Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Has anyone ever thought about EFI Conversion (Read 195 times)
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Has anyone ever thought about EFI Conversion
08/09/13 at 12:47:40

Has anyone ever thought about converting a Savage to be Fuel Injected?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Has anyone ever thought about EFI Conversion
Reply #1 - 08/09/13 at 12:59:14

If Suzuki is not smart enough to do it....What chance do I have?

One of the reasons I bought my Savage is so that it is simple, I can work on it, and it is reliable.  I no longer have the vacuum petcock, clutch or kick stand safety switches or relays, and my compression release is manual.  I am a fan of KISS......Keep It Simple Stupid!

My bike starts, idles and runs fine....and gets 58 mpg with my carb.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dancomer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/09/13 at 13:31:54

i would be very interested in fuel injection but have not started the search process for parts just yet

IP Logged
Cloudy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gordonton, New Zealand
Reply #3 - 08/09/13 at 14:11:15

Had a mate try to inject his 1400 intruder, after several years of mucking about and a small fortune spent, ie- 1500 heads, the injectors from other bikes custom made manifolds, etc, etc he gave up and fitted a single carb. Which still never ran right.
He's a qualified mechanic and knows his stuff, but just couldn't get it to work.

Wife- 06 Suzuki S40
Me-05 Speedmaster, Short Slashcut TORs, Thunderbike A,I,R Kit, K&N Air Filter,Snorkel Removed, Dynojet Stage 1 Kit(126 main), NGK Iridium Plugs, Bar End Mirrors, Fenda Extenda
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/09/13 at 14:23:30

WWW   IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #5 - 08/09/13 at 14:39:55

Some interesting information
http://delphi.com/manufacturers/other/powertrain/small/

http://www.ecotrons.co/400cc_to_800cc_Engine_EFI_kit.html

http://www.mbe-motorsports.com/catalog/index.php/cPat/22

The second link (ecotrons) looks the most promising, they make a 38mm throttle body and have a kit for the Suzuki DR650. I would say that it can be done with a little know how.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 08/09/13 at 15:17:58

Only in my nightmares... Grin,,,

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 08/09/13 at 15:36:28

Suzuki put it on the TU250 rehash to meet Commiefornia emissions and it STILL got banned from that market. Forget it, not worth the retrofit induced migraine and baldness after pulling all your hair out fitting stuff that wasn't made to work on proto-technology.

Make more sense to fit a cable slide Mikuni 38mm carb, proper jets, and a better ignition system (like points, at least they are cheap to fix when they get fried), delete the craptastic alternator in favor of a magneto, kill several birds with one stone...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Face

Tubes Rule !!!

SL,UT
Reply #8 - 08/09/13 at 18:57:36

Yes....I have thought about it......a lot.

Initially it was because I planned on running a supercharger and didn't want to tune or pressurize a carb for boosted use. That train of thought has crashed and burned. I'll explain more once I start a build thread. However,    I think I will still fuel inject.

Why?       Why the he!! not?   It's a can of worms I'm willing to open. If everything falls apart, I can always throw on a 36mm carb and call it a day.

The two most promising options are the Ecotrons and the Megasquirt. Google "dr650 ecotrons" and follow the link to the dr650 forum. Four of their members acted as test installers/tuners for the ecotrons kit. Very good info on there. Another member built his own kit with Megasquirt components, also a good read.

I think there's a good chance you can find something that will work, but at the end of the day, is the performance or price or ease of install "better" than a carb? Alomost definately NOT!!!  Please understand, I'm not saying don't do it.......I'm gonna do it..... but I like tinkering.  I like trying stuff few people try.  I have a little disposable income.  And most importantly, I have lots of time on my hands.....this conversion WILL take lots of time.

If you decide to go for it, keep me in the loop. I'd be happy to help anyway I can, and it'd be nice for me to have someone else to bounce ideas and fuel maps off of.

This reminds me of a quote from Jesse James.  "I'd rather fail at something really hard, than succeed at something easy."

"I have not failed. I've just found 1,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #9 - 08/09/13 at 23:08:57

Um....huh? why not just grab an efi engine and put it in the frame? along with the ecu, the extra fuel tubing, the pump, the...nevermind...it can barely handle the electrical circuit now, let along adding 3 other components that will needed to be added along with a fuse box for all the new components.... OWWW my head hurts....

Nuff said....um wanna blow a hole thru the mountain? or drive over it? um, why do I need to go over the mountain? I live here....

Smiley Smiley Smiley

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Face

Tubes Rule !!!

SL,UT
Reply #10 - 08/10/13 at 11:34:12

Old Rider makes a good point.....and I respect it......however, a lot of the stuff we do to our rides doesn't NEED to be done, we just WANT do do it.

Some mods like forward controls and seat risers are done for a practical purpose.  Others, like big bore kits and LED lighting are done for the fun of it. The challange of engineering something off the beaten path is exciting to some of us. Not so much for others, and that's fine.

There are many many things you could do to a bike to achieve a certain goal. Swaping out a complete engine is one of those things. You could get more power, EFI, dual overhead cams, an open primary, whatever you want. But sometimes it's the project that is the fun, not the end result. If it truly is the end result you're after, buy a bike that already has everything you want. Done. If you're like me, and like redesigning and tweaking things, start modding. And maybe never be done.

So look at an EFI conversion as a project or challenge rather than an upgrade. If it's the upgrade you're after, tried and true cable slide carbs are cheap, easy, and will give you just as much (if not more)  performance than a hodge podge injection system. Whatever you decide, keep us updated!

"I have not failed. I've just found 1,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas A. Edison
  IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #11 - 08/10/13 at 21:15:37

Ahh ...yup.. buy a 650 on the cheap and go mad scientist on it! I'm still trying to sell the Harley so I can buy just one savage.... if I get enough maybe I could buy two!!

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:27:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Has anyone ever thought about EFI Conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.