Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Microsoft buys Nokia for 7 billion (CEO as well?) (Read 71 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Microsoft buys Nokia for 7 billion (CEO as well?)
09/03/13 at 05:28:59

Microsoft is in a crunch again, they have announced that the stupid tounge sticking out buffoon is gone but have kept him on as "walking dead" to still go make some more stupid executive decisions for them.

So, he has decided to go buy Nokia.   What is another 7 billion dollars to Microchoke?  Peanuts, I am sure.   Ballmer has more $$$ than that looming in front of him in the next big Surface write off which will have to be booked in the 4th quarter of this year (write downs must be booked inside the quarter that they occur).

ALL the survivors of the 32,000 Nokia people will relocate to Washington state, including their CEO.   Remember, Nokia used to be a large well respected company before partnering with Microsoft.   They were the #1 cell phone supplier in the world, now they are not even ranked in the top 10 after getting Microchoked for three years.   Now, Microsoft buys them for pennies on the dollar after having run them into the ground .....

Microsoft will now become a direct production competitor to all their phone suppliers.   This will go over big, I am sure with the rest of their "partners".  The South Korean and Chinese major phone suppliers will react to this change, probably by promoting their own home grown phone OS systems like Sailfish and Tisen, which came about this past year as a reaction to Google buying Motorola.

Question now is:   is the CEO himself part of the deal, since Microsoft surely needs a CEO that understands the cell phone world so very very very badly?

Roll Eyes

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Microsoft buys Nokia for 7 billion (CEO as wel
Reply #1 - 09/03/13 at 05:56:13

It would appear that you are not a big fan of Microsoft.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 09/03/13 at 06:05:46

I jest love Microsoft, they are the most entertaining OS provider in the whole wide world.

I get entertained by them every time I have to fix my wife's 3 laptops (repeatedly, one right after another like clockwork).

I get entertained by them every time her Office CDs won't load because MS has shut them down again automatically for "illegal use".  

I get entertained every time a Vista service download stops her Vista machine just about cold for an hour or so while it downloads half of her operating system yet again for the umpteenth time.

I get entertained listening for two years to Microsoft promise a Windows for ARM, then delivers less than half of a functioning ARM OS on totally locked-down hardware no less.

I get entertained watching MS getting class action sued for doing stupid stupid stupid things and generally screwing up repeatedly.

And soon, I will be entertained by the NEW, totally different user friendly open source cooperative Microsoft.  

That will be the very best entertainment of all.

« Last Edit: 09/03/13 at 10:06:06 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #3 - 09/03/13 at 08:56:43

I am pretty sure Nokia had evaporated prior to the MS wedding. They never made it past clamshell phones, till MS married them.

7 Billion sound excessive to me. As I recall they have been waiting for MS to swoop in, had they not Nokia was doomed. Should have waited a month and picked up for half that.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 09/03/13 at 09:25:00

Ballmer, what else can you say?    Some think he's just buying Nokia's old intellectual property with the intent of suing somebody over some minor detail later on, but that's just Ballmer being Ballmer.

Who else would pay that much for a company that was stupid enough to quit developing their own products and instead glommed on to MS of all people as a "latest, greatest thing" and rode that splinter filled slide all the way down to the bottom, twice no less .....

Nokia had been an independent company that developed Simbian OS and was a force in open source development as well.   Then they drank the MS coolaid and died, mentally .....

Hats off to the South Koreans and Chinese, who are currently developing Tisen and Sailfish, both open source phone operating systems that are coming along quite well.   Hats off to Firefox, who is going great guns in Brazil, Spain and Indochina.   My bet is that at least two of these newcomers will exceed Microsoft's market share by the end of 2014.

Sailfish, BTW, shows signs of being able to be a tablet and laptop OS if it continues down its current pathways.

Firefox Tablet is under development now too -- it too could power a laptop some day fairly soon.

Both products are based on Linux and everyone is sure that Firefox (Mozilla Foundation) certainly knows enough to build a Linux OS that could be convergent for all platforms.   And, being Mozilla, they could get all sorts of willing help from existing distros, Linaro, etc to do just that.

================

The only thing stopping Microsoft from being a real player in phone land is Microsoft itself  (them and their current mindset that is really really closed proprietary PC based, not phone like at all).

MS still hasn't realized that nobody is going to pay them a lot of money for ANYTHING having to do with a phone -- open source will always be the most cost efficent OS for phones.

And apps on open source OS products will always tend to be much less expensive as they make the developers enought money at a dollar a hit.

Once again, MS claims they can charge a lot for a "high quality OS" and for "high quality Apps" but so far neither set of items has proven to be particularly good or well programmed.  

MS believes in proprietary bloatware, and bloatware doesn't fly well in phone space.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 09/03/13 at 10:17:11

Heck, Firefox is catching on strong with the big boys now ....

"So far, 18 carriers and five handset makers, including Sony, Huawei Technologies and LG Electronics, plan to release products using the operating system."

http://www.techhive.com/article/2040584/foxconn-developing-5-firefox-os-devic...

Foxconn is the guys who build the Apple phone -- and they are backing Firefox across tablets and phones ?????    

Wow .....   remember these markets don't use the PC for much, so tablets, phones and TVs constitute just about complete convergence in those marketplaces.

« Last Edit: 09/03/13 at 20:04:22 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 09/03/13 at 19:48:21

Let’s get real: Nobody will license Windows Phone or Windows RT now

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/03/lets-get-real-nobody-will-license-windows-phone-...

OK, take the sudden EXTREME overnight popularity of Firefox OS for phones and tablets with all of them big phone boys and blend it in with the "why" explanation from this article.

