Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
OCT. 1 .... decisions decisions (Read 177 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
OCT. 1 .... decisions decisions
09/24/13 at 10:31:29

My 22year old daughter, in college, has finally gotten her first job. She called upset about her first paycheck. Of the $320 she earned the taxes were $50. Welcome to MY world!
But besides that she wanted me to tell her what she should about the 3 page letter attached to her paycheck, informing her of the requirements and options for obtaining health insurance. The letter basically directed her to the site:
https://www.healthcare.gov/

So there we are. In looking at the site, I am sadden by what I see. To be sure current system is unfair, those that can pay, are being forced to support those that cannot. Now those that cannot pay will be forced to pay, regardless.  Take the position of my daughter, who last year made $3000 working at a church daycare in the summer. Where she not insured by me, then she would be required to purchase ( at the silver level) insurance for $3022.  Or to put in in her current terms... she would need to work over 11 weeks just to pay her own insurance.

My daughter is lucky  ( I hope) in that she is on my insurance. Though for my 2 kids it costs me just under $4000 per year, plus another $2400 that I choose to put in the Flex plan. $6400 per year.

In reading the site, they do make it sound SOOOO wonderful for a college student to get their own coverage. So many benefits... but the bottom line is... its gonna cost, and with a minimum wage job, its gonna eat a large chunk of their yearly earnings.

So minimum wage is $7.25 times 40 hours per week times 52 weeks per year .. $15,080 max dollars per year.

Most businesses are making sure to cut back to no more than 30 hours so.. $11,310 per year. A $3000 insurance bill would be well over 1/3 of all gross pay.

These days the VAST majority of job holders are minimum wage earners facing just these constraints, and its not just college students, its those that lost their job and have been forced to take what-ever they could get to make ends meet. Hopefully I am missing something. I hope that somehow, we will all be insured and sit around the campfire roasting smores and singing KUMBYA.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Re: OCT. 1 .... decisions decisions
Reply #1 - 09/24/13 at 12:50:53

Its about time we quit spending and giving away money overseas, the Americans will not stick together and do something about it. We need to start taking care of our own. I feel for you and your daughter Pine.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/24/13 at 13:55:16

So many will be unable to "Do" what the goobs demand that "Just say No" will be the new mantra.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/25/13 at 07:12:17

Really? She's lucky.
A solid 1/3 went to taxes for me last week.
I mean it. I'm not exhaggerating. The amount I took home was 2/3.

--Steve

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #4 - 09/25/13 at 08:00:39

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/24/13 at 13:55:16:
So many will be unable to "Do" what the goobs demand that "Just say No" will be the new mantra.

Ya think???
Gubs anint stupid... they cant allow that:
https://www.healthcare.gov/what-if-someone-doesnt-have-health-coverage-in-2014/

If someone who can afford health insurance doesn’t have coverage in 2014, they may have to pay a fee. They also have to pay for all of their health care.

The fee in 2014 is 1% of your yearly income or $95 per person for the year, whichever is higher. The fee increases every year. In 2016 it is 2.5% of income or $695 per person, whichever is higher.

In 2014 the fee for uninsured children is $47.50 per child. The most a family would have to pay in 2014 is $285.

It's important to remember that someone who pays the fee won't get any health insurance coverage. They still will be responsible for 100% of the cost of their medical care.

Just say No .. ain't happening....   Huh

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 09/25/13 at 08:18:54

Quote:
It's important to remember that someone who pays the fee won't get any health insurance coverage. They still will be responsible for 100% of the cost of their medical care.

No, they won't. They will just show up at the nearest emergency room, get taken care of, and not pay a doggone thing. Just like they do now.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #6 - 09/25/13 at 19:46:24

I was talking to my Rhuematologist last week and he's expecting 40% of doctors to retire. He said if and when OBamaCare begins you'll see a Nurse or a PA unless you're on your death bed and under 60 years old, only then will you see a doctor. I just lost my Doctor of 15 years 2 weeks ago. She just turned 60. She called me the last day she worked and said "screw ObamaCare, I'm too old to put up with that sh!t" I'm all for universal health coverage, I think it should be a basic human right but I'm afraid Washington has created a trainwreck as the Pubs like to call it and the doctors share the same opinion. When I was able to work and make good money it would have taken a lot to make me change professions. If these Doctors have studied OBamaCare and have decided to quit it doesn't sound very good at all.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #7 - 09/25/13 at 19:51:48

oldNslow wrote on 09/25/13 at 08:18:54:
Quote:

No, they won't. They will just show up at the nearest emergency room, get taken care of, and not pay a doggone thing. Just like they do now.

OlnSlow my friend you're exactly right. They cannot legally let you die or not treat you but they've got a backup plan. Look at your next paycheck! With the IRS in charge what do you think is gonna happen.?  The only way to get around it is never work a public job again, draw retirement or SS. That's why they put the IRS in charge. They keep up with every dime you make!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 09/25/13 at 20:42:03

Find an old country doc, barter for as much as you can, cash under the table income. Old country doc could mean the local large animal veterinarian, same meds, same dosages based on body weight and tissue mass estimates.

