Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bike no start this a.m. (well, started once...) (Read 132 times)
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Bike no start this a.m. (well, started once...)
08/21/13 at 06:35:04

Argh, I can confirm that my 50+ y.o. @$$ was able to push my bike around while it was in neutral, having stopped at the service station near my home long enough to top off the tank this a.m.  I wound up pushing it home (thankfully not much more than about a quarter mile to half mile push)

When I first tried to start the bike this morning it wouldn't crank at all.  No click, click, click, no noise at all.  I wound up putting the bike into neutral, and was finally able to get it engage the starter and finally got it started.  Whee.  On my way, or so I thought.  Stopped to get fuel, tried to restart, nothing again, even when I put the bike in neutral.

I had electric as I could see the indicators, and see that the headlight was lit, etc., but the bike just wouldn't even try to start Sad

I suspected that it might be the kickstand switch, but tried flicking the kickstand a few times.  Next suspicion is that it is related to the clutch switch.  Reason for that suspicion is that I had cleaned the bike up a bit on the weekend and noticed that the boot from the clutch cable (up by the clutch handle) had slid down the cable considerably.  When I went to put that well worn (cracked and splitting) boot back up there it seemed that the nuts/dials on the clutch handle were perhaps loose.

Suggestions and/or recommendations before I wind up trailering the bike to the shop to get whatever the issue is fixed?  I would love to get it going again without needing to do that, but I also must admit to not being terribly mechanically inclined (actually, I'm pretty terrible when it comes to mechanical repairs, so that might not be the correct statement back there  Grin )

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Bike no start this a.m. (well, started once...
Reply #1 - 08/21/13 at 06:58:42

You first need to check the battery voltage and confirm it us above 12 volts.  Then make sure the neutral light functions.

Then bypass the clutch switch and see if it makes any difference.  If not you can also bypass the sidestand switch and see if that make any difference.  You know where the clutch safety can be bypassed....up at the switch.  The sidestand switch can be bypassed at a green connector that I believe is accessed from the left side, behind the painted side cover.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #2 - 08/21/13 at 07:09:17

Dave wrote on 08/21/13 at 06:58:42:
You first need to check the battery voltage and confirm it us above 12 volts.  Then make sure the neutral light functions.

Then bypass the clutch switch and see if it makes any difference.  If not you can also bypass the sidestand switch and see if that make any difference.  You know where the clutch safety can be bypassed....up at the switch.  The sidestand switch can be bypassed at a green connector that I believe is accessed from the left side, behind the painted side cover.  

Neutral indicator was definitely lit for me.

Would you have some tips on bypassing the clutch switch?  (How is that done??)

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/21/13 at 07:33:09

Just pull the connectors off the switch at the lever, then run a wire between the connectors to allow the electricity to flow.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #4 - 08/21/13 at 07:35:33

Dave wrote on 08/21/13 at 07:33:09:
Just pull the connectors off the switch at the lever, then run a wire between the connectors to allow the electricity to flow.

Got it, thanks!

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 08/21/13 at 07:50:50

For testing purposes even a paper clip will work, pull the ends straight, jam one end in each slot of the harness connector. If the bike then starts, you found the failure.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #6 - 08/21/13 at 08:13:28

WD wrote on 08/21/13 at 07:50:50:
For testing purposes even a paper clip will work, pull the ends straight, jam one end in each slot of the harness connector. If the bike then starts, you found the failure.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing this with a paperclip.  Just have to remember to take a couple home when I leave work today.  Smiley

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 08/21/13 at 09:52:37

Don't you cuss at us like that... work is a dirty word.  Wink

I've been enjoying my forced retirement (at 41), but I am trying to find an off farm job.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/21/13 at 10:17:03

Next time youre not sure if its gonna start, dont shut it    off sitting still,
Be runnin down the road at 50 or so, pull the clutch in, hit thekill,
'
fl;ip back to Run
KEEP CLUTCH IN
hit start,, Iffa she no a startuh,, letta loosa tha clutcha lever tilla the reara wheela startsa to turna,,Dont dump it, it mite slide out,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #9 - 08/21/13 at 15:29:13

Updating.  Got home from .... (I'll leave that word out Wink ) and put a paperclip into the clutch sensor/switch.  Paperclip got good and warm, but didn't have any impact on starting the bike Sad  Still no effort by the starter to do anything.

