Send Topic Print
Battery Questions (Read 66 times)
Hal Kent
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Battery Questions
09/09/13 at 16:48:53

My husband was the person who knew motorcycles and he died.

I'm trying to get my bike (S40) running so I can ride it.  I had a new battery put in and new tires BUT ... I waited to long and now it won't start again.

A guy came over to take me out and we couldn't get it to turn over.  But we were able to run the battery down.  

I filled it with gas (and stabilizer).  I want to put battery on a tender or jump it with my truck.  How do you get the battery out or how can I connect it while still on the bike.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Battery Questions
Reply #1 - 09/09/13 at 17:20:08

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
chiguy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chicago area
Reply #2 - 09/09/13 at 18:08:03

Here's a tip I found very handy:  I got a battery tender (at one or another auto parts store, or maybe even Target).  The brand is Duracell.  The nice thing with this particular model is that it comes with some cables.  One cable has connectors that you can permanently attach to the battery, and leave the end of that cable dangling out in the open (that end has a plug that you can plug in to the battery tender cable).  So, whenever you need to charge up the battery, you can just plug in the connector and you don't have to fool directly with the battery itself.  This is a great benefit, because pulling the battery and getting the cables reattached is a PITA.  I live up north and ride much of the winter, so being able to top up the battery with ease is a great benefit.  The other handy thing is that the trickle charger also comes with a set of clamps that you could connect to another battery, say, to jump start it.  The one caution there is to be careful to get the polarity right: since you are doing things kind of backwards with the jump start setup, the red/black polarity is reversed from normal.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/10/13 at 06:45:58

chiguy wrote on 09/09/13 at 18:08:03:
 The other handy thing is that the trickle charger also comes with a set of clamps that you could connect to another battery, say, to jump start it.  The one caution there is to be careful to get the polarity right: since you are doing things kind of backwards with the jump start setup, the red/black polarity is reversed from normal.

Those clamps and connecctor were not meant for jumping batteries....they are provided so you can connect the trickle charger to a battery with the clamps.  The wires are not heavy enough to use as "jumper cables" between batteries.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 09/10/13 at 06:56:03

The "pigtails" that you leave connected to the battery usually have a fuse, too. That fuse is usually rated about twice the amperage of the charger, and will blow if you try to use the pigtail to jumpstart the bike.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 09/10/13 at 07:48:42

Charon wrote on 09/10/13 at 06:56:03:
The "pigtails" that you leave connected to the battery usually have a fuse, too. That fuse is usually rated about twice the amperage of the charger, and will blow if you try to use the pigtail to jumpstart the bike.

No fuse in mine. I've actually done exactly what chiguy suggested - once with a 20amp battery charger - once using the battery in my lawn tractor- without any problem. With a car battery; probably not. Even with the 20 amp charger, the pigtail got pretty warm .

And like chiguy said, if you plug the connectors together the polarity at the alligator clips is reversed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 03:28:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.