Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bike start problem (Read 140 times)
TheProduct2007

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike start problem
09/23/13 at 08:17:06

I have a 96 savage with 12500 miles. Recently I've been having problems getting it started. In order to start the bike, you can not put the choke on or even half on. You have to apply some to almost full throttle and then it will fire. Once it starts some white smoke will come out of the exhaust but that is just for a second. I do have oil leaking from the head gasket too but it's been like that before the issue with starting. What is the issue with this?

I'm going to ride whether I have to push this bike or not!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Bike start problem
Reply #1 - 09/23/13 at 09:29:06

My bike never needed the choke (fuel enrichment) lever to start.....but I never tried when the weather was below 50, and I never had to crank the throttle open.

Your symptoms sound like the engine is getting too much fuel.  Do this test and see if you petcock is working properly.  Do the entire test....not just part of it.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

Your oil leak is not the head gasket......it is most likely the head plug.  Just to the side (foot brake side) of the exhaust port is a hole where you can see the nut on the right front cylinder stud.  Just above this is a rubber plug that leaks oil......and it has to be replaced to correct the oil leak problem.  Use the search function and look up "head plug leak" or go to the Index in the Technical Section to find the repair process.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
TheProduct2007

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/23/13 at 10:09:21

I have the Yamaha petcock replacement and there it does look like the head gasket is leaking. There is oil on both cooling fins I have a picture of it but it's too large to attach I can email a pic or text it if you want

IP Logged
TheProduct2007

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/23/13 at 19:28:38

I just got in my new drag bars and I was tightening the screw to the clutch lever and it wouldn't tighten but it would still catch, I unscrewed it to find out that the inside of the clutch lever is stripped. Does anyone have any suggestions?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/23/13 at 22:22:39

Probe the hole to see if a longer bolt can be used.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
TheProduct2007

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/23/13 at 22:55:30

How would a longer bolt help? Wouldn't the bolt need to be wider instead? Sorry I'm just trying to understand

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 09/23/13 at 23:01:18

If thereare enough threads "down there" that havent been ruined, a longer bolt may have enough to engage.. If not, then if you can use a fatter bolt in that location w/o ruining anything, then you could tap the hole out. You may have to drill first. I dont remember where the bolt youre talking about is, exactly.,I do know that certain taps require a certain drilled hole size. Cant just shove the next size up tap in a hole.,
IDK the diameter of the bolt, or which is the next closest size up. its possible that an SAE tap/& bolt would be the closest. It doesnt Have to be metric,.,it just needs to not take more material than necessary

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #7 - 09/24/13 at 05:32:37

TheProduct2007 wrote on 09/23/13 at 10:09:21:
I have the Yamaha petcock replacement and there it does look like the head gasket is leaking. There is oil on both cooling fins I have a picture of it but it's too large to attach I can email a pic or text it if you want

Seeing that you don't have many posts, we used to have alot of trouble with picture size.  Third-party picture host works best, here are instructions --  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1347074669

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
TheProduct2007

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/24/13 at 06:29:23

Hey justin thanks, I got a better understanding for that now. It is the cap head screw that goes into the clutch lever assembly to loosen it up.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 09/24/13 at 06:32:45

Well,, I  no l;onger have a Savage to look at,,  I soldmine

IP Logged
TheProduct2007

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/24/13 at 06:38:26

I understand, this is my first bike and I'm slowly bobbing it. I just got a lot of different issues that are popping up because it was sitting for three years before I bought it

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/24/13 at 06:51:39

Well,, steel bolts in aluminum threads can sure ( pardon the pun) screw things up. Patience, attention to seating a tool correctly, hitting the stuff youre gonna mess with tomorrow with some penetrating oil today,,the right tools,, all thesethings pay off,

IP Logged
TheProduct2007

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/24/13 at 08:42:27

Here is a pic of the oil leak

image_114.jpg

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 09/24/13 at 08:43:06

Lever or the perch the lever rides in? Just pulled all that mess off mine yesterday, can fish it out of the junk bin if needed. Stateside you can send me your mailing address, I'll drop it in a padded mailer and send it your way. The perch on mine has good threads, but the inside is a bit wallowed out. Lever assembley and safety switch are fine. Perch would require a touch of shimming to get it to hold tight, piece of beer can works fine.

If you aren't stateside, it isn't worth shipping, postage costs more than the parts would new.

I switched to a drum front brake, so need to change to matching brake and clutch perches/levers. Brit spec stuff.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
TheProduct2007

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/24/13 at 08:44:42

The top cooling fins have no oil on them but the bottom ones are almost drenched in it. The bike is hard to start so I have to apply a lot of throttle to get it started without the choke on and it will puff some white smoke for the initial startup but afterwards it doesn't smoke.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:47:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike start problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.