Oil Leak? (Read 85 times)
attiii
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Washington, DC
Oil Leak?
09/10/13 at 20:36:13

I've been riding every day this summer, mostly in the city (stop and go), and have to say I love this bike!  It's a 2000 LS650 with 11k miles on it.  I'm planning on checking the cam-chain tensioner this winter, but I did notice what looks like fresh oil on the top of the cylinder head, you can see it on the fins.  Is this anything to be worried about, or typical for this engine? Thanks in advance!

photo_2.JPG
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Re: Oil Leak?
Reply #1 - 09/10/13 at 21:06:53

Clean it off and try to isolate the location.  It's got a 99% chance of being the notorious head cap leak.  You can read all about it here:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1099227295

Wink

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/11/13 at 01:04:00

...and don't park yer' bike facing down like that...
Stuff's bound to leak... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #3 - 09/11/13 at 06:31:16

It's not a problem to run the bike.  The leak is small.  I bought mine already leaking and rode it for almost 6000 mi before fixing it.  I had to wipe down the fins every 3 or 4 rides.  Otherwise oil would puddle on the ends of the fins.  Then when riding, the oil would blow back onto the side covers and battery box.  I would occasionally take the bike to a car wash and clean the cylinder and head so the oil wouldn't collect a bunch of dirt and crud.

IP Logged
attiii
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Washington, DC
Reply #4 - 09/11/13 at 06:41:36

Thanks so much!  I may have imagined it but at the end of a ride a day before I noticed this I thought I heard a clunk (but I think it may have just been the clutch).  

In terms of cleaning at a carwash (and this is going to be a totally dumb question) is there any danger of dislodging hoses, lines, or connections with the high pressure spay wash hoses?  Obviously with a car one's engine is shielded.  

This is a truly great forum, and I thank you all for the quick replies on this topic, especially yours Serowbot: I thought storing it vertically would help save space Tongue

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #5 - 09/11/13 at 07:24:41

IMHO, I would suggest you avoid the high pressure sprays and use a cleaner and garden hose.

Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 09/11/13 at 08:00:49

While on the subject of cleaners,  please be aware that some of the automotive type spray on engine cleaners will attack the clear coat on your cases.

Dishwashing detergent, HOT WATER and a soft bristle car brush will remove the oily residues and will not hurt your clear coat.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 09/11/13 at 08:40:41

I use Bike Bright to clean my motorcycles.  It takes off dirt and grease and is safe for the metal and painted parts.  Spray it on when the bike is cool and not parked in the sun, let it soak for a minute or two while you get the bucket and car wash soap ready, brush any really greasy areas with a small paint brush, then wash with the car wash and then hose it off with a garden hose.   Avoid spraying a strong force of water at the electrical parts and carb.  Then after rinsing blow the boke off with a leaf blower or air compressor hose if you have one, then dry with a towel.....then go for a ride.  NEVER wash a bike and then just push it in the garage and close the door....there are lots of pocket for the water to sit in and corrode stuff......go for a ride and warm the bike up before you put it away.    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 18:42:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Leak?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.