Smells like Ballmer screwed the pooch again ..... Microsoft has just lost all their phone "world partners" in one fell swoop.

These boys are SERIOUS about you not becoming their direct competitor, they cranked up Tisen and Sailfish hard in the last six months (the big phone companies doing most of the work) because Google really screwed the pooch in buying Motorola.   All the phone makers want and need an alternative to Android in case Google goes funny on them.   Microsoft used to be that alternative, but they are surely gone with the wind now after screwing over LG and Samsung and now actually becoming a direct manufacturing competitor.

Already ex tablet and phone "partners" that is, LG was left holding a bunch of expensive RT tablet components that MS cancelled over half the orders on them, leaving them holding the bag for the parts).

Microsoft's last moves just this past week signaled very clearly to the phone supplier crowd that AS A MAJOR PHONE SUPPLIER YOU NEED YOUR OWN PHONE OS that you can control to a certain degree.   Firefox is/has been always a neutral face in the phone world, known to bent over backwards to act in support of phone supplier suggestions.   The Mozilla Foundation doesn't belong to anybody and they will never manufacture a phone or a tablet .... never.

Firefox will also let the phone supplier modify things much further than Android will.  And Firefox updates their software every few weeks with very small incremental updates instead of having those odd sounding desert flavors come out once a year that are locked to new updated hardware requirements.   Small updates cost less effort & data time to push to the cell phones as every phone supplier does small updates this way now.

You will see this meteoric popularity of Firefox OS grow by leaps and bounds now, especially if Google ever uses Motorola to build anything even slightly "special" that Android supports better on Motorola than on any other vendor's phone.  

Google really goofed in buying Motorola, they will likely get zero real benefit out of the purchase as they cannot even use them as a prefered supplier without ticking off all the big players even more than they are now.

Shocked     ..... and so now Microsoft only has one phone partner now, the one they just ruined completely and bought fer cheap.  

MICROSOFT"S LAMENT

"... All By Myself ....  I really feeeel All By Myself .....  I didn't wanna be ALL BY MYSELF, but I think I am (repeat endlessly)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 09/04/13 at 07:34:56

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/partners/

This page is a good read --- things to remember are:

Firefox can run well on a single core processor and that Firefox does not require a lot of memory either, 512k is more than enough.   This is very important for the very large populations in third world countries that are just now getting their first phones.

Firefox phones can cost less than $100 to buy outright -- for a 2 year plan they would be free "feature phones" to Verizon or AT&T.

Firefox has avoided legacy issues with Flash and Java -- from the get go these issues are gone.  Firefox is HTML 5 based and it intends to run HTML 5 apps either directly loaded from the Firefox Store or it can reach out and touch them through the net (allows the server farm's processors to do all the heavy lifting).

On a dual or quad core processor, Firefox screams speedwise.

By staking out the future, Firefox will possibly own it when it the future matures.   By being the first phone that the 6-8 BILLION new phone and tablet owners ever get, Firefox will be what they recognise as an OS from the very beginning.

Firefox on a TV screen through a pre-existing stick PC will complete the third world convergence troika, allowing the new third world computer user folks to have convergence from the beginning on all of their devices.   This is a very big, as it will be the "convergence support" that all OSs will be required to have before long.  

Remember Ubuntu Edge?   A current spec'ed quad cored relatively good phone could do this trick with Firefox OS right now.

Android has gotten somewhat hardware intensive lately and Google has ticked the Far Eastern phone suppliers off by not letting them screw with the last 2 Android flavors for very much.   Indeed, Google has restricted Play Store access in an attempt to get everyone to standardize on a Google standard interface (which I like, BTW).   This doesn't mean the far eastern phone suppliers like it though.

=================

Things that are not so good with Firefox is that it is still being polished as far as an interface look/feel goes.   It looks about like an unpolished Android from 2 years ago ....   Also, look out for too much customization becoming somewhat of a barrier to progress (it happened with early Android, so history may repeat itself with Firefox OS).

So .... give it a year to grow up some, then consider the Flash and Java content (that here in the USA) you are still going to want.   Netflix and YouTube are real considerations to cover before going to a Firefox phone or tablet.

Firefox as a browser always seems to grow add-ins to do whatever the heck people want, and I think that any lacks in the base Firefox phone/tablet OS in any given marketplace could be addressed that exact same way.

====================

Google, your move now.  

You have been dicking around avoiding releasing a full convergent OS for a while now.   We know you have one already finished and sitting on the shelf ..... waiting .....  

Waiting for what?   For Rockchip or Ubuntu or Cyanogen Mod to do it before you?

You currently own Tablet and Phone space and Microsoft is on the ropes and Apple has totally lost it's mojo.   You have been resting on your laurels for the last year, taking it easy.   Time to pick up the pace, boys.

PAY ATTENTION .....   Firefox is going to take a big chunk out of your worldwide market share next year (and about all of Microsoft's and some of Apple's) unless you get PRO-ACTIVE and release some of the wonders you have been lazily working on in them back rooms for the last 2 years ......

If you screw up and do an Apple/Microsoft and go into hardware manufacturing, then you will lose what you have built up to this point.  If you do nothing, you lose as well.

Cooperating and helping the Ubuntu's and Firefox's as needed and being a true open source company is your best bet.   Read and do your own core mantra ..... "Do no evil".    

Help Cyanogen Mod/Ubuntu folks finish their efforts or else you go ahead and release your own convergence OS package for the US market.

« Last Edit: 09/05/13 at 08:13:50 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:34:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Microsoft buys Nokia for 7 billion (CEO as well?)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.