Rislone oil additive (Read 85 times)
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Rislone oil additive
09/25/13 at 11:52:05

I was browsing through my local O-Reilly's lately to pick up some Sta-bil, and I found this:

It SAYS it contains ZDDP and that it's designed to prevent camshaft wear.  It also has instructions on how much to add depending on the application and year of manufacture for your machine.  For motorcycles, racing, and a few others it specifies 2 oz for every quart of oil.  If I remember correctly, that 11 oz. bottle was priced around $6.

I haven't looked for an MSDS or a contents sheet, and I haven't contacted the manufacturer to get actual figures.  I'm posting this here in hopes that someone else might do that.  It sounded good to me, but looks can always be deceiving.  Up until now I was just supplementing with about 5 oz of STP oil treatment that says it has "high ZDDP levels."  It was cheap, and I figured throwing it on top of my Rotella wouldn't hurt anything.

**NOTE**  I didn't want to post this over in the recommended boosters blah blah blah thread until one of the oldfellers old timers decided if it was actually sufficient.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Rislone oil additive
Reply #1 - 09/25/13 at 12:12:48

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #2 - 09/25/13 at 12:30:16

darn, and it's in their FAQ on the webpage, too.  This is what I get.   Roll Eyes

WHY wouldn't you advertise that on the bottle?  I've never heard of a bike other than a Ducati having a dry clutch...  **grumble**

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/25/13 at 13:16:38

Wow....You have to do some careful research to learn that it should not be used in a wet clutch.  We also found this out about the Lucas ZDDP product as well....but only after contacting Lucas and asking them as it is not printed on the bottle either.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #4 - 09/25/13 at 13:23:26

I think I'll contact STP about the one I'm using.  It says it's safe for use in a manual transmission, but it says nothing at all about clutches...

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 09/25/13 at 20:05:14

You can use it in normal bikes with a separate primary drive system, ie, older American, modern Big Twin Harley Davidson, older British, Ducati.

Unit construction with an internal yet sealed off primary (some older British bikes, some Harley models) it is alright.

Unit construction where the engine, primary, transmission and clutch share the same oil? Forget it, waste of money. And don't get fooled by SOHC CB750s, they have a semi-dry sump, but have a wet clutch.

I've had too f'n many bikes over the years...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #6 - 09/26/13 at 07:10:11

I actually called them .. several years ago. It contains Moly and should not be used with wet clutches.

IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #7 - 09/26/13 at 10:19:51

WD, Oh yeah, I'm definitely familiar with all of the classic SOHC having wet clutches and the CB750 having a semi-dry sump with a separate oil tank.  I've spent too much time lurking around those bikes, and I'm still not done...  Most of the bikes I've ever looked at have had wet clutches that shared oil with the crank, except for Harleys.

I STILL don't understand why they wouldn't tell you that it's not recommended for wet clutches!  I guess I've been lucky that I haven't had any problems.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #8 - 09/26/13 at 10:52:52

HondaLavis wrote on 09/26/13 at 10:19:51:
WD, Oh yeah, I'm definitely familiar with all of the classic SOHC having wet clutches and the CB750 having a semi-dry sump with a separate oil tank.  I've spent too much time lurking around those bikes, and I'm still not done...  Most of the bikes I've ever looked at have had wet clutches that shared oil with the crank, except for Harleys.

I STILL don't understand why they wouldn't tell you that it's not recommended for wet clutches!  I guess I've been lucky that I haven't had any problems.

They don't mention it because in that huge ocean of combustion engine owners,those of us that really care to know are such a small number we don't even equal a single drop of salty water Sad

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:45:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rislone oil additive

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.