Send Topic Print
Bye Bye First Amendment (Read 28 times)
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Bye Bye First Amendment
08/12/13 at 14:04:12

Imagine an America in which the government can deny protest in any public space it deems fit. Where wearing a dissenting shirt around an elected official could be construed as a felony. Where First-Amendment protections become privileges subjectively doled out by the state. Sadly, that America is pretty much here.

Last year, Congress passed HR 347, a bill that limits Americans' ability to protest in public and on government grounds. Mainstream media didn't raise peep, but now there's finally some anger building. The bill, passed almost unanimously, makes it a federal offense punishable by up to ten years in prison to "knowingly" protest in the vicinity of the Secret Service--that is anywhere the Secret Service "is or will be temporarily visiting."

It also makes many public events impervious to lawful protest. Any "National Security Special Event" (NSSE) requires Secret Service protection. NSSE-designated events have proliferated since 9/11 to include Super Bowls, concerts, campaign events, and now any public event that Very Important People want protest-free.

Most dangerously, it criminalizes protest. Under the bill, "disorderly or disruptive conduct" or activities that "impede or disrupt the orderly conduct of Government business or official functions" could warrant felony charges. What constitutes such "disruptive conduct" rests in the eye of the beholder--or the eye of Eric Holder. To put it plainly: the government can decide where and when free speech is allowed and severely prosecute any "disruptive" activity, while we're confined to "free speech zones." We can help fix it, however! Join our petition below to protect our speech rights!

PETITION TO CONGRESS: We treasure our first amendment rights of free speech and public assembly! HR 347 limits valid arenas of peaceful public protest, and broadens the government's ability to curtail civil liberties. We demand that Congress amend the bill to provide clearer language as to what constitutes "disruptions"; to allow for reasonable, peaceful protest at NSSEs and around Secret Service; and to ensure that no peaceful protest can ever be deemed a felony.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Re: Bye Bye First Amendment
Reply #1 - 08/12/13 at 14:48:55

http://www.snopes.com/politics/crime/restricted.asp

Depends on your view of the changes the bill put in place, per snopes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Special_Security_Event

I point to this merely to indicate the creation of NSSE's - May 1998.

I definitely believe that the US government has become "big brother" and see's no issue with removing individual rights for the sake of the government security. I also would find it plausible that "old" good intentions have been replaced with current abuse. But I don't see that as a dem or repug thing... both parties enjoy adding to the power of the federal government by diminishing the rights of the people.  On the flip side.. had such measure been place... could Kennedy have been spared?

Note that by looking at the creation of  NSSE and then looking at Bill 347... we see a manifestation of the "slippery slope".. that many like me fear and loath. NSSE in and of itself is not a bad thing. Bill 347 in and of itself is not a bad thing.. but combine them and abuse them... and well that can be a very bad thing.

As for me, I don't think Bill 347 needs fixing or repealing.. instead NSSE needs some rules applied:
DHS must get approval for creation of an NSSE from the local government.
NSSE areas must be pre-defined and limited in scope in writing with the local government
The local government should be able to:
a) either refuse the NSSE designation or
b) refuse event or
c) refuse that the event be covered by any media.. ie complete media blackout.
That last one is for sporting events and conventions .. either its open and public or its closed and no one will ever see. What it should not be is a government controlled media (propaganda) event.
Further NSSE events must have the extra expense paid for by the holder of the event. So if the super bowl is going to be NSSE.. then those that profit from the event .. can pay for the added government expense of it being NSSE. And especially party conventions!  

Anyway that's how dictator Pine would handle it....  Cool

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Bye Bye First Amendment
Reply #2 - 08/12/13 at 15:39:10

Scott walker - Wisconsin governor has been doing it for 2 years.
Pat McCrory NC governor is doing it since earlier this year. Its called moral mondays and he's been throwing people in jail ...

First amendment has been long used as toilet paper by republicans.

I guess for them the list of "good amendments" starts @ 2 and ends @ 10, with 4 and a couple others as optional ... just need 4-5 anyway they say ...

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 08:33:24

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Bye Bye First Amendment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.