Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Riding on dirt/gravel (Read 217 times)
Dutch82
YaBB Newbies

Michigan/Montana
Riding on dirt/gravel
09/12/13 at 19:21:32

I fly fish and camp a lot, and I like to take my bike on these trips.  I inevitably end up having to drive on gravel or dirt roads to get to my destination.  I haven't had any issues yet, but really don't love doing it.  I'm going on a trip this weekend where I'll have to go around 7 miles on a dirt/sand road to get to my camping spot.  

Any tips for driving on these sketchy roads from some or more seasoned riders other than low and slow?

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Re: Riding on dirt/gravel
Reply #1 - 09/12/13 at 19:48:43

Well . . . What I do is usually stay in third gear and keep it around 25-30 mph tops. Faster seems to scare the poopers out of me with every little jiggle, and slower the bike seems to want to wander all over the place. I do a l-o-t of dirt, gravel and back woods riding and the thing is to remember that patience is THE virtue.

All of my riding of late has been on a top heavy GS 850 and the above works  just fine. On the Sav with the darksider on the back it's even easier.

Jack

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/12/13 at 23:19:53

Buy a Go-Pro...
Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/13/13 at 00:22:56

Loose dirt/sand. Slow before you get to it, put your weight as far back as ya can & gently accelerate. Keeps thr front tire on top better which keeps it from wobbling in the dirt.

Hands off front brake,, fingers, even a pinky, off,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
noname
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/13/13 at 07:44:58

I raced desert for years and I can tell you speed is on your side. you are far more stable at 90  than you are at 10. your wheels are like gyros. I'm not suggesting that you ride 90 miles per hour what I'm saying is pick up speed that you are comfortable with and don't worry about a little wiggle try to keep your weight rear standing on the pegs doesn't hurt either.

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #5 - 09/13/13 at 08:29:37

step 1.  make sure your tires are at the proper pressure.
step 2.  make sure to top off your fuel tank.
step 3.  buy a klr

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #6 - 09/13/13 at 10:24:04

noname wrote on 09/13/13 at 07:44:58:
I raced desert for years and I can tell you speed is on your side. you are far more stable at 90  than you are at 10. your wheels are like gyros. I'm not suggesting that you ride 90 miles per hour what I'm saying is pick up speed that you are comfortable with and don't worry about a little wiggle try to keep your weight rear standing on the pegs doesn't hurt either.

And be prepared to bail out if you run across the unexpected!   Seriously, noname has it right as far as he went,but on rock and ledges ya have to be ready for the stuff you can't get through/across/around.  A fall in mud or sand will hurt but not likely to break you....rock's a whole 'nother story Angry

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 09/13/13 at 10:36:35

My old dirt bike with nobby tires, lots of suspension, and mid placed pegs rode well on dirt and gravel.  Sure they scooted around a bit, but not in a scary way.  Hitting the corners and applying throttle to hang the back end out and throw gravel roostertails was fun!

The forward pegs, smooth round tires, narrow and high handlebars, and marginal suspenions travel on a Cruiser makes the gravel roads a bit more intimidating.

You can ride on gravel and with experience and practice it will become less intimidating....but go a bit slow at first until you get the hang of it.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 09/13/13 at 10:48:59

Reason I said slow down before entering sand is, In order to accelerate thru, you mite need to. Also, I dont like transition from dirt to sand. Ive gone into sand at 10/15 MPH & come out over 50. I was riding a Kawa 750 twin.

222.0 kg (489.4 pounds)
I was also alone & no one would have found me for days hadI gotten hurt, but I was also still bulletproof, 26 or 7 Y/o

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ylekot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/13/13 at 12:33:08

My last bike was a Vmax and dirt roads were no issue.......

30 mph and let the bike do what it wants to.......it will wander and shimmy ya just have to keep your balance and keep it headed in the general direction......

Not much different than a steel deck bridge to me.....

$0.02 deposited Smiley

EDIT:  Loose sand SUCKS with only 2 wheels of any sort IMHO

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 09/13/13 at 13:34:23

Read a few times on here that belt drive bikes and gravel roads don't mix well. Serious issue, or more of a "could happen, but not that big of a deal one"?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/13/13 at 14:31:50

I dont run on gravel roads, but the drive is.. Aaaand Ive seen a rock jammed thru the belt once

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #12 - 09/14/13 at 20:14:55

Yup keeping a steady speed is a good idea, but if you don't feel comfortable doing it, truthfully, I wouldn't do it. Of course with practice or doing it a few times, you can do it and get more comfortable, just depends on you.

And if you want to practice...just head up to North Carolina in the spring with the group... you could just get in some "practice" on gravelly mountain roads... so if you think a little flat dirt or gravel road scares you... it won't after you go on a ride with this group. LOL

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 09/14/13 at 20:44:27

Practice. Stay loose in the seat, don't lock your arms, stay off the front brake (take the lever off until you get used to the feel of dirt/gravel), stay on the gas. Feather the clutch if you need to downshift or slow down.

I used to run the dirt/gravel road the 8 miles from Washington State University to the University of Idaho on a nearly stone stock 1973 CB350F, yep, a four banger. Thought nothing of hitting the corners at 40-60 mph, street tires, drum rear brake, chain drive.

Savage is fine on those roads as well. You just need to let the bike "shake" a bit without letting it get to you. I would recommend a better set of tires though, the stock IRC set is bad on pavement, it is as squirmy as a greased snake on sand/gravel/dirt. Not enough voids in the tread.

As for the belt, rock it until it snaps and switch to a chain and sprockets. Replacement belts are stupid high priced.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
MileHiRider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, Colorado
Reply #14 - 09/15/13 at 09:50:04

Buy a dual-sport bike!
I've ridden my Savage on some short, packed, gravel roads and did'nt enjoy it. I also ride a DRZ, dirt and gravel roads are fun to ride with
this type of motorcycle. Check Craigslist for a '04 or newer DRZ, or
a DR650, both great cousins to the Savage.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 03:41:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Riding on dirt/gravel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.