having problems again (Read 72 times)
bdrums71
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

new jersey
having problems again
08/18/13 at 18:09:57

hey guys, i swapped out my vac petcock for the raptor about ten days ago. ( thanks everyone who helped me diagnose that problem) everything has been working pretty good but theres something bothering me. about four days ago i went for a normal ride about fifteen minutes in my bike starts jerking and stalls. check the gas, surprise, i have 2/3 of a tank. i wait five minutes and the bike starts back up. two minutes later im at a red light and when it turns green and i go to take off the bike starts back firing like crazy, it was like being at the shooting range. the bike stalls and within five mins its back up again acting fine. its been acting perfect for the last couple day until it stalled on me today, just cruising down the road doing about 40mph the bike starts jerking back and forth subtly but i could tell it didnt feel right, as i slowed down to pull over the bike starting backfiring like crazy again and shut off, plenty of gas in it, waited five mins and turned it on, it seemed fine but i came right home. does anyone know what might be causing this, id love to take my bike down the shore but im scared im going to get stranded on the side of the highway. lol i just want to enjoy a nice long worry free ride. if anyone can help id really appreciate it, thanks again guys Wink

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: having problems again
Reply #1 - 08/19/13 at 01:41:37

When you took the old petcock off did you find a lot of trash in the tank?

Look at those fuel hoses, looking for a tight bend that has gone kinked on you and is restricting your fuel flow.

See if your gas cap has been holding a vacuum instead of letting air into the tank to replace the gasoline used (pop the cap and only put it on loosely).

Pull the hose from the carb nipple, turn the gas on and off with the petcock and look for a clean full flow of fuel from the hose.

Wink   We had one dude that didn't take off the clear plastic "shipping protector" tubing sleeves from over the fragile screen sections on his new petcock, he thought they belonged on there and he bolted it up that way .....   Wink

===========

If none of these, take your carb off and clean it and report what you find inside.

« Last Edit: 08/19/13 at 03:07:58 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 08/19/13 at 04:13:03

You did plug the vacuum port on the carb after installing the Raptor, didn't you?

Did you do any other mods/upgrades when you installed the Raptor or recently, say a cone filter or anything of the sort?  
Did you fill up after that, could be good old water in the gas too   Angry

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #3 - 08/19/13 at 05:58:09

I was having a similar problem my tank would get low it would start hesitating then shut off it wouldn't run on the reserve, my issue was either a bad inline fuel filter or the way I ran my fuel lines.  I ended up buying one of those bigger inline Fram filters and running longer fuel line to minimize the bends.

IP Logged
bdrums71
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

new jersey
Reply #4 - 08/19/13 at 11:37:55

hey guys thanks for your input.
the tank seems to be pretty clean, for what i can see there is no rust or debris on the inside or floating around in the gas, even the filter on my stock petcock seemed pretty clean when i made the swap, the fuel flow seems to be normal its coming out fine and the vac port is plugged up nice and tight. the fuel line also has no kinks or crimps in it so i dont think the fuel is being obstructed in anyway.
@ oldfeller- what knd of reaction will my bike have if the tank is holding a vacuum, how do i tell if thats the problem?
also, i do have a cone filter and aftermarket exhaist on the bike (bought it that way)
thanks again guys, you're always a big help Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:36:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › having problems again

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.