Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
One RYCA Double Build Sorta Dead (Read 87 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
One RYCA Double Build Sorta Dead
08/25/13 at 06:53:07

My buddy Jud's RYCA won't run.

I was at his place yesterday, but only had about 20 minutes to look at it before I had to leave.

Here's what I know:
-- The bike ran fine for months until he was riding it on a bumpy road when he hit a good bump and the motor stopped all of a sudden.  The fire went out and he coasted to a stop with the motor turning over fine, slowing the bike down, but not making any noise or power.
-- When the ignition switch is turned on, the lights come on, the turn signals and brake lights work, but nothing happens when the starter button is pushed.  Not even a click.
-- The battery is new and shows 12.7v.
-- The bike has been sitting now for a few weeks.
 -- With the ignition switch on, there is 12v at the starter switch, and at the orange/black wire at the connector for the regulator/rectifier.
-- The sidestand switch, and the clutch switch have been bypassed with jumpers.  I haven't checked yet to see if one of these "jumps" is the problem.

I'll get over there next week and start digging into it further, but I'm hoping some of you might have ideas.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: One RYCA Double Build Sorta Dead
Reply #1 - 08/25/13 at 10:01:55

Gyrobob wrote on 08/25/13 at 06:53:07:
-- The bike ran fine for months until he was riding it on a bumpy road when he hit a good bump and the motor stopped all of a sudden.  The fire went out and he coasted to a stop with the motor turning over fine, slowing the bike down, but not making any noise or power.

Good, more or less running fine prior to trouble
Quote:
-- When the ignition switch is turned on, the lights come on, the turn signals and brake lights work, but nothing happens when the starter button is pushed.  Not even a click.
so whatever it is, it prior to the decomp box, or did you convert to manual?
Quote:
  -- With the ignition switch on, there is 12v at the starter switch, and at the orange/black wire at the connector for the regulator/rectifier.

I'd start by checking the connectors and wiring.  did you check the fuses?
the connectors are not that secure, I got one that's not tight, but still manages to pull loose every couple of months resulting in no start.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: One RYCA Double Build Sorta Dead
Reply #2 - 08/25/13 at 14:39:49

verslagen1 wrote on 08/25/13 at 10:01:55:
Gyrobob wrote on 08/25/13 at 06:53:07:

Good, more or less running fine prior to trouble
Quote:
so whatever it is, it prior to the decomp box, or did you convert to manual?
Quote:

I'd start by checking the connectors and wiring.  did you check the fuses?
the connectors are not that secure, I got one that's not tight, but still manages to pull loose every couple of months resulting in no start.

The bike was converted to the RYCA linkage for decompression.  The decomp solenoid was taken out.

Here's a pic of the change in the wiring diagram near the decomp controller:

One of the fuses is not used in the RYCA wiring set up.  The fuses are fine, anyway.  They look okay, and the lights work with the ign switch on.

Yes, a connector check will be one of the very next things to do..  A connector that let go would be one of the things that would cause the fire to go out like that all of a sudden with no warning.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/08/24 at 10:51:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › One RYCA Double Build Sorta Dead

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.