service help in NZ (Read 63 times)
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

service help in NZ
09/25/13 at 00:14:19

Hey guys, i bought my bike at 21000km and now my bikes at 31000km,
im a noob so sorry for the stupid questions,

Am I due for a service? if so, what should be done and can I do it by myself and not take it into the shop, cheers.

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: service help in NZ
Reply #1 - 09/25/13 at 02:45:11

Change engine oil and oil filter, clean air filter. See tech section table of contents thread.

Check the valve settings. See tech section table of contents thread.

That is 19,262.5 miles, time to check the cam chain tensioner and most likely replace it with a modified one. Can't recall from earlier posts if you already did this. If not, you need to contact Verslagen1 and get on the list. See the market place page. And then the tech section table of contents thread.

There is a very good reason I'm "pimping" the tech section... dealership service bays are notorious for destroying Savage engines. They tend to put the oil filter in backwards, among other issues.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 09/25/13 at 03:03:18

Tiktok, here's a picture of the service schedule, hopefully. Most of it's inspection. Oil and filter are important. You might consider spark plug replacement if you haven't already, same with the air cleaner element, if it's still stock. If you are running K&N I can't help except to say, use K&N oil and not CRC or WD40 etc. Plug gap is 0.8 to 0.9 mm or 31 to 35 thou of an inch. Standard plug is NGK DPR8EA-9 or Denso X24EPR-U9. I case of a wet looking plug use NKG DPR7EA-9 or Denso X22EPR-U9. There is a good post by Verslagen on Tappet adjustment in the tech section. It's on page 4 or 5 and you will have to scroll through the posts to find it. Clutch cable free play should be 10 to 15 mm at the end of the lever. Disc pad minimum thickness is 1mm. The Shell Rotella oil favoured by many on this site is almost unobtainable here. Paul Marshall, the guy in Carterton favoured a Penrite oil. Shell Rimula may be avaidable at Repco or Super Cheap I can't recommend this as I'm not sure if it's the same as Rotella. Try googling Bob the Oil Guy and probably end up more confused. If you have a Clymer manual, there are errors including the engine rotation and there is a post on this somewhere in the tech section. Verslagen's cam chain tensioner check is on page 9 of the tech section. I'm stuffed.

002_017.jpg

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/25/13 at 07:23:14

Thats 19,000 miles., Its Waay seriously TIME to look at the cam chain.,,If you cant be certain its been looked at, I wouldntstart it again till I had popped the side off.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/25/13 at 14:22:08

WD wrote on 09/25/13 at 02:45:11:
Change engine oil and oil filter, clean air filter. See tech section table of contents thread.

Check the valve settings. See tech section table of contents thread.

That is 19,262.5 miles, time to check the cam chain tensioner and most likely replace it with a modified one. Can't recall from earlier posts if you already did this. If not, you need to contact Verslagen1 and get on the list. See the market place page. And then the tech section table of contents thread.

There is a very good reason I'm "pimping" the tech section... dealership service bays are notorious for destroying Savage engines. They tend to put the oil filter in backwards, among other issues.

Cheers I appreciate it, and no I havent had any work done since I brought the bike, its been humming along nicely and I assummed it was time for a check up, love this forum for all the help. dont ever want to take it into the shop if i dont have too. cheers Smiley

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/25/13 at 14:24:53

jcstokes wrote on 09/25/13 at 03:03:18:
Tiktok, here's a picture of the service schedule, hopefully. Most of it's inspection. Oil and filter are important. You might consider spark plug replacement if you haven't already, same with the air cleaner element, if it's still stock. If you are running K&N I can't help except to say, use K&N oil and not CRC or WD40 etc. Plug gap is 0.8 to 0.9 mm or 31 to 35 thou of an inch. Standard plug is NGK DPR8EA-9 or Denso X24EPR-U9. I case of a wet looking plug use NKG DPR7EA-9 or Denso X22EPR-U9. There is a good post by Verslagen on Tappet adjustment in the tech section. It's on page 4 or 5 and you will have to scroll through the posts to find it. Clutch cable free play should be 10 to 15 mm at the end of the lever. Disc pad minimum thickness is 1mm. The Shell Rotella oil favoured by many on this site is almost unobtainable here. Paul Marshall, the guy in Carterton favoured a Penrite oil. Shell Rimula may be avaidable at Repco or Super Cheap I can't recommend this as I'm not sure if it's the same as Rotella. Try googling Bob the Oil Guy and probably end up more confused. If you have a Clymer manual, there are errors including the engine rotation and there is a post on this somewhere in the tech section. Verslagen's cam chain tensioner check is on page 9 of the tech section. I'm stuffed.

wow thanks JCstokes appreciate all the info and heads up. Smiley

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
Tiktok423

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/25/13 at 14:26:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/25/13 at 07:23:14:
Thats 19,000 miles., Its Waay seriously TIME to look at the cam chain.,,If you cant be certain its been looked at, I wouldntstart it again till I had popped the side off.

Thanks Justin, appreciate the heads up.  Smiley

06 Suzuki S40
First Time Rider
First Bike Owned
Northland
New Zealand
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com