Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Observation and Question from a Newbie (or Noob) (Read 136 times)
Snubby241
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ESCONDIDO, CA 920029
Observation and Question from a Newbie (or Noob)
08/04/13 at 13:46:59

I've noticed that distance seems to decrease as my skill level increases.
The first week riding to and from work it was "Good, got passed that intersection, please G-d let me make it to the next in one piece" Now it's
"darn I'm home already, where can I go next?"  I like it better now.
Any other newies experience that?

Pre-running.  After my initial disaster with a bike, I bought a sports car,
pretty much traveled the same roads I'm riding now. After I bought this
bike, I found myself pre-running the routes I was thinking about taking just to check them out and keep myself out of trouble.  I'm passed that now, just curious if any other new riders have done that.

I an blessed with living in San Diego County, perfect for sporty cars and bikes.  Anymore, I'm trying to find a reason to drive the car, even entertained the thought of selling it so I could buy another bike.

Talked myself out of that one.  Some ladies that don't like bikes, will like the sporty car.

2013 S40, I don't want a pickle.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Observation and Question from a Newbie (or Noo
Reply #1 - 08/04/13 at 14:28:08

I lived in a town with only a coupla lites, almost no traffic, & rode out in the boonies for a coupla months before I went into Tyler, then only to the outskirts for a few minutes.. after a month or so of that I went all the way into town & DANG if some broad didnt merge into my lane, forcing me into a Hard countersteer lane change Hop,, scared me real bad, BUT, I handled it & that upped my confidence, so, I got on in the mix after that,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 08/04/13 at 15:01:40

Sounds like a normal process.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 08/04/13 at 16:52:18

Yea just proceed at your own pace, no reason to rush anything just be safe and enjoy yourself  Wink  It's better to be on your toes and alert then just laid back and careless any ways  Cool

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 08/04/13 at 16:56:51

Take the safety class,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/05/13 at 11:44:31

I noticed a similar feeling about my new cafe' conversion a few months ago.  The day I got it ready to ride I took it for a ride around the block and worried.....nothing went wrong.  The next day I rode it about 30 miles and worried.......it made the trip without a problem.  Over the next few weeks I got braver and rode farther.....then I rode it for 4 straight days on the Dragon Run and the only thing I had to do was tighten the brake stop on the rear set pedal on the 2nd day.

Yesterday I went on a 5 hour ride all alone.....and never worried once about getting back home!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Snubby241
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ESCONDIDO, CA 920029
Reply #6 - 08/05/13 at 15:54:26

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/04/13 at 16:56:51:
Take the safety class,

Yep, I've had classes up the ying yang. Took MSF first, which around here makes you safe for riding in a parking lot.  Went thru several sessions of Learn To Ride, but the best thing I did is get private instruction. Has really paid off.  He stresses control and balance, manouvering in small spaces.

I seem to have jumped from 200 miles on the odometer to over 1400.  I just bought this thing end of Mar beginnig of April.

Did a 128 mile ride yesterday, thought I was heading home at one point but just kept on going.  I am definitely hooked on this.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 08/05/13 at 16:50:43

If you have a friend with a dirt bike, do whatever it takes to get some seat time. What your body learns in those moments when the tires drift a bit in a turn just cant be explained. YOULL learn to shift youre weight & adjust the bikes angle( tires lean angle on the dirt) very subtly. That translates to street bikes & asphalt.

IP Logged
old_rider
Serious Thumper

Backyard Bill
Productions

flordia panhandle
Reply #8 - 08/05/13 at 17:02:21

Yup and in about 40 years you won't be afraid to do a 4-5k ride! My last big ride was about 3,875 miles, took a few days, but enjoyed seeing the country. Good insurance with a tow package is a comforting thing to have on longer trips.

