Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Time to  get a grip, folks.; (Read 529 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: Time to  get a grip, folks.;
Reply #60 - 09/26/13 at 11:02:27

Aw, Jerry, you really hit me in my soft spot there...  Smiley

Back in 1968, as we arrived, my dad rented a Maverick for the first few weeks until we settled dow.
When my Mom first saw it she yelled at him "why did you get such a BIG car? Why didn't you get anything smaller and more practical?"
To which his reply "Why, Darling, this was the smallest they had!"
Huh
And it was... to you... but to the untrained European (any European) the Maverick was big...

Imagine when he bought his first car, a Mercury 2 door coupé ! It was champagne gold, and with my Mom it was love at first sight !  Cheesy

Something very similar to this, childhood memories and no pics at all...  Embarrassed

A few years and a few cars later (they cost so little, used, my Dad would buy a "new" one every Fall) we did "graduate" to a Galaxy 500.

Metallic Bronze with a vynil roof... his first V8 and 4-wheel drum brakes!
Again, internet pic; this one looks so much like the chestnut brown "plainclothes" unmarked Police cars, doesn't it? Well, this pic is from the set of "Streets of S.Francisco" with a very young Michael Douglas!  Cheesy

When we returned to Italy, my dad relied on his father's puny little Fiat 850 (4-cyl motorcycle engine... almost!) while my two uncles both had "proper" cars:

Alfa Romeo Giulia TI, DOHC 1300cc for 103 HP (SAE net) off dual Webers, 4-wheel disc brakes, DeDion rear suspension, 5-speed gearbox...  Cool

EXACTLY like this one

Lancia Fulvia 2C, DOHC V4 1300cc for 94 HP (SAE net) off a single Weber, 4-wheel disc brakes, FWD and live rear axle and 5-speed gearbox with dogleg 1st (same as Porsches)

UGLY AS A BRICK, BUT TAKE A LOOK AT THE DRIVER'S SEAT !

My Dad kept the little Fiat until it rotted away (Navy Officer, seaside city, you know...) until he got himself anothe "as close as I can to American"...
... Chrysler-Talbot (Dodge to you) Horizon

with a French 1442cc engine good for 92 HP, cruise control and automatic transmission.
Never failed him once  Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #61 - 09/26/13 at 11:18:28

PS... my Dad'd (Grandad's) FIAT 850...

Would you believe it sat 5 ? Rear engined 850cc good for (a measly) 32 HP...

Go ahead and have a good laugh !  Cheesy

Cheesy

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #62 - 09/26/13 at 11:33:24

Nothing like the current Fiat 500 being sold here now.  I'm starting to see more of them on the streets - I hope the car is successful here.  I haven't driven one yet.

People who never drove 1960s era European small cars don't know what they missed.  I remember driving a VW bus with 40 horsepower on days with stiff headwinds when you could go 50 mph in 3rd gear and 45 in 4th.

Then there was the feeling of driving that Jag XK-150 LeMans Coupe that I owned for a short while during college.  It was a street version of a race car.  It moved.

We made our daughter, who was 16 years old in 1996, learn to drive on a VW Jetta with a manual transmission.  She cussed it then, but is thankful now - especially when she went for her driver's license test and at the end, asked the examiner, who was an old lady from West Virginia, if she passed.  The lady said she passed the moment that she saw that my daughter showed up for the test in a manual.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #63 - 09/26/13 at 12:22:12

