Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Is my bike running right?? (Read 381 times)
Jen
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Long Island, NY/Central PA
Is my bike running right??
08/22/13 at 15:29:39

I am 5'5", 120 lb, just bought an '06 S40 with 3700 miles. I rode it for the first time today.  I also have an '06 1200 Sportster that is also new to me. I bought the S40 because the Harley just felt too heavy to learn on as a first bike.

Anyway, the Suzuki feels like the MSF bikes. I don't know if this is because the Harley is 1200 cc and the Savage is 650 cc, but I feel like I'm riding a Honda Rebel.  

Do you guys think there is something up with the Suzuki or just that it will feel that less powerful compared to the Harley? Thanks!

2006 Suzuki Boulevard S40, 2006 Sportster XL1200 L
  IP Logged
Dodgeman
YaBB Newbies

Wallaceburg Ontario, Canada
Re: Is my bike running right??
Reply #1 - 08/22/13 at 15:50:25

We just bought an 06 Suzuki S-40 for my wife, and she is  learning again, how to ride. She hasn't ridden one for a lot of years.  Her very first ride was a 100cc Kawasaki. The S-40 fits her really good, and her feet are able to reach the ground just as they should. I taught her the first time, and am doing so again.  She is doing better each time she rides the bike. She really likes how it rides and handles, with the throttle being her only concern.  It is a quick acceleration if you turn the throttle just a bit too much.  I feel the S-40 is not too big of a bike to learn how to ride. Yes the 1200 Harley will be heavier and more powerful than the 650 S-40 Suzuki!!!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 08/22/13 at 16:07:11

Next to a 1200, the S40 feels like a toy. Displacement differences, different power curves, lower seat, lighter overall...

Learn on the Savage. Get good with it, it can/will do everything the Sporty can do it's just a bit slower (and more nimble).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 08/22/13 at 18:54:35

Jen, I going to let the remark about the S40 feeling like a Rebel slide because you are new here and--well--I'm a nice guy.  Grin Glad you got a Savage/S40. Unless you are into the biker chick, Harley thing you may sell the Harley after you get better at riding. The Rebel has about 233cc iirc. That's down about, um let's see, subtract from 650 carry the one, well it's a bunch, okay? In the real everyday world of riding to work or day touring the S40 has alot more power and speed on tap and can cruise all day at 4 lane speeds without a strain. The Rebel has about 18hp, I think, so physical size are about the only comparison you can make. And I have a close friend who is selling his Honda Magna and going back to a Fat Bob, because he misses the sound and the vibration. So whatever you do, I hope you stay safe and enjoy whatever you decide to ride. And a Savage can nearly be compared heads up with a Harley 883 and its 45 hp with 1/4 mile numbers and top end versus cost and reliability. Good riding.    

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Jen
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/22/13 at 19:23:02

I'm not trying to disparage the S40 by comparing it to a Rebel, but that is how mine feels. I'm assuming there may be something wrong with it. The bike did a lot of sitting, brakes squeal, and there doesn't feel like there's much power.  Shifting from first to second results in the bike running rough initially, which could be me needing to shift better or the bike. I'm a lot happier with the S40 vs the Harley. Yes, I do like Harleys and the whole "biker chick" thing Smiley

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 08/22/13 at 19:37:30

If you are still on the original front brake pads they will squeal. It might pay to either check them yourself or have them checked if you don't like the mechanical side of it. If you fell there is insufficient power the bike should get to about 55 mph in second and 75 mph in third. If you can get to 70 mph in third you should be ok

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 08/22/13 at 20:02:05

Jen, just explain what your bike sounds and feels like, there will be tons of replies on what to check or what you need to do to make it better. If you know a hammer from a screwdriver and can twist a bolt in the right direction there is a possibility you can fix it yourself with a little pointing in the right direction from the savage guru's here.

I have been turning wrenches most of my life and got my wife's 04' savage running hot! I can twist the throttle and be at 60 mph in about a half a block easy. I rode it from the panhandle of florida all the way to north Carolina to show the guys how well they coached me, cause the bike runs great now.

If you think you could work on your bike, do it.... the savage is a very easy motorcycle to wrench on, unlike the sportster which is fuel injected and has more electronics to fool you into thinking you know whats wrong with it.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Jen
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/22/13 at 20:16:20

My year Sportster has a carb.

The bike is running rough, shifts rough into gear (which could be my inexperience with it) and it has the brake issue. I went to Suzuki and the guy said it needs like $300 of carb work because it was sitting. I haven't had the bike inspected or looked at yet.  I don't feel comfortable riding it to the shop yet based on how rough it has been riding.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 08/22/13 at 20:29:54

Sounds like you need to learn how to work on your savage. Most small motorcycle shops around here charge about $65 an hour plus parts. I think I spent maybe two and a half hours on this carb to get it running good, of course if yours had been sitting for a couple years you might need to take it apart to clean it up a bit, and that will take a few hours.

The first thing I did to the wife's savage was to change out the fuel shut-off valve (petcock) and plug up the vacuum on the right side of the carb, then pull the tank off and remove the top of the carb and put in two small plastic washers in place of the thick one that is there. I then adjusted the air/fuel screw till the bike ran a bit better and there was no pop on shut down.

Oh and the mechanic I had look it over, told me the same thing....that it needed tons of carb work.

There are some step by step posts around here somewhere, i'm sure a few of the guys that know whats up will let you see the links to them soon.

This bike is really simple to fix, once you learn about the few things that need to be addressed to make it run right.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
sesamestreet

Mississauga
Reply #9 - 08/22/13 at 20:44:21

jcstokes wrote on 08/22/13 at 19:37:30:
If you are still on the original front brake pads they will squeal. It might pay to either check them yourself or have them checked if you don't like the mechanical side of it. If you fell there is insufficient power the bike should get to about 55 mph in second and 75 mph in third. If you can get to 70 mph in third you should be ok

really? maybe it's cause i'm a heavier guy, or my idle speed is too high or something, because i don't think it works that way for me.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 08/22/13 at 20:50:52

Jen wrote on 08/22/13 at 20:16:20:
the guy said it needs like $300 of carb work because it was sitting.  

oof dah  howyadoinsweetheart   Grin

an hours worth of work and 4 more staring at it from a crossed the room in my easy chair while it's boiling in the cleaner.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 08/22/13 at 21:01:45

jcstokes wrote on 08/22/13 at 19:37:30:
If you are still on the original front brake pads they will squeal.
yes they will, take your eyeball and look for a groove where the pad meets the disc, if you don't see one or the pad is less than a 1/16" thick, you need new ones.  kevlar pads are less likely to squeal.
Quote:
If you felt there is insufficient power the bike should get to about 55 mph in second and 75 mph in third. If you can get to 70 mph in third you should be ok

wow, you really want to tell to whined it out like that?  redline in 2nd?

WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #12 - 08/22/13 at 21:08:29

That's what the book says it will do Verslagen, maybe 45 in second to be on the safe side. After all we don't have rev counters as stock.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #13 - 08/23/13 at 19:52:26

If you decide to do the carb strip thing (got a few minutes spare), this stuff is amazing for cleaning it up.
http://www.amazon.com/Yamalube-Carburetor-Cleaner-Dip-oz/dp/B002GU4SPA

IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #14 - 08/24/13 at 23:47:33

I used an old crock pot filled it with anti-freeze set it on low and let mine soak for a couple of days it came out looking brand new and got all of the old varnish out with no problem.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:19:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is my bike running right??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.