New gas tank? (Read 157 times)
Mordiem
YaBB Newbies

I JUST WANT IT TO
WORK!!!

Colorado Springs, CO
New gas tank?
08/14/13 at 09:41:19

Does anyone have a suggestion for a new gas tank? I'm looking for something with a higher fuel capacity than the stock 2.8 gal. I threw out the old one because while stripping the paint from it I found a BUNCH of bondo and about a 2" dent on the left side and didnt really want to deal with it. Im looking for really any kind of tank that will fit onto my 86'. while also working on an extremely tight budget.
thanks!

86' Savage
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: New gas tank?
Reply #1 - 08/14/13 at 10:06:49

Fitting a different tank onto a Savage is possible - but not easy.  There is no "bolt on" tank....most require lots of adapting of the mounts and even reshaping the tank tunnel to fit the frame, decompression solenoid, and engine.

If you want to do any riding soon....you should have kept your old tank while you work getting a new or different one.

Are you wanting to keep the stock "cruiser" look, or going Bobber, Cafe, Standard, etc.?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Mordiem
YaBB Newbies

I JUST WANT IT TO
WORK!!!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #2 - 08/14/13 at 10:13:53

I'm going for more of a bobber look

86' Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/14/13 at 11:33:17

Ya know,, You Coulda just rattle canned it up & been riding while ya hunt for a tank,.,
I NEVER throw anything away during a project. Only after its all together do the junk bits & pieces get tossed,, Learned a few painful lessons,, like, sometime ya just dont GET every bit of plumbing on a new water pump. If ya done ditched the old one,, well,, NOW waddya gonna do?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/14/13 at 11:53:09

I just saw your bike picture in the Introduce Yourself thread.  Ignore my comment about keeping your old tank and suggested you keep riding......I can see you have a lot of work to do.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 08/14/13 at 11:57:05

You might try looking at Intruder 800 or 1400 tanks... They are the closest relatives to our bike...
Probably not a direct swap though...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 08/14/13 at 13:02:19

Serowbot wrote on 08/14/13 at 11:57:05:
You might try looking at Intruder 800 or 1400 tanks... They are the closest relatives to our bike...
Probably not a direct swap though...

Not even close. Far too much modifying involved. The 800 petcock bolts to a stock LS tank though...

Easy fit to a Savage frame? Not with that stubby square backbone and the odd flare under the rear tank mount...

Any bike junkyards near you? Haul your bike there in the bed of your truck, start test fitting CB450-900 tanks, some are close enough to make work with some light underside hammer work. Same with KZ440 and larger Kawi tanks. And most GS Suzuki tanks.

Expect a migraine or two during the process, Suzuki did not design the bike for easy customization.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/14/13 at 16:58:28

Dave wrote on 08/14/13 at 11:53:09:
I just saw your bike picture in the Introduce Yourself thread.  Ignore my comment about keeping your old tank and suggested you keep riding......I can see you have a lot of work to do.

So, Daves post sent me lookin,, I missed what he said,,& Uhh,, put me down for
"Forget I said ANYthing"..Welcome aboard..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 - 08/14/13 at 18:24:49

Mordiem did you actually throw it away or just give up all hope of using it?  If you have it in the corner of the garage and have been throwing bricks at it, I'm looking for a crappy tank to cut the petcock holes and tank mount off of    Roll Eyes

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Mordiem
YaBB Newbies

I JUST WANT IT TO
WORK!!!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #9 - 08/15/13 at 06:04:24

Its actually gone. After about the first month of having the bike I was frustrated, and regretfully I completely threw it away. I'm not in a huge rush to find a new one. Like Dave said I still have a LONG way to go. This is my first time rebuilding a bike and I'm pretty much on my own in this so there is a lot of fumbling along the way. I'm actually on the verge of going on ebay and just trying to find a complete wire harness to save me that headache.

86' Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 04:26:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New gas tank?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.