Send Topic Print
Speedo problem? (Read 125 times)
mesamav
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Speedo problem?
09/23/13 at 08:30:04

My girlfriend has a 1995 Savage and the speedo cable snapped a few days ago. We bought a new one and while I was installing it, just for grins I pulled the take to check out the speedo. I thought it was a little tough to spin the gear but not enough to worry about. I lubed the gears just a little and installed the cable. I got about 50 feet and snapped the new cable.
Before buying a new speedo, I was wondering if it's possible to open up the speedo to check out the interior workings of the thing.
So my question is, can those be opened up or are they a sealed unit?
One other questions while I have your attention. Her bike has never had the oil indicator light working so I was going to fix that while I was in there but as it turns out, there is nothing in that light socket and it's plugged with a rubber plug. Is there no oil indicator light on these and if there is, where is the sending unit so I can wire a light?
      Thanks

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Speedo problem?
Reply #1 - 09/23/13 at 09:13:52

mesamav wrote on 09/23/13 at 08:30:04:
My girlfriend has a 1995 Savage and the speedo cable snapped a few days ago. We bought a new one and while I was installing it, just for grins I pulled the take to check out the speedo. I thought it was a little tough to spin the gear but not enough to worry about. I lubed the gears just a little and installed the cable. I got about 50 feet and snapped the new cable.
Before buying a new speedo, I was wondering if it's possible to open up the speedo to check out the interior workings of the thing.
So my question is, can those be opened up or are they a sealed unit?
One other questions while I have your attention. Her bike has never had the oil indicator light working so I was going to fix that while I was in there but as it turns out, there is nothing in that light socket and it's plugged with a rubber plug. Is there no oil indicator light on these and if there is, where is the sending unit so I can wire a light?
      Thanks

Sealed face plate, I opened mine and cleaned it up, lubed the guts, reassembled. You can just pull the drive unit guts out and lube them, 2 screws in the black drive unit to lift it out. Vaseline on a toothpick to reach whatever stays inside the housing of the main section.

No indicator light, speedometer is a generic part. No sending unit in the engine, that is one of the many plugged holes on the outer engine cases.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 09/23/13 at 09:55:23

It could be that the problem is just the angle drive on the back of the case, it looks like there are just 2 screws holding that on.

If you need a new speedo....buy on of mine!  I have a really low mileage one from a 2007 that only has 422 miles on it, or I have an early one with the script the sidestand light that has 40,435 miles on it.  Either one will work....with or withoug the sidestand light as the later one just has a removable plug inserted where the light used to go.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1364298186

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 09/23/13 at 10:05:05

Ok Dave....thread jack.... if you hooked up a drill to the speedo that has the 40k miles on it and ran it past 99999.9 would it go back to zero? so you could run it up to the next set of numbers to match what your old broke speedo says (if you where replacing a broken one)?

I'm an honest type guy, I would not leave it at zero or real low mileage....just askin' fer the sake of someone buying your high mileage speedo.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 09/23/13 at 12:24:54

I bought the high mileage speedo from eBay as a joke on the first Dragon Run.  I showed up with a really new looking bike that had less than 1,000 total miles on it.....but the speedo showed 39,000 at the time.  I got a few people that were a bit surprised.

Yeah....given enough time I believe you could run the speedo over 1000,000 miles and then up to the correct number.  It would take a long time.....if you could get the speedo showing 100 mph on the dial, it would take 600 hours to get the odo back to zero.....which is 25 days of constant 100 mph running.

You might need several electric drills to get it done.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 09/23/13 at 15:24:33

I thought our speedos only went to 99,999.9?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
mesamav
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/23/13 at 20:50:34

Dave wrote on 09/23/13 at 09:55:23:
It could be that the problem is just the angle drive on the back of the case, it looks like there are just 2 screws holding that on.

If you need a new speedo....buy on of mine!  I have a really low mileage one from a 2007 that only has 422 miles on it, or I have an early one with the script the sidestand light that has 40,435 miles on it.  Either one will work....with or withoug the sidestand light as the later one just has a removable plug inserted where the light used to go.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1364298186

I guess I'm going to pull the speedo and see what I can do with it. I know it's not the angle drive. I pulled that and the gears looked fine.
If I can't get it working, how much do you want for your speedo's? I live in Mesa Arizona.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 09/24/13 at 05:12:46

arteacher wrote on 09/23/13 at 15:24:33:
I thought our speedos only went to 99,999.9?

Yep.....but they roll over and start counting from 0 all over again.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/24/13 at 06:39:35

If you put another spedo in, take a pic of the new one next to the old  one. Maybe keep the old one, YOIU dont have to run it to the same mileage. Just be honest If/When ya sell it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mesamav
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/24/13 at 07:25:07

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/24/13 at 06:39:35:
If you put another spedo in, take a pic of the new one next to the old  one. Maybe keep the old one, YOIU dont have to run it to the same mileage. Just be honest If/When ya sell it,

I'm not too concerned about the mileage showing on the odometer. It's a 1995 Savage so being that old, it's just not worth enough to worry about the mileage. She only paid $825.00 for it so she can't get hurt if she sells it but she likes it so much, I'm guessing she will have it for a long while.
I'll take your advice about the pictures and keeping the old speedo.

IP Logged
v-pilot

Loud bikes rule!

Rexford NY
Reply #10 - 09/24/13 at 22:57:44

Dave wrote on 09/23/13 at 12:24:54:
I bought the high mileage speedo from eBay as a joke on the first Dragon Run.  I showed up with a really new looking bike that had less than 1,000 total miles on it.....but the speedo showed 39,000 at the time.  I got a few people that were a bit surprised.

Yeah....given enough time I believe you could run the speedo over 1000,000 miles and then up to the correct number.  It would take a long time.....if you could get the speedo showing 100 mph on the dial, it would take 600 hours to get the odo back to zero.....which is 25 days of constant 100 mph running.

You might need several electric drills to get it done.

You can also use a small DC motor with rechargeable batteries, just set it to run reverse

Suzuki DR650, aprilia RSVR, aprilia Falco, Bimota DB4(2x)
Moto Guzzi V10, Ducati 900ss, Triumph Trident, Suzuki LS650
Moto Guzzi Le Mans SE(2x), Moto Guzzi V50, Benelli 250, Ducati 250
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 09/24/13 at 23:14:34

My speedo goes to 11... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 09/24/13 at 23:18:48

My speedo goes to 11...  Tongue...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/14/24 at 03:18:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Speedo problem?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.