Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New owner with a question (Read 138 times)
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
New owner with a question
09/23/13 at 11:45:53

Hi,
I am a new owner of a 97 Savage that I am converting to a Ryca CS-1 build.
I am currently working on the engine, cleaning the out side to maybe paint, fixing a leaky head cover and head bolt cap, replaced the fasteners for the head cover as some were rounded off and one was broke off in the head and I used an easy out to get the broken end out of the head, installed cover with new caps and Permatex Copper silicon gasket.
I also removed the clutch and left hand case cover to strip the clear off and polish.  Got new gaskets for those covers and installed the left side cover but I have stopped at the installing the clutch cover to check timing chain tensioner.  I measured the projection of piston out of the adjuster body and it measured .634".  I thought that was close to needing to add the tab to the piston Ala Verslavy.  I installed the new assembly using the new hole location and noticed that there was a lot of tension on the chain and the shoulder on the piston was barely showing out of the tensioner body, I would say the piston was close to bottoming out in the tension body and the rachet was in the first notch from the tab end.  I was careful to maintain a .625" centers on the original hole to the new hole (as I read in a post in the Tech section).
Sorry for the long spiel but my question is should I go with the first hole for a few more miles before moving to the new hole or should I go to the new hole right away?
I have attached a couple of photos showing how the tensioner looks using each hole.
Thanks for reading,
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: New owner with a question
Reply #1 - 09/23/13 at 13:52:42

I wouldn't worry about the spring tension... that isn't enough to cause chain stretch...  It's the torque of the engine pulses that does the stretching...

I would have recommended the pinned adjuster mod... in addition to the extension though...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #2 - 09/23/13 at 16:26:41

Serowbot wrote on 09/23/13 at 13:52:42:
I wouldn't worry about the spring tension... that isn't enough to cause chain stretch...  It's the torque of the engine pulses that does the stretching...

Thanks Serowbot, that makes sense.

Serowbot wrote on 09/23/13 at 13:52:42:
I would have recommended the pinned adjuster mod... in addition to the extension though...

Yes, I am going to do that next.  I have a mill and I'll set that up tomorrow to machine the slot and drill the hole for the split pin.

Thanks again,
Gerry

This message was posted using Google Chrome on a system using Linux Mint 17 Mate
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/23/13 at 23:07:14

You GO BoY! Sounds like youve got a plan,,Keep those pics comin,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gerry

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southwest Michigan
Reply #4 - 09/24/13 at 18:24:26

Thanks Justin!
Gerry

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 10:23:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New owner with a question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.