Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
List your petcock/shifter failures HERE please (Read 403 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: List your petcock/shifter failures HERE please
Reply #30 - 05/27/14 at 03:53:03

doh13 wrote on 05/26/14 at 11:28:47:
Now i haven't had the bike running yet but I noticed that the shifter linkage has a funny feel to it almost "grindy" when moving it back and forth (not far enough to shift)  i greased up all of the linkage and was thinking maybe theres grit in the linkage somewhere.
Now i am paranoid about the shift linkage breaking  as it seems to be common....

You should take the shift pedal off, and clean the shaft and bushings....then grease them.  The shift rod bending and eventually braking does happen - but it is not a high percentage of the bikes.  Mostly from folks that get too aggressive with stomping on the pedal.  As Verslagen mentioned - if the bike does not want to shift when stopped just rock the bike forward or backward a touch - the transmission dogs will not engage if they are not lined up and a little rocking will get them to engage.  Stomping on the pedal to get the bike into 1st gear is not a good habit to develope.......it can bend the shift linkage.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
eruby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Upstate South Carolina, USA
Reply #31 - 05/27/14 at 06:52:50

2000 Savage with 5,000 miles:

Fuel in airbox, sputter and backfire with no power - Changed to Raptor Petcock. Problem fixed

Noticed my left toe was not in same physical location. Looked and shift linkage was bent. Tried to straighten with BA screwdriver. Need alternate fix. I believe I did this myself by just stepping down on the shifter when a light turns green just to make sure I was in 1st. The linkage looks very flimsy. I am now a gentler shifter Smiley

2000 Savage
Raptor Petcock Upgrade
#7 Stopper Seat Lift
Otherwise Stock
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #32 - 05/27/14 at 09:40:59

eruby wrote on 05/27/14 at 06:52:50:
I believe I did this myself by just stepping down on the shifter when a light turns green just to make sure I was in 1st. The linkage looks very flimsy. I am now a gentler shifter Smiley

When you bounce a boot on the long shift lever...the force is amplified a bunch by the time it reaches the very short lever on the other side from your toe (it is a leverage thng).  Maybe we should consider the flimsy rod to be a blessing - it bends before the excess force has a chance to get inside the gearbox and break things.

I know several have talked about making stronger shift rods to bolt on.....I am not sure that is a good idea?

Dave

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:15:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › List your petcock/shifter failures HERE please

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.