Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
halogen headlight or no? (Read 118 times)
45acp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

on a shooting range in OK.
halogen headlight or no?
08/15/13 at 20:06:14

its time to replace my front headlight on my 2004 savage. the headlight bucket was broke when i bought the bike. now its just barely holding on. i have been looking at different lights and saw some that were halogen. i was wondering if anybody has had any experience with halogen lights, or if i should just stick with a plain old bulb light.  im going to build a bracket to mount a harley style light, so im not really limited on mounting options just dont know if halogen would be okay or not. dont want to melt any wires.

shoot fast. reload faster.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: halogen headlight or no?
Reply #1 - 08/15/13 at 20:11:20

Stock H4 bulb is marketed as a halogen light. Stick with the same rating and it will be fine. You can upgrade to Silverstars or equivalent, but they don't last very well.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 08/16/13 at 18:12:27

I put a Sylvania bulb from WalMart for about $7. That was a couple of years ago and about 7,000 miles, I guess. Don't ride much at night, but it is brighter than stock.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
45acp

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

on a shooting range in OK.
Reply #3 - 08/16/13 at 19:22:41

thanks guys. guys im on the right track. now i just have to pick one out. so many choices Smiley

shoot fast. reload faster.
  IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #4 - 08/21/13 at 18:54:58

Halogen will pretty much be any tradition light bulb. If it can take a 55w halogen or something like that, you are fine for 95% of your junk. I wouldn't worry about your wires. Though I would run at least 18ga if not better.

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/22/13 at 03:43:43

The Savage charging system is marginal, and you cannot increase the wattage of the headlight bulb....there is very littel extra capacity in the system for normal riding.  There is no extra capacity if you make short rides, stop frequently while running errands, and use the starter a lot.

The stock headlight is 55 watt low beam, 65 watt high beam.  It is the standard wattage for the lights used in cars....and when you go to Walmart, Autozone, etc. that is the H4 light bullbs that will be hanging on the rack.  The Ultravision is a slight upgrade in whiteness and a bit brighter - and it is a long lasting bulb.  When you step up to the Silverstar you get a whiter light, the price doubles and the life is dramatically shorter.  Whereas stock bulbs can last for 10 years....most people get a year or less with the Silverstar.......we only go 9 months in my wife's VW but she drives 22,000 miles a year.

I have the Ultravision in my car as I drive 16,000 miles a year, and I have the Silverstar in my motorcycle as I drive it 4,000 miles a year.

Phillips now offers a Crystal Vision bulb in case you want the really bright white look.....no idea about life or what it costs.  It is 67/70 watt which is a few more watts.....but not so many that I would expect problems.
http://www.usa.philips.com/c/car-lamps/crystalvision-ultra-9003-12-v-67-60-w-...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 02:25:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › halogen headlight or no?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.