Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Saddlebags (Read 242 times)
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Saddlebags
05/17/14 at 22:25:33

I've got some saddlebags but they are too large and push against the turn signals and are touching the shocks.  

Anyone have any suggestions for some saddlebags for a Savage?

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Re: Saddlebags
Reply #1 - 05/18/14 at 05:26:32

Beagle wrote on 05/17/14 at 22:25:33:
I've got some saddlebags but they are too large and push against the turn signals and are touching the shocks.  

Almost any bags that are big enough to actually be useful are going to require the turn signals to be relocated rearward. You are also likely to need some kind of supports to keep the bags away from the shocks, wheel etc.

I have the oem Suzuki bags, and they just fit without moving the turn signals. But those bags are really small. They are OK for odds and ends, but if you are looking for touring bags they are not very useful.

This is not my bike ,but these are the bags I'm talking about. Even as small as these are they still are right up against the turn signals.

http://p1.bikepics.com/2008%5C09%5C15%5Cbikepics-1418648-full.jpg

There are a couple of links in the tech section about relocating the signals. If you like the bags you've got my advice would be to look into that option. There is also a link about making inexpensive supports.

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #2 - 05/18/14 at 17:36:52

oldNslow wrote on 05/18/14 at 05:26:32:
Beagle wrote on 05/17/14 at 22:25:33:

Almost any bags that are big enough to actually be useful are going to require the turn signals to be relocated rearward. You are also likely to need some kind of supports to keep the bags away from the shocks, wheel etc.

I have the oem Suzuki bags, and they just fit without moving the turn signals. But those bags are really small. They are OK for odds and ends, but if you are looking for touring bags they are not very useful.

This is not my bike ,but these are the bags I'm talking about. Even as small as these are they still are right up against the turn signals.

http://p1.bikepics.com/2008%5C09%5C15%5Cbikepics-1418648-full.jpg

There are a couple of links in the tech section about relocating the signals. If you like the bags you've got my advice would be to look into that option. There is also a link about making inexpensive supports.

I only used my saddlebags to carry stuff in case I ever broke down somewhere (raincoat, backpack, tools, duct tape, battery charger, flashlight, etc.).  So, small ones would be fine for me!  I like to keep my bike as original as possible.  Smiley

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #3 - 05/18/14 at 17:45:51

OK, here's a question I get confused about when looking for saddlebags.  There is length, height and width on the size.  Height, I get from top to bottom when they are installed on the bike.

Now the length and the width part I get confused on (I know, what a noob!)  

Is the length, the size from right to left (or left to right), once the bags are installed on the bike?

I'm confused!

IP Logged
MileHiRider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, Colorado
Reply #4 - 05/18/14 at 18:15:21

I just put saddlebags on my '04 Savage. I looked long and hard for
bags that would work on a small bike.
I bought Carroll Leather, 11" X 11" X 4" straight bags from Amazon, I
also bought bag stand-offs from ebay.
The bags JUST fit between the shocks and rear turn signals. They look
and work great, I don't need a lot of storage and think large bags don't
look the best on a small motorcycle.
                             Hope this helps...

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #5 - 05/18/14 at 22:26:21

Beagle wrote on 05/18/14 at 17:45:51:
OK, here's a question I get confused about when looking for saddlebags.  There is length, height and width on the size.  Height, I get from top to bottom when they are installed on the bike.

Now the length and the width part I get confused on (I know, what a noob!)  

Is the length, the size from right to left (or left to right), once the bags are installed on the bike?

I'm confused!

This should help.

http://www.chilhowee.net/saddlebag_measurement.html

Good luck!

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #6 - 05/19/14 at 12:06:57

Make sure to sit on the bike when you measure unless you have hardtail cuz shocks travel. I burnt the bottom of a bag like that.

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #7 - 05/19/14 at 13:52:53

Arnold wrote on 05/19/14 at 12:06:57:
Make sure to sit on the bike when you measure unless you have hardtail cuz shocks travel. I burnt the bottom of a bag like that.

Good advice!  Thanks!

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #8 - 05/19/14 at 14:15:36

I always thought the bags i found were pretty dern PERFECT for the little Savage:

WD must not hate them. .as he is still using them. I can put a a full gal of milk in one side and a loaf of bread in the the other. DONE IT.

I also found a nice small bag ( I kept that one)  for the rack:

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #9 - 05/19/14 at 16:25:48

Pine,

Where'd you find those bags?  Looks like something I might be interested in getting.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 05/20/14 at 07:35:35

I deleted the busted up stock rear turn signals, replaced them with ones mounted on the back of the plate. Rehung the bags so the strapping is all under the seat or otherwise less visible. Tail bag for now is a Bell bicycle tool roll that is already fading.

When I get the taillight moved and the sissybar widened to mount up the studded out VN800A seat, I'll be switching to the studded, hard back, hard mounted bag set I used to run on the 98.

The bags are alright, not sure how you crammed a gallon of milk into one, a pair of my dress shoes maxes one side out, my raingear (too small, 2x, won't fit over my leathers) or a leather night riding jacket the other. I do like the fact the they are coolers instead of shapeless nylon.

I also turned them around so the pockets are at the back.

I would like to over sew reflective material in the center band on both of them. Memphis "drivers" honestly can't...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #11 - 05/21/14 at 06:36:49

These just fit my bike, though I did glue some plywood to the stock saddle bag supports to make sure they didn't rub against the shocks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001W8TN34/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF...

They are quite roomy and well made, but not waterproof.

- David
  IP Logged
running-it-stock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/21/14 at 23:12:30

Most of the above saddlebags are far too small for groceries or a long trip. I used River Road saddle bags on a trip and then switched to Shoei hard cases. Pictures below from a trip a couple years ago. I got a few days of food,water, emergency tools. and a orange bottle full of gas (1st pic). The River road have a higher load capacity. Overdid the pack the 1st time (2nd pic).

In response to moving the turn signals, they fit nicely underneath the cover on the river road, but you must be careful with them. They don't touch on the Shoei.

« Last Edit: 05/22/14 at 09:28:21 by running-it-stock »  

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #13 - 05/22/14 at 08:41:21

my o6 came new with oem bags got a full refund cause they tore at the hinge point
have had river road slant bags since
hard mounted to oem supports thru thin plywood on the inside

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Beagle

1998 Suzuki Savage

Ohio
Reply #14 - 05/27/14 at 12:22:29

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print