Horn is working.  Neutral light is showing up nicely.  Headlamp is lighting like it should.  Turn indicators working, etc., so doesn't seem to be electrical in terms of not enough battery life, though I suppose it still could be.

I'm wondering if the starter switch is hosed, but am not sure how to bypass that and get the starter to do anything.  Next round of tips welcomed.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 08/21/13 at 15:36:17

Pull your seat off. See the scaled down Ford ignition solenoid? Place a heavy screwdriver from big lug to big lug. If the engine spins, you have a low battery, shorted kickstand switch, or dead decompression solenoid relay. The DSR shouldn't technically keep it from trying to crank... but it did on mine.

All that electrical "safety and convenience" crap, is really just plain old crap.  Angry

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #11 - 08/21/13 at 15:41:52

Are you sure that your battery has enough juice to turn her over?  Trouble starting this morning it may have just had enough juice, then stopping after a short ride about 1/4 mile the battery would have drained more then charged which would have put it in a state to not turn her over.    Huh

As Dave eluded check the voltage!   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #12 - 08/21/13 at 17:01:55

Insert video/audio here of Hallelujah chorus.

Smiley

I did wind up taking the seat apart, chasing down a potential fuse replacement (I recall the father of the guy that sold the bike to me mentioning that he had to chase down a fuse to get the bike to run, so I assumed that it might be buried under the seat...)

I pulled the 20A white block out, disconnected it, reconnected it, and woohoo! ignition available again.

I did take advantage of the opportunity (since I had the seat off at that point, having gotten the starter to crank) to replace the ignition switch with the one that I had gotten off these forums a short while ago, so it was not a complete waste, though I remain irritated that I lost out on a day that I could have ridden to work and saved some $$ on fuel costs.

At least it is working again and now I know a good bit more about troubleshooting areas and how to get to some of the important parts of my bike.  (Man do I miss my old GS650's flip up seat and the easy access that it provided to things below. Tongue )

IP Logged
mjs3790225

Finally making a
presence!

Orlando, Fl
Reply #13 - 08/21/13 at 19:04:47

Was it a burnt out fuse? One time I had my ignition switch wires short out from abrasion or something. Fried a good bit of wiring. Would have been worse if the fuse didn't kick in.

Anyway, if it was blown, check your wire insulation and make sure nothing is melty.  Shocked

1996 LS650 - University of Central Florida

Complete: Raptor, Dyna, Carb rejet, Seat cover, Cam Chain, HID lamp, front pulley, plug leak

MPGs please
  IP Logged
terpfan1980

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Near DC
Reply #14 - 08/21/13 at 19:31:11

mjs3790225 wrote on 08/21/13 at 19:04:47:
Was it a burnt out fuse? One time I had my ignition switch wires short out from abrasion or something. Fried a good bit of wiring. Would have been worse if the fuse didn't kick in.

Anyway, if it was blown, check your wire insulation and make sure nothing is melty.  Shocked

Nothing burned out.  I think what happened is that I got things damp when I was cleaning the bike up over the weekend (with a little mild soap and water).  I didn't soak it, but definitely sprayed it a bit with the hose as I was washing off some accumulated dirt and such.  I suspect that some of the soapy water got down into where the fuse is and it affected things badly enough to not want to start.

We had some heavy t-storms blow through tonite and I left the bike uncovered trying to tempt the fates a little and see if the bike will start tomorrow when I hope to ride it to work.  (If I can't trust it when it gets wet then I have some work to do to resolve that issue)

In any case, I'm glad to have gotten it working again. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/08/24 at 16:20:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike no start this a.m. (well, started once...)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.