Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clutch slips under hard throttle (Read 59 times)
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Clutch slips under hard throttle
09/06/13 at 08:08:08

If I get on the throttle very hard in second at low speed or am going slow and suddenly go over half throttle in third or fourth, the clutch slips.  It will catch back up soon and then be fully caught again.  Rolling along at say 45 in fourth and hit it, it will slip and catch back up as the bike accelerates.  If I roll up to the speed in a little more sedate manner, no slippage at all at any speed. It's just when I hit it hard.

Using Rotella T oil, I have no idea what the PO's used in it. Bike is an 87 with 24k miles, all stock except dyna muffler and handlebars. I have close to 1/8 inch free at the clutch perch before I feel the clutch start to catch.  Arm at the engine casing is right in the middle with the rubber band test. Clutch operation is completely normal except that high power slippage.

Springs weakened over the years? First thing I did when I got it was oil and filter.  I've been so busy this year, I've only had time to put a thousand miles on it.

Any ideas or should this be one of those just don't get on it quite so hard and live with it situations?

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Clutch slips under hard throttle
Reply #1 - 09/06/13 at 08:23:08

Switch to conventional oil, bet the slip goes away... some bikes just don't like light or synthetic oils, and especially a combination of the two. My bike will lose an entire crankcase worth of syn in about 3 hours run time.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/06/13 at 08:36:32

RotT is conventional, T6 is syn.

If you've used unfriendly oil in the past, you may need a friction disc scour.

But new springs maybe in order too.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/06/13 at 09:28:56

You just have too much power...

I tried to correct this myself,... but, found that all that power connecting instantly, was temporarily slowing the rotation of the Earth...
This was causing porpoises and dolphins to become nauseous....  and beach themselves...
I don't want to hurt them,.. so, I decided to just let it slip...

Yup,... That's what a nice guy I am... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 09/06/13 at 09:53:45

Hmmmmmm ..... that 60 PPM of moly oil that is still listed in EVERY synthetic oil on the approved list may be coming to see us.    

I have noticed I have to tune my clutch at the handlebars more frequently as of late, and I have wondered about that 60 PPM of moly oil when I am doing the re-adjusting.

The Honda flat six & touring sites still won't recommend any of the synthetic oils for this very reason, they want to stay with Rotella Triple Protection (dino 15w40 in the white jug because it has no moly oil in it at all.

When I run out of T6 I may just change over for a white jug or two of dino Rotella just to see if the frequency of handle bar tuning changes any.

Tongue

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #5 - 09/06/13 at 10:20:54

I'm using the dino stuff...Rotella T not the T6 syn.  

I have no idea what was used in it before I got it.  The engine sounds great. No undue noises anywhere.  

The guy I got it from bought it to flip it and make some money.  He f'd up on the carb cleaning when he put it back together and couldn't fix it.  So, I got it for what he had in it. The title, which he never put in his name was from a guy in Dallas NC.  It's got a sticker on the swingarm from Seymour's Motorsports in Latham NY so, it's been around. No owner's manual or notes about any maintenance anywhere with the bike.

I love the bike.  Guess I'm just really getting used to it. I find myself hitting the throttle a little harder sometimes than what I used to and leaning it a bit more in curves too.  Not dragging pegs though.  Last thing I drug on a bike in a turn was the valve cover on my goldwing.

Had a dirt bike once that did this with the clutch.  After replacing disks, steels, and springs it still had the same problem. I just became aware of it and didn't push it quite that hard.

I guess one day I'll have to pull the cluch cover and see what the timing chain tensioner looks like. Maybe I'll have to  try scouring the disks at the same time.

Sero...was it causing time dialation effects also? Maybe that's why my days never seem to be long enough anymore.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:21:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch slips under hard throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.