We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 08/05/13 at 18:34:38

Snubby, you will have some idiot merge onto you and make you have to take immediate action in the other direction. Somebody will stick the nose of a '72 Cadillac into your lane at an intersection. You will put yuor foot down on some sand or grease at a crowded intersection. You will drop your bike and then fall on top of it as you push it out of the garage to show it to your friends (Usually about 30 of them--WITH GIRLS present!).

And you will ride with the single minded purpose of getting across the apex of a mountain curve and know thousands of miles of pure joy that makes you "Wah Hoo" or just gives you a big smile. Take care until you do at least one of the first things. Practice safely until it comes to you, grasshopper. You are coming to the most dangerous part of learning to ride IMO  Smiley  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Snubby241
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ESCONDIDO, CA 920029
Reply #10 - 08/06/13 at 17:23:31

old_rider wrote on 08/05/13 at 17:02:21:
Yup and in about 40 years you won't be afraid to do a 4-5k ride! My last big ride was about 3,875 miles, took a few days, but enjoyed seeing the country. Good insurance with a tow package is a comforting thing to have on longer trips.

Ah well, as I'm 61 I guess I'll miss out on the 4-5K ride in 40 years, though my Paternal Grandma made it to 101.  Who knows?

IP Logged
Snubby241
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ESCONDIDO, CA 920029
Reply #11 - 08/06/13 at 17:31:46

Boofer wrote on 08/05/13 at 18:34:38:
Snubby, you will have some idiot merge onto you and make you have to take immediate action in the other direction. Somebody will stick the nose of a '72 Cadillac into your lane at an intersection. You will put yuor foot down on some sand or grease at a crowded intersection. You will drop your bike and then fall on top of it as you push it out of the garage to show it to your friends (Usually about 30 of them--WITH GIRLS present!).

And you will ride with the single minded purpose of getting across the apex of a mountain curve and know thousands of miles of pure joy that makes you "Wah Hoo" or just gives you a big smile. Take care until you do at least one of the first things. Practice safely until it comes to you, grasshopper. You are coming to the most dangerous part of learning to ride IMO  Smiley  

I get to play dodge 'em every day, my ride home goes past High Schools letting out and a couple of elderly communities.  Have to watch out for those tufts of blue hair sticking out above the steering wheel.

I did the foot sliding out from under you thing a few weekends ago, luckily, no witnesses.  Chipped by windscreen and bruised my pride.

I treat myself like I'm my own student. After every screw up I try and analyze what I did wrong then go back over that route again to do it right.

I don't really know how long I'll get to do it, so I'm trying really hard to do it right and get the most out of it.

I worked in the company's training dept for 6-7 years, just applying those skills to myself I guess.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #12 - 08/06/13 at 18:48:19

Sounds like you're on your way. Between the Rest Home and School, I'd watch the girls texting on the phone 10 to one over the old folks. Just my experience.  Smiley BTW turned 60 in April. Would you like a picture of my new hip surgery scar?-----anybody?  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 08/07/13 at 00:50:58

I did the foot sliding out from under you thing a few weekends ago, luckily, no witnesses.  Chipped by windscreen and bruised my pride.

foot sliding out from under you thing

I call that maneuver "The POwer Splits" because youve got the weight of the bike pulling ya down. Watch for sand. gravel. leaves, anythng that makes for less traction,

Would you like a picture of my new hip surgery scar?-----anybody?  Grin

I have my own scars to look at, but thanks for the offer..

IP Logged
Snubby241
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

ESCONDIDO, CA 920029
Reply #14 - 08/07/13 at 19:09:45

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/07/13 at 00:50:58:

foot sliding out from under you thing

I call that maneuver "The POwer Splits" because youve got the weight of the bike pulling ya down. Watch for sand. gravel. leaves, anythng that makes for less traction,

Would you like a picture of my new hip surgery scar?-----anybody?  Grin

I have my own scars to look at, but thanks for the offer..

Ive got mine from two rotator cuff surgeries resulting from my first attempt at motorcycles 3 or so years ago. Lips Sealed

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:30:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › Observation and Question from a Newbie (or Noob)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.