Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
My new project bike!
07/31/13 at 10:06:03

My uncle had a friend pass away and he is helping to clean things out and settle the estate.  I was able to buy a motorcycle from them, and I really never thought I would own a bike like this.  But who could pass up a 1967 Honda S65 with the original 1967 license plate still bolted on, only 372 miles on the odometer....and the original 1967 gasoline still in the fuel tank?

This is going to be a clean it up, get it running, and leave it alone kind of project.  I wonder how 65cc will handle our Kentucky hills?

IMG_0928.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Re: My new project bike!
Reply #1 - 07/31/13 at 10:36:50

Dave wrote on 07/31/13 at 10:06:03:
 I wonder how 65cc will handle our Kentucky hills?

What a survivor! I had to smile when i saw this.

To answer your question, it should handle the downhill portion just fine. Uphill? Not so much.

Great find and keep us posted

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #2 - 07/31/13 at 11:09:55

I'll get you an answer from my friend who grew up riding one in the Pacific Northwest... the hills in Seattle proper make the Smokies look like molehills...

Nice new toy.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
wolf391
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albany OR 97321
Reply #3 - 07/31/13 at 11:14:04

That is Great! Hate to say it, but I remember those bikes. Had a 1965 Honda 125 Scrambler I bought new. Glad you were able to rescue it and look forward to seeing it brought back to life. Smiley

'87 LS650: custom paint, custom exhaust, otherwise stock.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 07/31/13 at 11:17:13

Is that a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 07/31/13 at 11:37:27

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 07/31/13 at 11:52:48

Cool,... wish I had one... Kiss Kiss Kiss...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
PiaFea

Against the Wind !

Houston, Texas - USA
Reply #7 - 07/31/13 at 12:51:25

This is a very good and reliable bike that Honda has manufactured.
I remembered riding this type Honda SS50, S65 in the 70 in Vietnam.
We bored the cylinder up to 125cc. Plenty of power in our time for a small frame rider.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 07/31/13 at 13:36:37

Wow Dave, that is quite a find !

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 07/31/13 at 16:06:44

IDK what you paid for it, but before you even clean it up I think you should poke around & see what its worth, It may be worth more as is than after you wash it, It could be worth quite a bit,, considering condition & miles & tag..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Roberto1444
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brazil
Reply #10 - 07/31/13 at 17:12:19

It made me remember immediately of this cool project from Deus Ex-Machina, those Australian custom bike designers. Nice find!

Nice, nice, very nice. So many different people in the same device. (Kurt Vonnegut)
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 07/31/13 at 17:46:23

Best source for parts and diagrams...http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-s65-sport-65-usa_model1101/partslist/

Good write up on the model...http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-japanese-motorcycles/honda-s65.aspx...

Expect to downshift, a lot. That's from a friend who rode his all over the west coast in the early 70s.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Stealthmobile
YaBB Newbies

Play the grey!

whitehorse, yukon, canada
Reply #12 - 07/31/13 at 20:10:53

super cool! you are gonna have way too much fun with that. try and not rub it in too much, eh?  Smiley

'06 s40 stock (for now)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 08/01/13 at 04:11:40

Thank for all the nice comments......I think it is going to be a fun bike for an occasional spin around the block.  I do feel really lucky to have found it, and I believe this is one of those finds that only come along occasionally when you are in the right place a the right time.  Most of the really cool stuff this guy had is being sold by word of mouth long before it will be made available to the public.

I got the bike unloaded last night and put air in the tires.  The front tire still has the little rubber nubbies on it.

I need to clean it up some.....I am afraid I will catch some flesh eating bacteria if I don't.  I used some polishing compound on the tank and the strange brown emminations wll rub off.  I think that somehow rust stains came up through the pores in the paint without lifting the paint.  The chrome has rust pits - but will clean up OK.

I was able to look the bike over a bit last night.  The fuel tank has the 46 year old gasoline in it, and the entire fuel system needs a clean and flush.  The carb has a strange feature I have not figured out yet, as it has an oil hose that comes from the engine and attaches to the front of the carb, and then a return hose back to a fitting on the engine.  Perhaps the engine oil is used to warm up the carb to prevent icing - or the carb is used as an oil cooler?  The muffler baffle was missing and I ordered a new one last night.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #14 - 08/01/13 at 08:07:23

Wow Dave

That's just like my first bike , 1968 S65 ,  I wanted a Triumph 650 and mom got me a 65 instead ....  Wink.... probley saved my llife ????

Anyway I put 10,000+ miles on it in the two years I road it.    Its deadth came by way of tranismission failer.    I bored it out to 2nd oversize and put an intake valve from a honda 90 in it (bored the intake channel also).    Well the little bike would "Wheellee" just fine after that and eat honda 90's for lunch.   But the transmission was'nt made to be treated like that.

That springer type front-end sure was nice !    I rode it to Knoxville once and it crused at 40 mph up any of the hills in the area no problem.   It did 56mph on top end (+- 10,000 RPM) so it got rode at 45mph a lot , wich was a lot better than the bicycle it replaced !  Grin

Mine was White also     Smiley Smiley Smiley   Get it running and ride it down here for a visit ... it will make it just fine ( 45mph all day long).

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:28:19

General CategoryThe Cafe › My new project bike!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.