Which Handgun? (Read 653 times)
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Which Handgun?
07/22/13 at 14:40:37

Without going into any detail, I found myself in a situation while on a road trip on the bike where I would have felt more secure with a firearm. I was able to diffuse the situation but it could have gone either way.

As some background, I was given a 22 long rifle and a 410 when i was 8 and taught how to hunt squirrel and rabbit. I sold them to get them out of the house when our first child was born (gee, that was 37 years ago) and have just never had the need or desire to get another. I am not anti-gun but they do not hold any fascination for me either.

Since I don't intend them to become a new hobby, I think I would be looking for a concealed hammer revolver, maybe a 2 or 3 inch 38 special. Less to go wrong, easier to carry, and a big enough bang to be an effective defense.

Let me have your input as to the type and make of weapon. I am researching concealed classes here in Kentucky and am still trying to decide if I want to go through with this.

TIA
Good hunting

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Re: Which Handgun?
Reply #1 - 07/22/13 at 14:59:25

A 38 revolver would work well for you. They are always ready to fire and no safety to forget about. A Smith&Wesson model 642 hammerless in stainless steel would work real well.

Some of my favorite carry guns..

Almost forgot my Ruger LCP 380.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 07/22/13 at 15:17:25

There's always the pepper spray option as well...  
I do have a gun for home protection,.. but on the rode, I think I'd carry pepper if I felt the need...
Cheaper, safer, lighter and safer... did I say safer?...  Huh...
Not to start a gun war,.. just suggesting another option...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/22/13 at 15:44:03

I was told... wasp spray by the guy that sold the pepper spray.

longer distance, more accurate... just as effective.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 07/22/13 at 15:52:01

Smith and Wesson 442 (blued) or 642 stainless.

My pocket carry is either a 1936 CZ24 9mm kurtz (.380 acp) or a Freedom Arms .22wmr 4 shot SA revolver with the front sight removed (easier to jam in an ear or nostril)...

Preferred "concealed" revolver is a 1931 S&W 3rd Model .44 Hand Ejector. Most people find a 4" barrel N frame rather bulky, I consider it a cute little toy gun. I wear a 4 or 5x glove so...  Roll Eyes

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #5 - 07/22/13 at 15:59:45

I hope this doesn't turn into a gun war. It is a legitimate question. One I have asked myself many times. Since it will not be a hobby and you probably won't maintain it often, the revolver is your best choice. A concealed hammer will not snag as easily and can actually be fired from a jacket pocket without worry. I second the 642 or some other manufacturer's equivalent. The problem may become how to carry it. It will depend on how accessible you want it to be. If you toss it in your coat pocket, make sure it zips so you don't lose it. If you are going to carry in in or on the waist band, you will need to get used to having it there. Pants pocket carry, while possible with the J-frame, is bulky. I have had mine fall out of my front pocket holster while leaning back in an office chair. I would stay away from the semi autos even though they are easier to carry in a pocket. they are not as fool proof as a revolver and will need cleaned and lubed periodically. Plus the springs in magazines weaken over time if it is always loaded. I looked at the derringer type guns as well. They are just as big but heavier than the small revolvers but are typically limited to 2 rounds. If you are looking for a deep concealment, last resort, SHTF weapon, a North American Arms .22LR with a necklace holster will conceal even with a super minimum of clothing. You need to be right on top of the criminal and be able to place a shot to do damage. The sight of the gun may scare him away though. Whatever you choose, the best weapon is the one you will carry. If it is too big or confusing, it will sit at home. While I agree that pepper/wasp spray may work, if the attacker is messed up on something, I would rather hit him with lead.

Whatever you choose, even if it is wasp spray, you will need to practice. You don't need to go out every weekend but you need to know how it works and where the spray/lead goes when you pull the trigger.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 07/22/13 at 16:11:34

Just Googled wasp spray...
Snopes says it is legit, but not tested, and may be illegal some places...
http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/waspspray.asp

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #7 - 07/22/13 at 16:23:40

North American Arms .22LR with a necklace holster

That's what I said... Mine is the older magnum version before the founders of Freedom Arms got mad at each other and one took full sized, one took necklace gun production. Just watch the front sight, mine actually fell off and got lost years ago.

Practice with a 642? Not on your life, I value my thumb too much. Horrible gun to fire more than a cylinder or two a year.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 - 07/22/13 at 16:39:45

I carry a Ruger SR9C unless I'm riding, I found it to be a bit too bulky on the bike. So I picked up a Ruger LC9 and keep that on my waist while riding and hardly notice it. Both are easy to shoot and quite accurate.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 07/22/13 at 16:41:40

I shoot  50 rounds at a time throught my 642 without issues. Now the 640 357 J frame I have is a different story. It kicks like a mule. I only shoot 110 or 125 grain through it. Smiley

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #10 - 07/22/13 at 18:53:04

I my self and looking at the S&W M&P in a 9. Feels real good in my hand. I suggest you go to a local store with a large selection and start holding them. Find a couple that feel good then go to the local range and rent them. Not something you can just grab any old one.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #11 - 07/22/13 at 20:15:45

Apache Snow, it's my hand size. My standard carry is a dragoon Superblack Hawk framed Old Army. The standard Old Army with Blackhawk grip frame is too small. My 3rd Model .44HE is mostly a paperweight (very expensive paperweight, factory full nickel plate with carved pearl grip scales).

Size 13EEE boots, 4 or 5x gloves. A Sig P6 feels small. Only comfortable grip autoloader I've had was a .44 Auto Mag.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #12 - 07/22/13 at 20:42:06

Hay Blinky

If it not easy to carry ,... you'll leave it at the house .

That NAA 22Mag /2" barrel has more speed and energy that a 22LR-Rifle  (North Americans Arm has a web site with data/barrel lengths,etc) 

and  

Its not what you hit with .. its where you hit that make the difference.'

I've shot a lot of deer size critters.   I've help track 30-06 shot deer run a half mile and I've seen 222 Rem shot deer drop dead in there tracks.   The first deer I ever cleaned was a 22LR 70Yard shot through the lungs that ran only 10-15 yards.   (No that ain't legal, and I didn't do it) I just helped not waste the meat.  Embarrassed    At the time it seemed like the right thing to do ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 07/22/13 at 23:13:47

WD wrote on 07/22/13 at 20:15:45:
Size 13EEE boots, 4 or 5x gloves. A Sig P6 feels small. Only comfortable grip autoloader I've had was a .44 Auto Mag.

Shouldn't bullets just bounce off of you?...
What do you need a gun for?...
Grin...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 07/23/13 at 00:51:41

Id like one of those 45/410 revolvers. PUts ( IIRC) 5 rounds of 410 shot shell in your hand. What could be better for close up discouraging someone from bein a thingy?

One thing that bothers me is what IF there are innocent people in range, behind the target? Makes a shot shell look better than a powerful handgun round.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:20:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › Which Handgun?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.