Send Topic Print
Don't stay running (Read 84 times)
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Don't stay running
09/15/13 at 12:51:34

Hey, Total newbie here. Just bought 97 savage with 8500 miles. Drained gas out, took off petcock, removed tank including electrical connection and cable under seat. Unscrewed 4 screws on top of carb, took out spring and piston. Inspected. Put back together, reconnected electricals and cable under tank, put tank back on, put petcock back on, put gasoline back in. Cranked right back up but won't run like before unless I have choke all the way out and even then when I put it in gear it dies! HELP!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Don't stay running
Reply #1 - 09/15/13 at 13:39:45

Turn the petcock to Prime for a minute,... then try it...

If that ain't it,.. you done something wrong... Only way to find out what, is to do it all over again...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Reply #2 - 09/15/13 at 13:45:01

Thanks, figured I did something wrong. Will check it out in the am!

IP Logged
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Reply #3 - 09/16/13 at 10:09:13

Fixed problem! My lame-ass forgot to hook the vacuum hose back up! Runs fine now! SO.....now to address the real issue that I discovered a few days ago. Have only been scooting around my little town so far but took it out the other day about 4 miles or so. A few times it seemed like the throttle hung up or something. It happened when switching gears. Pressed in clutch, let off of throttle, switched into 4th or 5th, and right when it went into gear it seemed like the throttle revved up for a second or two and then returned to normal? Does that make sense? Also, since I have only taken the rider safety course and still don't have much real experience I am unsure if this is normal or not. When approaching 50 mph, it seems like the front end wobbles a little. And it seems like i barely have to shift my weight at all for the back-end to respond. Does this sound normal or am I just being a nervous little nellie?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 09/16/13 at 10:32:34

Is your throttle cable sticking?... also make sure the grip isn't rubbing against something...

Wobble at 50mph?... just a guess,... but do you have wide handlebars, or a windshield?...
It can happen that as wind increases, and buffets against a windshield, or even just hitting your shoulders... it tugs at your shoulders a bit and makes you wiggle the bars...

Test it by relaxing your arms a bit, the next time you feel wobble start...
Some noob riders tend to have a death grip on the bars for fear of blowing off at higher speeds...

Ride safe... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Reply #5 - 09/16/13 at 10:36:04

Stock handlebars and no windshield. I'll check throttle cable. Is there a thread on that somewhere?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #6 - 09/16/13 at 10:40:37

Quote:
seemed like the throttle revved up for a second or two and then returned to normal? Does that make sense?

Make sure the twisgrip closes all the way when you let go of it. You can do this with the bike in neutral. Open the throttle about half way and just let go. Engine should go right back to idle. If it dosen't, check the throttle cable adjustment.

Another possibility is a sticky slide in the carb but you said you looked at that.

If the throttle is ok check the clutch cable. Make sure you have a little slack in the cable. When you pull the lever it should move a little - a quarter of an inch or so - before it gets tight and actually starts to move the cable. If the cable is too tight the clutch will slip causing the symptom I think you're describing.

On decent pavement your front end shouldn't wobble at 50mph. How is your front tire?  Also check the air pressure in BOTH tires. 29psi front,33 rear is the factory spec. for a solo rider. Start with that.

IP Logged
aegerprimo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tucker, GA
Reply #7 - 09/16/13 at 10:49:14

Will do! Thanks so much! This is awesome help

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/16/13 at 14:23:40

If its not the throttle, then maybe the slide is hanging a bit.,.,
You otta be able to test the cable w/ engine off,Just watch the carb, where the idle screw lands,, You open the throttle, let off & that plate should stop oin the idle screw, every time. Turn the bars left & right & try it, too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 19:26:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Don't stay running

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.