Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
bike keeps dying (Read 198 times)
sarahkhas
YaBB Newbies

colorado
bike keeps dying
08/27/13 at 15:11:32

hi!  i am in a pickle.  sarah from denver here.  i just took a trip up to breckenridge (10,000 ft) and since i got here my bike keeps dying when i idle or slow down.  now i am not sure if i can make it home with my bike acting like this.  i have my clymer manual with me, the only thing i can think to do is adjust the idle until i get home but i can't get it to idle to adjust it. i tried the choke too (never had to use it before) but it didn't help. i bought the bike this summer, the only work i have done so far is change the oil and check the air filter.  it has run great all summer but i have kept it in denver driving around the city and surrounding areas, this is the first high altitude trip.  i am supposed to head home tomorrow.  any ideas? any help would be great, thanks in advance, a little worried here   Embarrassed  

the world is my oyster and the road is my throne...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: bike keeps dying
Reply #1 - 08/27/13 at 16:13:50

Try the petcock on prime Sarah.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 08/27/13 at 16:26:40

Try turning the idle screw clockwise 1/4 turn before you start the bike, adjust accordingly. Pull the choke out full to start it and put it in 1/2 way after it fires up, for a few seconds. Hit the throttle a bit after pushing it in. At this point I would go for the higher idle until you get back down to earth.

If switching to prime, don't forget to switch back to "run" after shutting down or you may get gas in your oil.

High altitude messes with our carbs jet settings which balances our  air/fuel mixture at sea level, which is thrown off by the thin air up there.

Bump this thread to the top, hopefully one of our more experienced members will add something to the mix. I'm sure adjusting the air/fuel mixture may help, but I'll leave that to more experienced hands.

Good luck.

FSO
  IP Logged
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Reply #3 - 08/27/13 at 16:28:03

Hmmm... Sadly I have no suggestions Sarah but I'm also in Denver and this past weekend I took my Savage (or S40 but same difference) up to Rocky Mountain National Park, through trail ridge road (12,000 feet) around through Granby, Winter Park, and back to Denver.

No problems.  I didn't stay anywhere for long though, so maybe that makes all the difference but I just thought I'd share my experience with a bike whose carbs are used to Denver's altitude and who just drove to similar and higher elevations... for what it's worth.  At least you know it should be possible for the Savage to handle it.

2009 Red/White S40, Pirelli MT66 Tires, Corbin Seat, Dyna Exhaust, Routy Forward Controls
  IP Logged
sarahkhas
YaBB Newbies

colorado
Reply #4 - 08/27/13 at 16:53:17

hi!

toesnose, turning it on prime worked.  so i am guessing the petcock is bad.  can i run it on prime until i replace the petcock?

photojoe, i adjusted the idle too, it sounds better. i'll make sure the rpms are right when i get home.

deejaysham, we should start a newbie club in denver!  glad you got to take a mountain trip with no issues Smiley

ONCE AGAIN, THANKS TO EVERYONE BUNCHES AND BUNCHES!!! i am a newbie determined to work on my bike myself, this community is so helpful!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 08/27/13 at 16:55:35

I live at about 1800 feet above sea level. Before my (box stock) S40 got totalled, I drove it up Mount Evans and across Trail Ridge Road. It never missed a beat. I stopped and restarted it as occasion required, and never used the enricher (choke). Never took the petcock out of ON, either. Nor did I adjust the idle. The bike simply ran as if it didn't know any better.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/27/13 at 17:27:27

high altitude makes the carb run Rich
Running with the choke out will just make it worse.
Glad it was an easy fix. Could be a bad vac line.

WWW   IP Logged
sarahkhas
YaBB Newbies

colorado
Reply #7 - 08/27/13 at 17:31:34

hi verslagen!

i'll check that too when i get home.  thanks!  Cheesy

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #8 - 08/27/13 at 18:16:30

When you are home Sarahkhas, go to the tech section, table of contents and links and scroll to petcock and click on test your petcock, don't just turn it to prime. If the petcock fails this test and you Raptorise make sure you get a 5/16"outlet Raptor. Then go back to the tech section and click on txsizzlrs post on how to replace the petcock. This is right at the top of the tech section.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
deejaysham

Have fun, don't get
hurt

Reply #9 - 08/27/13 at 21:45:46

sarahkhas wrote on 08/27/13 at 16:53:17:
deejaysham, we should start a newbie club in denver!  glad you got to take a mountain trip with no issues Smiley

Totally!  S40 newbs unite! We could be some kind of biker gang that rides out to mountain twisties but then carefully obeys suggested MPH warning signage for sharp curves!

2009 Red/White S40, Pirelli MT66 Tires, Corbin Seat, Dyna Exhaust, Routy Forward Controls
  IP Logged
sarahkhas
YaBB Newbies

colorado
Reply #10 - 08/31/13 at 12:56:29

thanks jcstokes once again!  will do.  i was supposed to take her on another trip i just got back from, hard to see all the bikes on the mountain roads and me in my car, but better safe than sorry, always! deejaysham- the cripple creek ride would be great on a bike (where i just got back from)- more of a gradual climb with awesome views!

thanks again everyone, i know i post repeat questions but there is sooo much information here i get a bit overwhelmed. soon enough i will be as bada** as the rest of ya  Cheesy

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 09/01/13 at 08:54:46

Sarah, welcome! and by turning the petcock to "prime" you can run out of gas with no notice and not have any in "reserve", keep an eye on your odometer and fill up at 100 mile incremements to insure you won't run out of gas!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
sarahkhas
YaBB Newbies

colorado
Reply #12 - 09/10/13 at 19:49:00

Hi all!  I FINALLY had some spare time today to try the petcock test.  I am having trouble getting the vaccuum line off the carb- it seems really stuck.  I bent back the wire clamp (forgot the name of those) and pulled pretty hard to no avail.  Being a newbie I don't want to mess this up, is there some way to loosen the vaccuum line? Or should I just muscle it until it comes off?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 09/10/13 at 20:22:30

just grab it with pair of pliers around where it's mounted and twist it til it breaks loose from the nipple, then pull off.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 09/11/13 at 03:50:44

Yea,,  dont grip it too hard, just wanna spin it & break the thing loose, then itll pull  right off.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 12:27:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › bike keeps dying

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.