Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
List your petcock/shifter failures HERE please (Read 403 times)
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: List your petcock/shifter failures HERE please
Reply #15 - 08/20/13 at 05:27:58

Crashes? Not that I can recall.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #16 - 08/22/13 at 20:10:59

My OEM petcock started misbehaving on my 2001 Savage in 2006, when I had about 6000 miles on it.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1152108113/0

Bike was running rich under some conditions, which indicated to me that fuel was leaking into the vacuum line and on into the intake manifold.  No visible fuel in said vacuum line, but could smell a faint odor of gasoline in there.  Found some raw gasoline in the airbox's drain tube, though, about 1/2 ounce.

Ran in PRIME successfully with no problems for several years before switching to a Raptor.

« Last Edit: 08/23/13 at 19:11:53 by Digger »  

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #17 - 08/23/13 at 04:24:58

Petcock failed at just over 23,000 miles (26 years old).  No visible leaks.  No leak in vacuum hose unless engine running.  When running at idle, sloppy rich and stalling, bucking and jerking at low speeds.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #18 - 08/23/13 at 16:26:46

Mine was failed at 7400 miles when I bought it. First time I got a little froggy with the throttle and ran up through the gears it quit. Raptored awhile later after seeing it on here. No problems except let gas go bad once and had to drain, put on filter and refill.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #19 - 08/23/13 at 18:51:18

2001 Savage
Replaced petcock with raptor at 4000 miles
Had problems with fuel delivery/starvation in stop/go city traffic
Delivery was also insufficient at sustained highway speeds.  Both cases caused dying.

My dad's bike:
2007 S40
Shift lever bent severely at 2500 miles.

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
PMo85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso,Tx
Reply #20 - 05/25/14 at 21:18:50

My shift link broke on my 2013 today going from neutral into 1st after backing out of a friends driveway

Only 4700 miles on the bike

2013 S40, K&N Air Filter, NGK Iridium Spark Plug, Motul 4T 300V Double Ester Oil 10W40, K&N Oil Filter, Dyna Muffler, 6 Sigma Jet Kit
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 05/25/14 at 21:23:01

Have you had problems getting into first gear?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PMo85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso,Tx
Reply #22 - 05/25/14 at 21:59:35

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/25/14 at 21:23:01:
Have you had problems getting into first gear?

I have for a little while. It also felt like it wouldn't go all the way into 5th. Like it only went up 1/4 of the way

2013 S40, K&N Air Filter, NGK Iridium Spark Plug, Motul 4T 300V Double Ester Oil 10W40, K&N Oil Filter, Dyna Muffler, 6 Sigma Jet Kit
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 05/25/14 at 22:09:45

any bend in the rod will cause it to fail in time.

when shifting, don't force it, you can damage the shifting forks and that'll be it.

If you're having trouble shifting while moving, apply pressure in the way you want to shift and let out the clutch slowly, it'll pop into gear.

When stopped, you can do the same thing or rock the bike back and forth.

trouble shifting some times indicates it's time to change the oil.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #24 - 05/25/14 at 23:27:49

verslagen1 wrote on 05/25/14 at 22:09:45:
any bend in the rod will cause it to fail in time.

when shifting, don't force it, you can damage the shifting forks and that'll be it.

If you're having trouble shifting while moving, apply pressure in the way you want to shift and let out the clutch slowly, it'll pop into gear.

When stopped, you can do the same thing or rock the bike back and forth.

trouble shifting NORMALLY/USUALLYindicates it's time to change the oil.

I've had my 2003 for about a month and a half and right at 2100 miles. Time for oil change #3 to finish flushing out the T6 dregs from the clutch pack...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Bluesman

Jack of many trades

Malmö, Sweden
Reply #25 - 05/26/14 at 09:12:53

1997, 16000km, erratic running, shifted to non-Yamaha "Raptor" petcock. Cool - problem solved. No issues with the shifter - yet - but thanks for the heads-up.

Cheers /Richard
  IP Logged
PMo85
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso,Tx
Reply #26 - 05/26/14 at 10:04:06

It must have been that the rod was bent because I am religious about changing my oil. I change it every 800-900 miles

Good thing is I've got so e of Mule's forward controls coming to me so I'll replace it all in one shot  Cool

Thank you gentlemen

IP Logged
doh13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NS CANADA
Reply #27 - 05/26/14 at 11:28:47

I am in the process of getting a neglected 99 savage with 1400 miles running (waiting on carb Float) from reading this forum and its wealth of good info I decided to order the raptor petcock right away and not worry about having petcock issues. Now i haven't had the bike running yet but I noticed that the shifter linkage has a funny feel to it almost "grindy" when moving it back and forth (not far enough to shift)  i greased up all of the linkage and was thinking maybe theres grit in the linkage somewhere.
Now i am paranoid about the shift linkage breaking  as it seems to be common..  is the "grindy" feeling shifter common the bike hasn't been started yet and hasn't ran in over 7 years which could be causing the grindy feel?

Lastly Why the heck hasn't Suzuki Been on this forum  listening to these common problems with the bike informed owners have had to fix themselfs  that could cause serious accidents and or motor damage and should be  low cost for them to fix for future models..

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #28 - 05/27/14 at 00:17:27

They've known since at least late 1998. They just don't care, the Savage is their "loss leader" entry level beater street bike. They literally used to send out 2 per dealership, whether the bikes were wanted or not.  I know a local to me dealership that has brand new still in the crate 1990s reintroduction and newer Savages/S40s stacked up outside. He puts them in an unlit, poorly secured part of his property and hopes the scrappers will steal them. He absolutely LOATHES the model, won't even sell replacement parts for them. If you show up on one you are told to leave and never darken his door again.

The owner's manual for my 1998 gave a projected service life of 5 years... and that was for sunny weekend summer barhopping type use. Very low mileage service life expected.

Suzuki makes it money off C50 and GSXR sales, the rest of the line is just "fluff" or window dressing. The LC1500 was a spectacular flop, the VS series looked like something from bad anime movies, and the bikes that truly ran right (1500/1600 Marauders) were rebadged Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streaks with ugly headlights swapped on...

The Savage is an easily defused ticking time bomb. WE have worked out most of the design flaws. In the words of the late lamented Iron Horse Magazine... "F*** the Factory"...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #29 - 05/27/14 at 03:19:12

2006 LS650 Savage converted to Raptor petcock at 6,000 miles to solve fuel delivery problems.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:21:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › List your petcock/shifter failures HERE please

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.