This is for you Jog. (Read 39 times)
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
This is for you Jog.
08/09/13 at 13:48:16

Prisons

One would think it a worthy goal to rehabilitate prisoners and gradually empty the jails. But business is too good. With each prisoner generating up to $40,000 a year in revenue, it has apparently made economic sense to put over two million people behind bars.

The need to fill privatized prisons has contributed to mass jailings for drug offenses, with African Americans, who make up 13% of the population, accounting for 53.5 percent of all persons who entered prison because of a drug conviction. Yet marijuana usage rates are about the same for Blacks and whites.

Studies show that private prisons perform poorly in numerous ways: prevention of intra-prison violence, jail conditions, rehabilitation efforts. Investigations in Ohio and New Jersey revealed a familiar pattern of money-saving cutbacks and worsening conditions.   I was not aware we had private prisons. I knew there was talk of them bit I didn't know they existed.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: This is for you Jog.
Reply #1 - 08/09/13 at 14:17:59

& When it is profitable to have prisoners, prisoners will be abundant.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 08/09/13 at 15:19:54

Most prisons are to at least some extent privatized these days. The local one is wholly owned and run by a private company, has convicts from all over the country in it. The state prison we will be riding by on the way to Fort Pillow Battlefield is half state, 1/2 contractor run.

The private "bulls" are better trained, stronger, tougher, meaner, don't coddle the prisoners and in the end cost less than running the prisons with state employees. State gets a huge kick back, so ... win win... Huh

Scares the hell out of me, my politics aren't exactly in lock step with the modern era...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/09/13 at 15:22:38

Now, you tell me how a state can PROMISE to maintain occupancy in a prison unless theyre ready to CREATE criminals to lock up..

About 17,100,000 results (0.40 seconds)
Search Results

Private Prison Corporation Offers Cash In Exchange For State Prisons
   www.huffingtonpost.com/.../private-prisons-buying-state-prison...‎
   by Chris Kirkham
   Feb 14, 2012 - The outright ownership of a prison generally makes state contracts more ... The mandate to keep prisons full raises questions about cost ...
   Contract Requires Prisons 90% Filled | The Big Picture
   www.ritholtz.com/blog/2012/02/contract-requires-prisons-90-filled/‎
   Feb 20, 2012 - Property laws? Civil Liberties? Not when they stand in the way of profits: Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) has reached out to 48 ...
   Private Prison Company to Demand 90% Occupancy - AllGov
   www.allgov.com/.../private-prison-company-to-demand-90-occupancy?...‎
   Feb 16, 2012 - But in return CCA wants a 20-year contract and assurances that the state will keep the prisons at least 90% full. In the past CCA has operated ...
   Eye On Boise - Spokesman.com
   www.spokesman.com/blogs/boise/‎
   7 days ago - 60% of eligible schools sign up for state wireless contract ... The figures cover people hired to fill new jobs, along with those hired to fill existing ...
   By the Numbers: The U.S.'s Growing For-Profit Detention Industry ...
   www.propublica.org/.../by-the-numbers-the-u.s.s-growing-for-profit-det...[ch8...
   Jun 20, 2012 - Remember, states selling their prisons to private owners are required by the contract they sign to keep those prisons 90% full at all times.
   Prison Industries: "Don't Let Society Improve or We Lose Business"
   truth-out.org/news/item/8731‎
   Apr 26, 2012 - In order to keep the prison beds filled, The GEO Group and others have ... GEO contracts with 13 states, the Federal Bureau of Prison, the U.S. ...
   Private purchasing of prisons locks in occupancy rates ...
   usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2012-03-01/...prisons.../1‎
   Mar 7, 2012 - The $72.7 million prison purchase was aimed at helping to fill a $188 ... Florida decided not to contract with private firms to run state prisons.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 08/09/13 at 16:01:17

Man, I'm a white guy living in the Memphis area, that has to violate some kind of screwy statute... I know the fact we have a naturist facility does... probably the fact we don't grow GMO crops breaks a few "rules"...  and, horror of horrors, we raise our own met chickens next to an uncapped abandoned well (that is plumb full of golf balls, er, I mean black walnuts)...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 08/09/13 at 16:31:20

Privatized Prisons spend huge, lobbying against legalizing pot, and getting rid of the "War on Drugs" as well ...
Wonder why?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #6 - 08/09/13 at 22:55:29

I've heard talk of privatized prisons but I didn't know they even existed. I learn a lot on this forum. Bot what you said makes perfectly good sense.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 01:28:51

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › This is for you Jog.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.