OK, Midnight Rider, point taken.
I promise I will PM you the moment I book my flights next time I fly over to visit.
I hope to god your fists are the size of hams because my feet are darn well practiced at kicking ass, holes or no holes.
Furthermore, my doc put me on a protein-rich, low carb diet, so I'm always hungry...   Pesi I expect no less from a man whose country use to put men in rings and have them kill each other for sport. Refresh my memory, it sux. What did I say about the automobile industry, I don't remember and you brought it up.. I think the Italians are the greatest designers in the world when it comes to cars and machines. But I think the Germans have the highest quality. The Asians are the best copiers and are masters at doing it cheaper with less waste, but I don't like their work ethics. I have a Suzuki Forenza. I bought it for an errand and work car. The reason I bought it was because it was $12000 new off the lot. When I was working my job was to keep a 2 million Italian cigararette machine running made by an Italian company called GD. I know you've heard of them. Their factory is right across the street from Ducati. The machine was very well designed for the most part, we did some mods to it and it run even better. It would spit out 425 packs of cigarettes a minute! It was a very sensitive machine and had to be set just right to produce a quality product. But like a Ferarri once you set her up like she was designed to run she was amazing. The German machines I worked on had better metal and were easier to keep running. There was one Italian machine I worked on everyone else hated but I loved it, a GDX500. It had a few flaws like the exit belts and the columbo filipetti was weak. I came up with a mod for the exit belts and after that she would set there and run for hours. I remember one night the Columbo Fillipetti broke. GD's headquarters in Richmond were out. The next night I had to go up on the roof and wait for a helicopter to come in with a new Fillepetti. GD flew it over here by plane overnight and delivered it by helicopter. Pretty good customer service. I've owned one Ducati, a 1986 650. Cagiva bought them out and they wrote Cagiva on the tanks for 2 years until they were sold again. If I ever won the lottery I would try to find a mint 96-99 Ducati 996, I think it was a 996. To me its the most beautiful production model ever built. I'd like to have one in my living room.I loved the handmade fiberglass bodies, I hate it when they went to plastic bodies like the Asians.I learned how to set the valves on a Ducati, no easy task. Future Ducati mechanics are sent to the Ducati Factory in Bolonga 2 weeks just to learn how to set the valves. Shops over here charge at least $600 just to set the valves. You can get a good deal on a Duc with 6000 miles on it because no one wants to pay to have the valves set. I couldn't afford it so it took me over a week but I finally learned and I set several more up for people. A Duc has a cam to open the valves and a cam to close them. Its a trial and error experience settng the valves. You have to have the right size shim and its almost impossible to measure the size shims you need. You guess, the more you do it the better you get. No valve springs. Years ago that was great technology because valve springs would float. Metalurgy has come a long ways and now any Jap sportbike bike will outrev a Duc so Ducati is concentrating now on torque and handling, that's why they're still winning races. On a short twisty track they have an advantage to the high revving bikes that takes a few seconds to get them wound up. Well that's about all the experience I've had with the Italians, to be honest it wasn't half bad.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #64 - 09/26/13 at 13:23:16

Hi Midnight, I'm glad to see the tones have mellowed.

"Pesi I expect no less from a man whose country use to put men in rings and have them kill each other for sport. "

Er... actualy, that wasn't us, Guv, that was the Greeks.

This is a world famous masterpiece, a bronze sculpture. It wasn't hammered into shape, it was forged.

We Romans had our laughs poking fun at the French...  Wink

As for GD cigarette machines, I don't smoke, so I had to look them up.
Reading your description of those machines brought back long-forgotten memoreis of the one motorbike I loved the moment I bought it, and hated the moment I realized I had been sold a bike that had been raced to Death in those "after midnight" clandestine races.

Still, today she would meet a much more favorable fate  Smiley

(notice the racing tach...  Wink)

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #65 - 09/26/13 at 16:27:54

Left to their own devices, without the impetus from foreign manufacturers, we'd all still be seeing 2 ton Ford Galaxy 500s, Chevy El Caminos, and Cadillac Sedan DeVilles coming out of Detroit.

And today's European manufacturers couldn't duplicate the cutting edge cars and motorcycles today that they did in the past. The tree huggers have a firmer grip on that side of the Pond than they do here on this side, which is too bad.

All of which makes Europe's decline all that much sadder.  They could no more duplicate their automotive success of days past than we could land at Normandy and liberate Europe.  :'(

Those days are gone for both of us I fear. Raise a glass tonight for days past fellas.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #66 - 09/26/13 at 19:20:52

I race 1/10 Radio Contol cars called the GT Mini Class. Its my favorite class of RC Racing. We race Fiats, Opels, Alpha Rs, JCW Mini Coops Alpha Romeo Mitas and of course the Mini Coopers and a few others. I would love to have a real Mini Cooper to drive to the race to run my toy one.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #67 - 09/26/13 at 20:10:40

Web you been paying attention to whats coming out of Detroit or wherever we make them now. Mustangs, Camaro's, Chargers, Challengers. Corvettes are still on the production line. The Germans reintroduced the Bug. English, Mini Coopers again. Its all for old fart dreamers like us who miss the good ol days. The only real sportscar I ever had was a Miata which was great for a Asian attempt at a sportscar. I'd love to have another one. I thought the Pontiac Soltice was beautiful but it disappeared quickly. I spent most of my money on motorcycles and guitars. I had 5 motorcycles when my wife met me but talk about old fart dreamers look at the interest now in Café Bikes. I wish Mick would come back to talk about the real ones. Honda is again making 4 cyl air cooled engines selling them in Europe. And just to make Pesi happy Vespas. These machines are made only for dreamers. The future is my 250 Ninja, 70mpg,100mph, cruise all day at 75mph, 10,000 miles on a set of tires and its affordable.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #68 - 09/27/13 at 01:26:12

First things first, as I hate to fall prey to "false friends" when speaking/writing in English, I wrote a few posts back 8and before a sleepless night, prey to mosquitoes... again... Tongue) that the "Greek Boxer" was "forged".

