Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
86 Suzuki Savage Cylinder Head Plug Replacement (Read 177 times)
tritch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

86 Suzuki Savage Cylinder Head Plug Replacement
07/30/13 at 19:37:28

I am working on my 86 Suzuki Savage replacing the head plug. So far I have been following Clymer's Suzuki LS650 Savage service repair manual. According to the book, you need to put the engine in TDC by turning the alternator rotor bolt until the two notches like up. After that, there should be free play in both rocker arms (page 78 of the book or 89 of the .pdf if you happen to have it). I have no free play in either rocker arm. I also tried to turn it 180 degrees and had the same results. Is this normal or am I missing something?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: 86 Suzuki Savage Cylinder Head Plug Replacemen
Reply #1 - 07/30/13 at 20:42:03

Tritch,  there are known issues with Clymers -- one of which is that it tells you to rotate the crank in the wrong direction.   This sorta screws you up.

You need an "error proofing" reference on that job to work with in addition to Clymers -- try this one.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1256079122

And here is a listing of all known Clymers screwups.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1119775997

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
tritch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/30/13 at 21:32:38

Oldfeller, you said "This sorta screws you up,"  Is okay to take the cover off?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/30/13 at 21:56:22

is it on tdc?

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 07/31/13 at 04:50:56

Turn the engine over from the left side hole where the TDC marks are, with the wrench goiing forward when on top and rearward when on the bottom...... and watch the valve operation.  When the engine is at TDC you will not see the exhuast rockers move as the rotor approaches the TDC mark on the left crank side.  IF you see the exhaust rocker moving as you turn.....you need to turn the crank around one more revolution to get to the real TDC.

The free play in the rockers you are talking about is only 0.004"....so it is just a slight amount of movement you will feel.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
tritch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/31/13 at 11:25:37

I did have the motor in TDC. After taking off the head cover and looking at the plug is looks good. I took a couple pictures. It looks to me like the gasket material failed.

http://i.imgur.com/hyVOc5d.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/31/13 at 14:16:25

That is not the correct TDC....the cam lobes are both up.  They should be down.  You will have to turn the engine over to the next TDC if you want to get the head back on properly.  It also appears you have the old style plug.....you might want to get a new and improved one at the dealer.

Do yourself a favor and pull the plug out, clean everything up including the plug, and buy some Suzukibond or Yamabond instead of the orangegoo......and use is sparingly.  Use a bit of it on the plug to glue it in place.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 07/31/13 at 19:45:42

Just a quick note, tritch.  The cam is geared 1 to 2 cam to crank rotation. You'll need to rotate the crank 360 deg. to get 180 at the cam.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 08/17/13 at 18:29:51

Yep, to put it in agricultural terms, a four stroke engine goes:

Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow, Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow, Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow.....

The crank must rotate twice (or, 720 degrees) to make it through each set of the four phases (note that these four phases comprise a single full cycle).

At the beginning of the Suck (intake) phase, the piston is at TDC.  This position is generally referred to as "TDC on the exhaust stroke" as the exhaust ("Blow") phase is just ending (see below).

The piston moves down until it gets to bottom dead center (BDC).  Here is where the Suck phase ends and the Squeeze (compression) phase begins.

Then, the piston moves back up until it gets to TDC again (completing one of the two full turns that the crank needs to go through to complete one cycle).  This position is generally referred to as "TDC on the compression stroke" as the compression ("Squeeze") phase is just ending.  This is the TDC you need to achieve before taking the head cover off and before putting it back on.

Next, the piston moves back down again, during the Bang (power) phase,until it again gets to BDC.

Finally, the piston rises again during the Blow (exhaust) phase, heading back toward TDC on the exhaust stroke.  When said TDC is reached (thus completing two full crank turns and, therefore, one cycle), the piston moves back down again on the Suck phase and starts the whole 4-cycle thing over again.  

Clear as mud?

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 19:15:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 86 Suzuki Savage Cylinder Head Plug Replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.