASTINATE.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/28/13 at 16:09:21

Year model &miles helps folks have a clue on lots of things, but these petcocks have proven themse;ves to be a [problem for too high a %age to not just ditch it. Under $30.00 & you can have The Answer in your hand,
The symptoms of a petcock going bad are manifold,, eliminate the confusion, ditch it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 09/28/13 at 20:09:18

Go to txsizzlers post, third down under important topics in the tech section, like Suzuki Savage.com it's very useful.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Wickid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/19/13 at 07:43:46

ok my savage is a 2001 LS650 with 12,583 miles on it, if that helps. let me see if i can explain better as well.  the last time i rode her she started to sputter.  never happend before. even with the problems. when i started her up ok tried to start her up i flooded her out.  i let her sit for a while and tried again. still nothing. she wanted to kick over but seemed like she was not getting enough spark. could this be a coil problem as well. as the pet thingy goes yes i will replace that as well. I have seen on here that alot of you have had problems with them.  I put her on prime and she does ok. im wondering if she is flooding out while I have her running. maybe she is getting to much gas. if I turn the petcock to on she runs for awhile and will die if i take my hand off the throttle. but if i  keep her on prime she runs better. I even turn the petcock off when i park her.
what is a raptor? and what is the difference between a raptor and a petcock?.  and could my coil be going bad as well?  I want to get her running so i can winterize her and get some last runs with her.

I thank all of you for your help....wickid

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 10/19/13 at 09:07:30

A Raptor is a 4 wheeled Yamaha utility/sport machine. A Raptor petcock is an old fashioned mechanical on-off-reserve petcock instead of the craptastic vacuum operated on-reserve-prime bike strander petcock the factory installed on your bike.

The vacuum unit on mine never failed. 1998 bike, petcock still going strong in 2005 when my stepson crashed and holed the fuel tank. The replacement tank uses a mechanical petcock.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 10/19/13 at 09:09:50

It's probably not your coil....
Look at the 4 Simple Answers thread at the top of the RSD page... read the info in answer 1...
Click the link there... and do the complete petcock test..

You want to rule out the pet problem, before spending any more cash, or boogering anything else up...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Wickid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/19/13 at 09:38:48

Thanks,
I did watch the video on replacing the petcock to a raptor one. i can do that. ok my next question is where is the best sites to go to for motorcycle parts. I live in Janesville wisconsin and well not much around here. I will however check at Foxy's for parts. any help would be very appreciated.. and yes I am learning alot from here and how I can work on my own bike. so thank you

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 10/19/13 at 10:05:19

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Wickid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/19/13 at 10:22:54

ok i went to bike bandit and well could not find a raptor petcock. yes i did write down the name and part number from watching the video.  however aahhh. so i will try the other sites you posted. thank you for your help.  yes i am alittle dumb still on this side. but i am getting better with all of your help..

IP Logged
Wickid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/19/13 at 11:10:45

ok i was reading more about the raptor petcock from yamaha,  well from what i read the petcock gives you about a pint of gas in your reserve. ouch.. so are there any other petcocks that might be better or similar that i can use

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 10/19/13 at 11:45:52

VS800 Intruder has the same bolt spread and a larger reserve. However, it is close to $100 for a brand new original equipment Intruder petcock... and since Suzuki finally got smart and killed off that model line...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 23:37:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › frustrated with my savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.