Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Congress cutting Postal Service cost (Read 167 times)
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Congress cutting Postal Service cost
08/03/13 at 10:12:16

Congress looking to cut USPS losses by ending door-to-door mail delivery. Instead, NSA will just read your mail to you over the phone.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Congress cutting Postal Service cost
Reply #1 - 08/03/13 at 11:41:34

Mine's mostly bills... they're welcome to 'em... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #2 - 08/03/13 at 12:15:52

+1!!!!!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/03/13 at 12:25:10

I swiped a sign from a convenience store & stuck it on the mailbox.

No Bills Larger than $20.00 accepted.

Didnt do a bit of good..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 08/05/13 at 07:33:40

I can turn the USPS profitable in 1 second.
Charge for boxes ...
If you show up with stuff in a USPS box - you get charged for the box ...
I know of several 1000 people who have "ebay stores" who are getting boxes and packing their stuff into boxes ... and expect to sell ... except they will take 50 years to sell @ thier prices ... They sell 1-2 a month ... have floor to ceiling crap in a 20X50 corner of "their store"

Redesign the USPS boxes ...
New design is paid for when you get it say $3 a box. You get $3 off that in postage - so the price isn;t going up, its just that wasterage is being cut out.
If you have Old design box, if you show up in that box, its going to be charged $3 + the actual postage.

The exception is, if you show up with a box you're reusing ... then you dont get dinged the $3

No raising of prices ... it will just make people pay and think twise before using USPS boxes for their junk ... stuff that will never get shipped.

Yea I am guilty of this too ... but I dont do it on the scale some Idiots do ... and now a days I got a million boxes I got from the liquor store ... so I have 1000's more than I would ever need ... My junk is now in liquor boxes. It get into USPS box when shipping ...else it sit in liquor box.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #5 - 08/05/13 at 08:54:16

The Postal Service breaks even according to a TV add.

IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #6 - 08/05/13 at 09:13:03

Whats sad/funny about this.. IS Why the Post office is in such bad shape ( or at least partially why)
My friend works for the PO and has been since before I graduated college.. so nearly 30 years. The big budget killer for the PO is that congress REQUIRES them to keep so many years worth of retirement locked up. It didn't use to be that way. Why would congress do that??? because it offsets their bad budgeting ( on the books).  The surplus cash  sitting in the PO retirement funds get to look like the fed has more balanced budget than it really has. And NO congress isn't going to change that.  
And yes, mail has gone down, though packages has gone up. But packages are more profitable and thus there is competition for that while plain old envelopes is just all cost.

To me the first fix is to end any and all discounts for direct mail.. it costs what it costs to mail. Then raise it to 50 cents. Ending the " to the door" is fine as well. Get your lazy butt up and go out to the street like the rest of us. Finally rural routes with a just a huge distance to population might need either a surcharge or central post box ( like at the head of the road).  Really... this is such minor crap given the real issues congress needs to fix.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #7 - 08/05/13 at 11:41:16

" Really this is minor crap congress needs to fix" +1!!!! The Post Office runs itself and does a very good job, doesn't cost the taxpayers a dime. Congress has to find someone to pick on instead of doing their real job.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 08/06/13 at 08:11:03

There is a 1000 other reasons why the PO is going broke ...

Ok lets try this ... see if someone can answer this ...

OK you send a bunch of stuff to lets say India. A small package ...
OK how does the PO get paid - easy - you buy stamps ...
Then The PO carts it to the port in India, past which the Indian PO carts to their house. Guess what ... USPS does not give $$$ to Indian PO.

So think about that a few mins ...

PO needs to be profitable, and the fact congress did this or that has very little to do with it ... somewhere the USPS is getting robbed blind ... I know where, you guy think and answer that question I posted above - its a bit roundabout - but answer it and yo uwould know who and why USPS is getting killed.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 08/06/13 at 08:33:53

Well,, If I send a letter to Lindale, a little town about 30 miles West, it goes to the PO, then about 100 miles to Dallas, then 70 miles back to Lindale, then it gets bundled up & handed to a delivery person making a decent paycheck,, & I spent 47 cents, I dont think there IS enough bulk mail to cover that inefficiency,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 08/06/13 at 09:02:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/06/13 at 08:33:53:
Well,, If I send a letter to Lindale, a little town about 30 miles West, it goes to the PO, then about 100 miles to Dallas, then 70 miles back to Lindale, then it gets bundled up & handed to a delivery person making a decent paycheck,, & I spent 47 cents, I dont think there IS enough bulk mail to cover that inefficiency,

Believe it or not ... hub and spoke method is cheaper than the random fishnet/relay method. And more reliable too. Not sure about JOG<->Lindale specifically, but overall ...
You recall those days in the 30's and 40's when a letter sent in 1922 got to that other town 20 miles away after 55 years ... that crap wont happen on the hub/spoke method.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 08/06/13 at 11:01:25

I really cant deal with you,, Youre so incredibly willing to overlook the obvious to point at the obscure.
I SPENT 47 CENTS to pay for all that travel.

Now, was there Any placce where I was saying they didnt GET the mail where it was sent? NO,, I was only talking about the costs why they are losing money., the topic wasnt that they Lost the MAIL, God youre irritating,

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 08/06/13 at 11:14:04

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/06/13 at 11:01:25:
I really cant deal with you,, Youre so incredibly willing to overlook the obvious to point at the obscure.
I SPENT 47 CENTS to pay for all that travel.

Now, was there Any placce where I was saying they didnt GET the mail where it was sent? NO,, I was only talking about the costs why they are losing money., the topic wasnt that they Lost the MAIL, God youre irritating,

God JOG ... you're making the USPS lost 20 flucking cents if that ... its a pittance compared to the titanic sized hole you are missing ...

OK Fine - now tha twe have accepted I am irritating ... you have an answer ... or just more garbage to cover up your ignorance ... yea you can quote DailyKatenews.com about how USPS gave $80 million to retiree post master general in 1 dollar bills ...

Does this moron represent all the rest of you on this thread, or does any one else have an answer ...

And no Its not an insider answer I have, it may collapse too ... but I need to be proved of that in any case.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 08/06/13 at 15:14:54

& How many pieces of mail do they lose 20 cents ON?

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #14 - 08/06/13 at 20:05:59

End Saturday delivery, make the fat overweight lazy bastards go to a centralized post box location (and make it a skinny door; tough Shiite for the grandma and grandpa's  looking for pics of the little ones..the darn wheelchairs can't get around so well.  Shouldn't have lived so long as to end up wheelchair bound.  Think of the money SSA and Medicare would save. Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 01:25:59

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Congress cutting Postal Service cost

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.