Send Topic Print
Turn signal (Read 92 times)
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Turn signal
09/01/13 at 21:37:41

When you're sitting at left turn lane and the signal won't change.. So this was a problem when I had the Daytona and ZX-6 but seems to be giving me even more trouble with this bike..

What are some of you all done to get the light to turn without other cars? I've read online that putting magnets under your bike/shoe helps? Also manipulating the sensors.. Still doesnt really work for me here.. Undecided

2007 S-40: Dyna Muffler, Raptor, K&N Air Filter, everything else stock
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Turn signal
Reply #1 - 09/01/13 at 23:28:45

there's a little less metal in our single then a twin so it has a harder time being picked up by iffy sensors.

a few have added magnets to the bottom to help out, but I think you'll get mixed results.
there's one guy that added a magnet to the bottom of his kickstand that'll pick up a sledge hammer.

most places will allow you to blow off a signal if it blows you off too.
of course this varies, so look up your own laws.  some require that you complain to the local authority.  the way signals are now, they should be sensitive to a bicycle.

put your rim on the sensor and try to get your case over it too.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #2 - 09/02/13 at 04:31:46

This works well unless they have paved over the sensor and there's now 2 inches of pavement there and no visible lines.  Then you just kind of have to guess. I have heard of no tricks for the radar operated sensors to get them to trip.

Until last year, in SC we were legally required to sit there forever waiting on the signal.  Now we can treat it as a stop sign after giving it 2 minutes to change. Seems about half of them in my town won't trip with my bike.  Many more won't trip with my moped.

If the road is busy enough and there's room, pull up a little too far and let the car behind you creep up over the back of the sensors.  Just make sure there's enough room to do it safely.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #3 - 09/02/13 at 10:24:08

Down here in FL. if the signal cycles twice without picking up your vehicle, be it motorcycle or car, you can treat it as a "stop sign". If you are worried about it, stop a police officer of some sort, state, county or local will know the law and would more than likely fill you in on what they would do if they seen you "run the left turn red light".

More often than not, I would say it would all rely on how you treated or responded to the officer who stopped you after you had to run the left signal no go.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 09/02/13 at 11:34:26

Couple of intersections near me where the light won't change unless there's a car sitting on the sensor. I got no idea what the law is around here. So I just look around real careful like for a cop, and then I just run the doggone light as soon as it's safe Wink

IP Logged
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Reply #5 - 09/02/13 at 21:10:35

I've been taking only right turns like FedEx/UPS drivers.  Tongue I should've asked at the ERC and see if the instructors know the local laws on it.

On a separate note, where do you all stand on the "bike wave" to sport bike or Harley riders? Waved to few guys on GSXR and CBR and didn't get a wave back.  Do you all wave to all bikes? I do it for biker camaraderie.

2007 S-40: Dyna Muffler, Raptor, K&N Air Filter, everything else stock
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #6 - 09/02/13 at 21:47:48

Hashed out a lot, the wave...... some do it, some don't, some get waved at, some don't. Guess it all depends on the rider and the day and the mood.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #7 - 09/03/13 at 07:40:30

Quote:
On a separate note, where do you all stand on the "bike wave" to sport bike or Harley riders? Waved to few guys on GSXR and CBR and didn't get a wave back.  Do you all wave to all bikes? I do it for biker camaraderie.

I wave to anyone on anything with two(or even three) wheels and a motor. Most wave back.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/03/13 at 08:20:53

Remember, crotch rocket riders are using their arms to hold themselves up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:33:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › Turn signal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.