What, doesn't anybody else read some of the prepper sites? Quite entertaining... and sometimes actually correct.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #9 - 09/26/13 at 06:44:33

I was talking to buddy of mine.. and a person very much on board with Obama (which is fine) he said I read it wrong, and that it goes by income and that at less than $15000/yr, insurance is $1000/yr.

I dunno... I have a month to redo my own insurance, so when Oct 1 roles around and the state marketplace opens up ... I will look at that.

In the local news this morning... Mississippi ( you know the state.. not the river.. and the lowest income and highest poverty rate) well we are the third MOST expensive marketplace plans in the country. I forget the second place, but first place was Alaska.  

WD- hehe I wonder if my doctor would take re-loads.. he shoots, but mostly Skeet.  Wouldn't that be a pip!

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #10 - 10/01/13 at 11:16:40

The doctors complained when it was fee for service; the doctors complained when it went to health insurance HMO's like we have now; they'll complain under Obama care.

The length of time it takes to become a doctor (MD) is absurd.  Half of the 4 year undergrad program is sciences that they'll never use and should be reserved for those going into research.  Coming out of med school with 100,000. debt is the norm so it costs a lot of medical fees to make it up.  The residency programs are forced labor where the hospitals make the money and reward the name docs who are teaching the new doc how to practice..usually through under paid fellows.  The who system should be reviewed.

And under our HMO system, I've seen the dermatologist's PA the first 3 times (over a 2 year span).  Finally got to see the MD to determine if I should have surgery or not.  Wonder if he would have taken quicker interest than the PA in my now Carcinoma  The second year back I decided to insist on a biopsy which said Yes to Cancer).

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #11 - 10/01/13 at 13:49:00

I talked to my wife about getting a divorce, on paper, and then showing her income, from me in the form of alimony, at 1% above poverty level. For her and two kids the cost would be $392 per year for the year for silver. So I pay that and reduce my coverage at work to just me. I think I save $7,200 to $7,400 per year.

I think that for us to survive a crooked government we have to play by their rules so I am fine with that. Fortunately, all the new gay marriages will result in alot of extra "penatlies" for the rest of us to leech from. Ain't fascism grand???

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/01/13 at 21:06:07

Pine wrote on 09/26/13 at 06:44:33:
I was talking to buddy of mine.. and a person very much on board with Obama (which is fine) he said I read it wrong, and that it goes by income and that at less than $15000/yr, insurance is $1000/yr.

I dunno... I have a month to redo my own insurance, so when Oct 1 roles around and the state marketplace opens up ... I will look at that.

In the local news this morning... Mississippi ( you know the state.. not the river.. and the lowest income and highest poverty rate) well we are the third MOST expensive marketplace plans in the country. I forget the second place, but first place was Alaska.  

WD- hehe I wonder if my doctor would take re-loads.. he shoots, but mostly Skeet.  Wouldn't that be a pip!

a lot of states that refused to expand medicaid/medicare are going to be hurting their citizens as they haven't set up any exchanges so it's all on the federal government to set it up and well, not sure how that's all going to play out, but you do have until December something to get enrolled or whatever so hopefully that's enough time but with college/work schedule and all idk, if she's fairly healthy, maybe just pay the fines and move on until she can get a job that pays better or hell idk, she should at least get subsidies to help pay for the insurance. and employers are going to start getting subsidies to help pay for insurance for their employees too, so it's scary now and idk if it's going to get better soon in states like Texas and Mississippi where conservatives aren't doing anything to help their citizens

IP Logged
Dane Allen
Serious Thumper

Carpe Diem!!

Riverside, CA
Reply #13 - 10/02/13 at 09:10:15

LostArtist wrote on 10/01/13 at 21:06:07:

a lot of states that refused to expand medicaid/medicare are going to be hurting their citizens as they haven't set up any exchanges so it's all on the federal government to set it up and well, not sure how that's all going to play out, but you do have until December something to get enrolled or whatever so hopefully that's enough time but with college/work schedule and all idk, if she's fairly healthy, maybe just pay the fines ....

They are not fines, penalties or anything else. It is a straight up tax, a tax based on nothing to generate yet another revenue source for the gov't. It is the most, brutal, unfair, exploitive tax that I can think of. If you need an example of oppression then look no further.

RIP!! 01/2012-09/2016 S40 Boulevard, Raptor Pet, Rotella T6 Synth, Verslavy CC Tensioner -- You left too soon.
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/02/13 at 13:31:00

Dane Allen wrote on 10/02/13 at 09:10:15:
LostArtist wrote on 10/01/13 at 21:06:07:

a lot of states that refused to expand medicaid/medicare are going to be hurting their citizens as they haven't set up any exchanges so it's all on the federal government to set it up and well, not sure how that's all going to play out, but you do have until December something to get enrolled or whatever so hopefully that's enough time but with college/work schedule and all idk, if she's fairly healthy, maybe just pay the fines ....

They are not fines, penalties or anything else. It is a straight up tax, a tax based on nothing to generate yet another revenue source for the gov't. It is the most, brutal, unfair, exploitive tax that I can think of. If you need an example of oppression then look no further.

whatever, there's a price for everything if you wanna be free, it's gonna cost ya

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 06:27:26

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › OCT. 1 .... decisions decisions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.