Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New $$ Umpteen Million Dollar Microsoft Write Off (Read 54 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
New $$ Umpteen Million Dollar Microsoft Write Off
09/02/13 at 07:12:22

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-RT/productID.2752...

Note:  Win 8 PCs and laptops for $299.99 are already gone -- ads have been pulled already.

While "Ballmer the walking dead" is still around to wear the brand new UGLY UGLY set of horns for having done it yet again, Microsoft has authorized a brand new $100 off your best deal discount on selected Windows 8 PCs & selected Windows 8 laptops and has whacked the price again on Surface units, throwing in the keyboard cover in for free as part of the deal.  

Some pundits theorize that Microsoft is selling the units off at a large loss each to make sure all the ugly associated with Win 8 and Surface RT goes away inside this 2013 calender year and it all gets charged to being on Ballmer's watch so the newly hired CEO can start fresh and be held accountable only for his own performance in 2014, good or bad.   One pundit theorizes that a CEO canidate made it a condition of taking the job, not being held responsible in 2014 for any of Ballmer's BS that is.

So Surface has been marked down to 1/3 the original sales price with a free cover and you can buy a Windows 8 laptop or PC for less than $300.

Hey, they might have finally gotten them down to a "reasonable price" and may actually sell some of them.  

Watch the price and for the additional markdowns when the units go to Computell, CompuAdd, NewEgg, etc. etc. to be moved as overstock and factory refurbished.  This will happen soon if the "condition of taking the job" theory is correct.  

Don't buy Surface RT anything for any price unless somebody figures out a way to UNLOCK the machines so other OS's can be loaded on the machines.  

Supposedly there is a class action or two in the works as MS locking the hardware down physically and not telling potential customers about it is NOT playing well in California and several other states.    "False Advertising" has already been charged on RT units and damages were awarded (MS will take the units back within the first 90 days for a 100% refund), so likely MS will lose on the lock down class actions as well.

How the heck MS can claim to be "open source" while still peddling totally locked down hardware is beyond my imagination .....  MS has some real challenges to overcome in 2014.

I suspect MS will be forced to provide a way to unlock the Surface RT machines once a court order forces them to do that -- but remember, it wasn't anything they did voluntarily no matter what they may say later on.  

If it had been voluntary, they would have already done it.

« Last Edit: 09/02/13 at 08:28:02 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: New $$ Umpteen Million Dollar Microsoft Write
Reply #1 - 09/02/13 at 08:16:39

OF, you seem to really know your PC stuff. Do you by any chance do digital cameras too? I bet you could do wonders on editing them (pictures) I've seen some outstanding results from just ordinary compositions by those who grasp and expand the possibilities of editing software.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 09/02/13 at 08:24:10

They teach digital editing as a ART Major at the university I work at -- and yes what they can do with pics is amazing.

If I can take 4-5 shots with my old 300 megapixel Fuji FinePics camera and get just one of them to turn out really nice I am a happy camper.

Biggest issue I have is fighting the auto-focus and with unintentional camera movement (my old camera doesn't really help you out much with that).

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 09/02/13 at 09:54:18

I like my F700 Fuji Finepix, it takes outstanding pics! But your right about the auto focus, espescially  when you are trying to do macro or super macro shots and a leaf, hair or branch gets in front of your auto focus infra detector.

I have some really good shots from a few years ago when I got the camera, I was exploring macro shots...nevermind.... i'm thread jumping....should we start a "Café personal pics thread?"

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 09/02/13 at 12:08:20

old_rider wrote on 09/02/13 at 09:54:18:
I like my F700 Fuji Finepix, it takes outstanding pics! But your right about the auto focus, espescially  when you are trying to do macro or super macro shots and a leaf, hair or branch gets in front of your auto focus infra detector.

I have some really good shots from a few years ago when I got the camera, I was exploring macro shots...nevermind.... i'm thread jumping....should we start a "Café personal pics thread?"

That was my first sorta bridge camera too, and I got some wonderful shots with it. I bought mine about 2 years or so after it debut, but the write ups on the camera gave it raves for color, etc....yes, it was slower than molasses but on a tripod doing landscapes, who cares  Kiss

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 09/02/13 at 12:56:38

The trick or cheat I like to use with the FinePix is to look carefully at the shot I am trying to take and decide which separate element I want to really be in tight focus, then I move the camera so that element is in the center of the expanded focus square.

I then push the shutter button to half down to get the auto-focus to focus on the desired element, then after the square shrinks on the desired element (to tell me the auto-focus is complete) I hold the shutter where it is at half down and then move the camera to reframe the shot to take in all the stuff I wanted in the first place.

My focus element may be way off to the side in the finished shot, but it is always in tight focus with everything else being what varies slightly focus-wise.

I developed this trick to take pictures of rifling irregularities & pitting inside a barrel, about 3-4 inches deep inside the barrel.    

I'd stick a cleaning rod up from the breech end, stopping it where the rifling irregularity was depth-wise, get the camera to auto-focus on the end of the cleaning rod, then slide the cleaning rod out with my toes so the light being bounced in from the breech could get all the way up the barrel.

It was awkward and took a try or five to get it right, but it worked and everyone was amazed you could take bore pics like that without a digital bore scope.

The motorized lens 3.0 megapixel 300 FinePix was a moderately expensive camera for its day, but I bought mine on close out for cheap after the higher pixel camera sensors took over and the motorized lenses went away.   I still like it, although it is a little beat up from being carried on motorcycle trips and all.

I also like that the standard 3.0 megapixel resolution makes a pic that fits on a forum page naturally, as all the newer cameras take a natural pic that are way way way too huge to use without resizing.

Smiley

As far as "getting off topic" goes, this is the Cafe --- no thread stays on topic more than 5-6 posts deep in Cafe anyway.

If I wanted to bring it back on topic, I'd say that most of the cameras on most modern smart phones are much more powerful now than my old Fuji FinePix F300 camera.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 09/02/13 at 20:15:04

Ok, what about an "amateur photog" post? LOL, i'd like to post a few of mine... and just talking about it has gotten the button finger itchin' fer a few new shotslll

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:26:01

General CategoryThe Cafe › New $$ Umpteen Million Dollar Microsoft Write Off

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.