"Forged" as in Latin "Forgiare", i.e. "create working molten metal", not as in "counterfeit.  Wink

As for the sports cars... THIS is the one and true Mini Cooper

She was SO hot she won the 1964 Monte Carlo, humbling Porsches, Citroen and the like.

http://classicmotorsports.net/articles/monte-carlo-minis/

The modern Mini Cooper looks nice alright, but it's a rebadged Mini BMW...  Lips Sealed nothing more than a german-built british wannabe  Embarrassed

...if you know what I mean...

It's as if someone bought a few names off ... a struggling Italian supercar firm and manufactured a chinese riceburner called "5ive"

Purely as an example, of course !

However, please do not believe that the only Japanese sportscar was the Miata, quite the opposite:
I, for one, clearly remember the Toyota Celica from the early '70s
(which looked like a miniature Mustang),
the Datsun 240Z

not to mention the "too fast to race" Skyline GT-R...

Don't you guys miss the '70s ?  Undecided

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #69 - 09/27/13 at 01:38:45

Nice,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #70 - 09/27/13 at 06:12:16

Actually, I miss the European offerings of the late 1950s and 60s.  By the 70s, the true sports cars were gone.

My favorites were the MGA and MGB, the TR-3 and TR-4, Austin Sprites and Midgets, and the Sunbeam Alpine.  Those were all true sports cars, and affordable for nearly everyone.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #71 - 09/27/13 at 06:42:35

Yep,, highway safety killt them I guess.. Used to see little 2 seaters all  the time when I was a kid,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #72 - 09/27/13 at 07:10:26

JOG -
Lots of things led to the demise of that genre of car.  I certainly can't list all.

First was comfort - they were designed for short trips in England, not long trips in the U.S.  The MGA, TR-3, and early Sprites has side curtains for windows.  Roll up, glass windows didn't appear till the MGB and TR-4 and later Sprites and Midgets.  Sprites and Midgets are the same car, just badged as an Austin and MG, respectively.  Side curtains leak in the rain, and bow out at highway speeds, making the interior as secure as a tent in a hurricane.  Heaters and defrosters were laughable.  Little to no interior luggage space either.

They weren't fast, some of them barely able to go 90 mph with a strong tailwind.  Again, on a twisty English country road they were fun to drive, but as we got more interstates here, they weren't up to the task of highway cruising.

They weren't very reliable - especially the Lucas electrical systems.  Most had to have the cylinder heads removed for a valve job and de-carbonizing about every 30,000 to 40,000 miles.  Then the  odd quirks, like electrical fuel pumps - a wire coming loose stranded you along the road, or the idea of getting 12 volts by putting in 2 six volt batteries wired in series.

Convertible tops were, of course, manual, and most were totally removed to open the car, and you stored a bunch of bows and the fabric top in the luggage area.

In essence, they were primitive.  Fun as heck to drive on a nice summer day in the country, but horrible in American winter climates, unreliable as daily transportation, and of course, only 2 seats.

The American consumer just wouldn't put up with all of that, especially into the 1970s were far more civilized cars came about.

And, you are correct about the safety and pollution regulations - the last straws that broke their backs.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #73 - 09/27/13 at 07:28:13

Do you know why English drink warm Beer? They have Lucas refrigerators

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #74 - 09/27/13 at 07:43:48

I have a friend who still drives a Toyota Celica. Pesi A model company called Tamiya makes the famous Monte Carlo Mini Cooper. The models I race are reproductions of the old ones. Ive been driving by a mint British Racing Green Triumph with a for sale sign on it for the last 2 weeks. Its all I can do to keep the pickup from pulling in that driveway. I think MG's were better cars than Triumphs but not owning either that's not a professional opinion. I tuned several Mgs , Jags and Triumphs up for guys. I had a special stethoscope, you guys have seen em. With my musical background I could make those Webers sing the same note. Did the same with multi cylinder bikes too until I bought a mercury gauge. Helped a buddy of mine rebuild a 54 Jag over 40 years ago. I remember those pistons were the biggest ones I've ever seen. He had the paperwork from the factory and it was guaranteed to run 140mph from the factory in 1954

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 05:48:15

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Time to  get a grip, folks.;

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.